9mm preferences: blazer brass vs. WWB?

PDA

sidheshooter
November 3, 2009, 11:16 PM
Practice ammo is finally starting to be readily available where I live again. I can get either the 100 round WWB fmj or 50 round blazer brass fmj; either way it comes out to almost exactly the same dough per 100 rounds.

I don't know that it matters all that much, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone knows something I don't about these two brands quality-wise.

Gun is a 3rd gen S&W 6906, FWIW.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm preferences: blazer brass vs. WWB?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aliasneo07
November 3, 2009, 11:19 PM
Blazer brass. In my experience, its much cleaner than WWB. Don't know about accuracy really, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell. Blazer is definitely cleaner though.

wrs840
November 3, 2009, 11:22 PM
uhh... WWB cartridges are shinier and in a slightly smaller box.

FWIW, The 6906 is a great pistol, so long you've fired it enough to prove to your satisfaction that yours is reliable.

Les

9mmepiphany
November 4, 2009, 12:20 AM
BLazer brass, or even the aluminum, is much cleaner shooting than the WWB

1SOW
November 4, 2009, 12:30 AM
If you save brass for your or someone elses reloading, buy Winchester.

Otherwise, shoot what works for you, as I'm sure you will do anyway.

Publius1688
November 4, 2009, 12:38 AM
Blazer Brass is great in 9mm. I think it's the way to go for practice ammo.

jonnyc
November 4, 2009, 06:02 AM
Either is fine, go with whichever is a bit cheaper at the time.

LancerMW
November 4, 2009, 07:34 AM
blazer seems to be a slightly lighter load

edSky
November 4, 2009, 09:40 AM
Take a look at all CCI/BLAZER/SPEER brass you pick up at a range and compare it to all other brands in 9mm. It is so easy to sort because the cases are virtually spotless.

I reload my own with their parent company's components but don't buy new. I love Winchester USA (WWB) but the ATK family of products are squeaky clean.

HexHead
November 4, 2009, 09:44 AM
Between those two, Blazer Brass. But I prefer Remington-UMC.

Oldnoob
November 4, 2009, 11:34 AM
Just by shooting, I haven't notice any difference between the two. At my local wal mart BB is cheaper than WWB (since last year) so my wallet prefer BB.

KBintheSLC
November 4, 2009, 12:22 PM
Both work well in my guns... I would just buy whatever brand is cheaper at the time.

sidheshooter
November 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the input, folks.

I think I'll just stock up on a bunch of the blazer brass over the next couple of months. "Buy a box to keep, shoot a box each week" seems to be ranking up there with "an apple a day" for good health advice these days...

cleetus03
November 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
delete

Kangspec
November 4, 2009, 09:41 PM
how about Blazer Brass VS UMC?

UMC value pack is pretty cheap too.

InkEd
November 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
Blazer brass hands down. THE BEST PRACTICE AMMO.

powwowell
November 4, 2009, 10:01 PM
WWB. The best practice round for the money. It usually has a few more FPS than Remington or Federal/Blazer practice rounds.

I have never shot "clean" ammo. Buy WWB and clean your pistol when it needs it.

sidheshooter
November 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
Somewhat OT, but I did not include the Rem UMC in my OP for two reasons: one, it hasn't hit the shelves in my area in any noticeable quantity yet (enough said) but, two, Mas Ayoob told my LFI class that remington brass was more problematic in 3rd-gen smith's like the one I'm buying for.

Some trivia, for those that like such info.

mec
November 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
Independence *(atk) generic ball is loaded in Blazer brass and is quite accurate. The WW ball is also very good. I have the impression that WW brass is more consistent as to length but have put up accurate reloads using both types of brass.

Girodin
November 5, 2009, 01:58 AM
Blazer brass is cheaper at the Walmart nearest me so I get that. I have shot a lot of WWB and never had an issue in any of several pistols I have run it through.

RON in PA
November 5, 2009, 04:09 AM
Don't give a damn if ammo shoots clean or dirty. That's why you clean guns. WW White Box has more umph than Blazer in my experience and ejects farther from my M&P9.

Philo_Beddoe
November 5, 2009, 10:27 AM
Buy a box of each and shoot a few groups.

There is your answer.

bg226
November 5, 2009, 10:34 AM
WWB feels hotter. I've always preferred WWB.

EOC_Jason
November 5, 2009, 10:40 AM
The Winchester 100RD Value Packs are usually a couple bucks cheaper at the local Walmart than if you bought two boxes of Blazer... I usually just buy what is available since 9mm is still somewhat spotty supply (at walmart)...

I do reload too so I'm not sweating it... Trying to find a decent lead 9mm bullet... any suggestions?

doc540
November 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
which one?

easy

whichever one's in stock somewhere;)

mp510
November 5, 2009, 03:39 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I had a round of Blazer Brass fail to lock the slide back on my 6906 after the last shot. There was several rounds that felt a little off (under) powered, but not quite squib load low. The ammo also seemed surprisingly dirty.

NWCP
November 5, 2009, 04:09 PM
Whichever of the two I can find at the time. I prefer Blazer Brass when it can be had.

SheepNutz
November 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've never seen Blazer at any Walmart in my area. The main thing we get is WWB, but I have seen some of the Remington as well.

kmbrman
November 5, 2009, 10:41 PM
Blazer Brass seems sometimes to be underpowered and won't lock the slide back on the 9mm M&P . WWBox will do so .

gallo
November 5, 2009, 11:49 PM
The slide of my XD would not stay open after the last cartridge with Blazer. Nevr had an issue with WWB.

m2steven
November 6, 2009, 10:06 AM
Obviously the XD's have a serious problem and need to be returned to the factory :D

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm preferences: blazer brass vs. WWB?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!