Digital Scale-Fix or Replace?

PDA

OrangePwrx9
October 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
Good Morning,
My older battery-only BBK digital scale took a hit when I dropped something and now it won't calibrate. Looks like it needs a new load cell. Haven't reached PACT by phone yet, but I imagine the repair bill will run $40 or so, plus the hassle of sending it back and forth.

Wondering if it might make more sense to replace it with one of the newer low cost scales. Can anyone recommend a low cost unit that they've used for several months and have had good luck with? I see there are a number out now that cost about half what I paid for the old BBK.
Thanks.
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Digital Scale-Fix or Replace?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bruno2
October 31, 2009, 11:19 AM
I bought the Hornady and I dropped it . I had it for 4 yrs. I sent it back to them and they replaced it for free . The Hornady also has a 110 volt adapter so when the batteries run down it can still be used w/o making a trip to the store .

rfwobbly
October 31, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'd think they're generally not worth repairing. And consider that in the intervening years the technology has advanced. You're not going to find much lower LIST prices, but you probably will find added features.

They may, like the post above, send you a new one. So the only money I would spend would be on a phone call. Much better to scour the on-line ads looking for sales right now.

ranger335v
October 31, 2009, 11:44 AM
Alternate opinion; I don't like the things but IF I had one with a proven reliability and wanted to keep uisng a digital and KNEW I had damaged it, instead of it crashing, think I'd try to get it repaired. With a "new" one, especially an inexpensive new one, you have no idea what you're getting. So, getting a reliable one fixed would be more comforting to me than buying a new one at or anywhere near the price of a repair job.

If you enjoyed reading about "Digital Scale-Fix or Replace?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!