How do you handle your Chrono data?

PDA

mmorris
November 3, 2009, 07:10 PM
As long as we’re talking about chronos, I thought I would see how you guys without printer-capable chronos are dealing with the data they generate.

I have made several computer files that range in complexity from a spreadsheet that can take in all 99 shot values in each string (manual entry) and calculate the summary values, to a very simple pdf with text fields to act as a dumb form (no calculations) to hold the data summary I enter manually from the screen.

I just made the pdf fill-in-the-blanks form today, and I think I like it the best because it is the easiest to use. I can either print a blank form to use at the range (backyard), or take the ProChrony into the house and type directly into the form, print it, and punch it for a three-ring binder. The way my penmanship is, I usually opt to type in anything I can.

Here are samples of the pdf both blank and filled in.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you handle your Chrono data?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
~z
November 3, 2009, 07:21 PM
I typically keep targets in a 3 ring binder (by rifle) and on my targets I have a box that I tape or staple my print out data to the target. Other spaces on the target cover the typical, bullet, powder, case, trim length, seat depth, range, wind and other atmospheric conditions (humidity, baro...). That way I have everything there together with a nice little piece of paper with holes in it (ideally). If I need to reference the data everything with proof.
~z

November 3, 2009, 09:05 PM
I have a similar method to you both in that I use a spreadsheet for chrono data and sort/store my targets in a logical order with lots of load data on them. However, I have one additional step of photographing every target and running it through OnTarget. I find it a lot easier to scroll through images of targets (logically named) rather than sort my way through a large pile of targets. Many of my targets are 300 and 600 yard F-Class targets so images on the PC are a lot easier to handle.

Looking at shooting data makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

:)

~z
November 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
Damnit 1858 i keep bumping into you in about every thread. Whenever life finds you in TX I'll but you a beer
~z

eddism
November 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
I watched a fella using his laptop to do everything. He recorded the values caught by the chronograph onto Notebook. From there he uploaded the data to Excel where he produced graphs and charts. That day he was testing 50 cal. FBBT (full-brass boat-tail) ammo he hand-lathed bullets and hand-loaded casings. This ammo shot 4200fps +/- .001. He also showed me pages of data on this particular rifle using varying loads. Laughing, he told me some folks like going to bars to spend-away their time. "This is what I do". I could only knod in agreement and smile :cool:

November 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
Damnit 1858 i keep bumping into you in about every thread. Whenever life finds you in TX I'll but you a beer

Thanks ~z ... I guess we have similar interests ... and that goes for beer too. :D Let me know if you're ever over this way.

:)

Kernel
November 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
How do you handle your Chrono data?
I store all the shot strings in the Chrony's memory. When I get home I cut-n-paste it into an Excel spreadsheet. From there I can graph, statistically analyze, and crunch the numbers six ways till Tuesday.

Nice forms. The way I do it I don't have need for anything handwritten. Other than the brief notes I make at the range regarding which string is what.

You might want to add a space to record: temperature, wind speed & direction, distance to screens, COAL, primer type, bullet type, case type, powder type & charge, crimp type, group size, what ever else you think is important. That’s the stuff that nice to know when you look back on your data days, and years, later.

Good idea about taking photos of the targets. I'm not that sophisticated, yet, but I can see how it would be convenient. Currently, I just photocopy mine, then three-hole punching them. That way I don't have to worry about damaging all the "one ragged hole" groups, as I thumb through my notebooks. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you handle your Chrono data?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!