A tale of two bullets

PDA

Walkalong
October 30, 2009, 08:25 PM
I left work today and went to the range to get some numbers on some loads. I had re-set my dies using the bushings on my LNL and was checking some numbers and accuracy of a couple of proven loads, plus two new ones. On one load the numbers did not match up. I believe it is a matter of needing more crimp, but I will have to re-check everything and do it again.

After shooting four loads through the chrono on target, I got ready to get serious and check the accuracy of two loads. Both using the same primer, powder charge and crimp, but two different bullets.

I shot these two groups back to back. One with a Berrys 125 Gr TrFP and the other with a Powerbond 125 Gr HP. Both plated bullets of course.

Six shots is a very small sample for getting velocity and ES/SD numbers, but it will give you a good idea.

Naturally one good group means nothing, but it sure in encouraging. I have shot this load at 100 yards and it shoots quite well. :D

6" Trooper Mk III - 7 yards, 6 shots through the chrono @ 78 Degrees & Sunny - Powder back.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108247&stc=1&d=1256944800

If you enjoyed reading about "A tale of two bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
October 30, 2009, 08:53 PM
Good shooting! And pretty pistol:)

snuffy
October 30, 2009, 08:54 PM
21 FEET? Were there powder burns on the target? If those groups were 21 yards, that would be some darned accurate shooting! If it was just getting chrono readings, then it was what it was.;):neener:

floydster
October 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
Walkalong, great shooting and a awesome revolver, thanks for posting.
Smokeyloads

rfwobbly
October 30, 2009, 09:14 PM
A tale of two bullets

Once there was a man named Samuel Colt.....
....and they lived happily ever after.

There's nothing quite like a good bedtime story. And good shooting.

Walkalong
October 30, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am simply not going to make snuffy happy until I shoot them at 25 yards, am I.

Maybe a video shooting clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm. :D

:neener:

jfh
October 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
That's the Colt you offered to sell me for $100.00, right, Walkalong?

Jim H.

Walkalong
October 30, 2009, 10:13 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x37/Walkalong/LOLhysterical.gif

Nice try though.........:cool:

jfh
October 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
shucks.

Jim H.

ants
October 31, 2009, 01:22 AM
Good golly, I love that revolver. Like eye candy to me.

Good shooting. What powder and primer were these 12 rounds?

Doug b
October 31, 2009, 01:56 AM
Mmmmmmmmm love them colt's with a good hand load.Nice shootin' Walkalong.

The Bushmaster
October 31, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey snuffy. Walkalong can't help it. His eye sight is failing and he has to be that close to see the target...:evil:

$100.00?? I'll give you $100.50....:D

:neener:

longdayjake
October 31, 2009, 03:01 PM
Sweet loads! Thanks for posting!!!

Walkalong
October 31, 2009, 08:05 PM
I had 4 Berrys and 2 Powerbonds left loaded up, so I shot a target at 25 yards. I pulled the two shots down (d*** near missed with one!), but the others are decent. :)
With 1X glasses to see the sights, the target is blurry at 25 yards. Old age/eyes stinks.

This is for you snuffy. I wish it was better, but it is what it is. ;) :neener:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108296&stc=1&d=1257030048

jfh
October 31, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hmmm...looks like I should reduce that offer to $75.00, Walkalong. Clearly, it's the gun's fault.

On a more serious note--I really empathize; it only gets worse for the aging-eyes syndrome.

Jim H.

Walkalong
October 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thank goodness for red dot sights on handguns. Ugly, and darn near sacrilege to mount on some guns, but it gives us old blind guys a chance to shoot like we could when we could see sights.

Colt 1911 & red dot pic (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75000&d=1206138026)

No excuses with this baby. :)

jfh
October 31, 2009, 08:36 PM
About those red dots--by now, I see at least three of them, no matter which part of the (progressive) lens I look through. I guess it's part of the "pre-cataract" / early cataract issues.

added on edit: That's a beautiful 1911. I don't care what combat experts and gunsmiths say, extended slide releases put a beautiful curve into the image of that part of a 1911. (I have Wilson extended products on mine.)

Jim H.

Walkalong
October 31, 2009, 08:46 PM
I actually don't care for the slide release. It came on the gun. The gun is a beauty though. It shoots as good as it looks. The eye doc says I still have 20/20 far off. It's just up close I can't see. Of course, even far off I can't see anything like I could when I was young. :(

It's not all bad. I could not afford many of the toys I have now back then, so it kind of evens out, sort of, kind of. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "A tale of two bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!