Joke is on Me?

PDA

loosehorse
November 1, 2009, 12:50 AM
I love my Swede. Its not that new to me (m96/38 CG 1912) but I have been using commercial ammo, mostly Federal and Privi since I got it. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to load my own for my favorite rifle.
Got the press, got the dies, I have the brass, got some manuals. BUT, I have been looking online all evening for primers. It seems none of my usual internet spots has any. Googled "primers" and got some hits but those folks don't have any either.
I guess I am getting in on reloading late.
Do You fellas have this stuff stock piled or something? I have been lurking around here for awhile but have not picked up on a shortage being talked about. But primers are obviously in short supply.
Do I send back my press etc.?
Am I missing something or is the JOKE ON ME?
Thanks for reading my dribble....
:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Joke is on Me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madd0c
November 1, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ask on the boards here for local shops in your location that may have some.

The major online sources are backordered for most all of the primers and don't expect any for about 2 months.

If you are REALLY wanting to get some and there are none in your local area, you can try gunbroker.com

If you do go the gunbroker route be prepared to pay high prices, but you can get some that way.

I was in the same boat until cabelas finally shipped some primers I had ordered about 2 months ago.

Sport45
November 1, 2009, 01:02 AM
Wideners and Powder Valley currently have a supply of Wolf primers.

Buy some powder too and go in with a friend to get the most hazmat you can on one order to lessen the impact of the hazmat charge.

Roccobro
November 1, 2009, 01:06 AM
Last I read Midway had Federal, and Powder valley has Wolfs LR primers at the time of this post.

Justin

BHP FAN
November 1, 2009, 01:10 AM
I just bought some at CVS [the store formerly known as Longs Drugs] a coupla blocks down the street from my house...

Roccobro
November 1, 2009, 01:12 AM
I want to live where you live BPH FAN!

Justin

loosehorse
November 1, 2009, 01:14 AM
Midway is out as far as I can tell.
What about Wolf primers? I have used their 6.5x55
and 7.62x39 ammo and was not impressed. It went bang but is pretty dirty. Are their primers ok? Are all primers the same?
Thanks again for all the info, I appreciate it.

Roccobro
November 1, 2009, 01:18 AM
Everything I've read here on wolf has been positive. Except a recent batch of SR that had a harder-than-normal cup. My experience with them is still too little to matter. All went bang.

If you can only get one brand, I'd say go with it for now. Haz mat charges suck, but your only other option is to wait for the local supply to catch up.

Justin

The Wiry Irishman
November 1, 2009, 01:21 AM
I've had fantastic luck with Wolf primers so far (large pistol) Loaded 4000, shot 3500. No issues.

EDIT: Google "david tubb wolf primers." It seems he uses them exclusively.

loadedround
November 1, 2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe one of our members living near "Loosehorse" would gladly give him a gift of a pk/100 primers to get him started reloading. If he lived within 50 miles of me I would gladly do so as a friendly gesture. How many more days to Christmas guys? ;)

Noveldoc
November 1, 2009, 09:39 AM
Wolfs are a tad oversized and a bit harder to seat. Other than that I have had no problem with them.

Tom

Uncle Chan
November 1, 2009, 11:16 AM
For SR, wolf is all I use now. I use SRM for my 223. Never had a FTF. I like'em. Will buy more when needed or funds become available.

rfwobbly
November 1, 2009, 01:45 PM
LooseHorse -
If you buy primers or powder over the internet, you're going to need to pay an extra ~$25 for shipping hazardous materials (HazMat). So you don't want to "order" low volume powder or primers by yourself. It's simply too expensive.

You need to scout out your local gun shows, gun clubs, gun shops, shooting ranges, etc for fellow reloaders. Leave your cell phone number posted in those places. Ask here on this forum. This is not only helpful for gaining access to primers and powder, but also for gaining access to knowledge. There is so much to know about reloading that you really need someone looking over your shoulder the first couple of times. And having someone local means you can pick up the phone and get instant advice, borrow specialty tools, get advice on alternative powders, be the first to learn of used equipment for sale, etc, etc.

Whatever you do, don't send your press back. What you are seeing is a temporary spike in demand for reloading supplies caused by the temporary unavailability of factory ammo. This kind of stuff is cyclic and is bound to pass. I believe that the worst part is over, some primers are showing up again, and you should be able to get what you need locally within 10 days... once you know where to look.

Hope this helps!

loosehorse
November 1, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the information. It has proved valuable to me already. I did find some wolf primers but didnt order them yet based on some of the info passed on. Going to hit the next local gun show to see what is available.
Also I will get over to my local range where they have all sorts of messages posted and see if I cant find someone to "look over my shoulder" the first couple of times.
I am psyched and patience has not been one of my strong points I guess. You would think with my advanced years I would have some!
Loadedround, that was an especially nice thought. Thanks for that! Christmas came a little early for me already in the form of all this reloading gear.
I look forward to taking a more active part in this forum when I get my act together.
Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Joke is on Me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!