Lapua or Norma?

PDA

Marty B
November 1, 2009, 02:35 PM
As always I am trying to squeeze that last little bit of accuracy out of a couple of my rifles. I'm getting a spread of about 55 f.p.s. on my reloads and I'm thinking I could do a little better with more consistent brass. I've been looking at Lapua and Norma. Norma seems to cost a pretty good bit more than Lapua and my question is, is it that much better than Lapua? If it is I dont mind paying more for it, but I always thought Lapua was about as good as it gets.
Now about checking case capacity. I've always heard that you fill a case with water and check it that way. How do you measure the water that you fill the case with? How about the primer hole? Do you just leave the primer in? Should this be done before or after resizing?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Marty

If you enjoyed reading about "Lapua or Norma?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoney
November 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
I would go with Lapua. Not because it is better, but because I hold long grudges.

Norma supplied the ammo to the NVA.

rundm
November 1, 2009, 08:02 PM
the lapua is better anyways and it costs less.

Walkalong
November 1, 2009, 08:17 PM
Lapua......

lgbloader
November 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
Lapua here too. I use Norma as well but I prefer Lapua.

LGB

Horsemany
November 1, 2009, 09:15 PM
Lapua's a little better and usually cheaper. Norma's no slouch though.

Walkalong
November 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
Norma's no slouch though.That is true. Norma makes good brass.

Marty B
November 1, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks to all for your help!
Sounds like it's going to be Lapua for me.

Marty

rodregier
November 2, 2009, 07:46 PM
I weighed 100+ pieces of Norma and Lapua brass in .308 Win. Both were much better than other commercial, but there was much less weight variance in the Lapua.

My vote would be for Lapua.

ArchAngelCD
November 4, 2009, 05:50 AM
Marty B,
Sorry if you already know this but it's not only brass that will bring down your SD numbers. Much of the time you can do so with the proper powder. If you find a powder that will almost fill the case you will get more consistent ignition and burning thus much closer velocities between rounds. If the powder and charge you are using don't fill the cast to at lease 95% you might want to find a powder/charge combination that does. The closer to 100% the better. (of course there are always exceptions to the rule so I guess I should have added "most of the times" to what I said above)

If you enjoyed reading about "Lapua or Norma?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!