My new CMP Garand :D

PDA

tmbg
November 4, 2009, 12:27 AM
It's one of the "service grade special" rifles, pretty sure it's all original and unfired, dated 4/55, but it has a new CMP stock on it.

Picture's not spectacular... I'll get some better ones soon!

If you enjoyed reading about "My new CMP Garand :D" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gondorian
November 4, 2009, 12:28 AM
Congrats! Those are nice, but they are even nicer once you finish the stock. :)

soloban
November 4, 2009, 12:40 AM
Does the cat help with cosmoline removal?

tmbg
November 4, 2009, 12:41 AM
softest rag imaginable

Sport45
November 4, 2009, 04:37 AM
pretty sure it's all original and unfired

That's doubtful, but you'll like it anyway!

Sheldon
November 4, 2009, 07:43 AM
The "Specials" are rebuilt by the CMP, reparked, and include a new aftermarket stock and barrel.

Tim the student
November 4, 2009, 09:34 AM
The "Specials" are rebuilt by the CMP, reparked, and include a new aftermarket stock and barrel.

Yes, but I think he is talking about the service specials, which (IIRC) are essentially the nicest service grades you will ever find - I think with new wood. The CMP did a short run of these, and they were only available in store, not for mail order.

Great looking rifle tmbg. Shooting it today?

Speedo66
November 4, 2009, 10:31 AM
Nice gun and nice cat.

Looks like a Balinese (long haired) version of a Siamese(the cat, not the gun).

1KPerDay
November 4, 2009, 01:43 PM

Generally, yes, but they did a run of HRA specials that were made with new old stock, unissued HRA barreled actions, put into new wood. for about $750. I kick myself every day for not ordering one when I had the chance.

tmbg
November 4, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, it's the "service special", and I believe the barrel numbers match the receiver, although I'm a bit too much of a noob to know for sure.

What they told me at the CMP store was that it's essentially a collector grade, only without the original stock.

Not shooting today, I'm working my tail off at the moment. I hope to get out saturday morning and shoot it though! I also bought four cans of their surplus ammo for it :D

Col. Plink
November 4, 2009, 07:37 PM
Did you buy ammo in-store?

61chalk
November 5, 2009, 04:11 PM
Your new Garand is the cats meow.

If you enjoyed reading about "My new CMP Garand :D" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!