Researching AR-15 purchase...

PDA

twoclones
November 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
There's a black rifle in my immediate future. I suppose Cease Fire Washington exploiting a dead cop to push their assult weapon ban agenda has me stirred up. BTW the cop was NOT killed with an assult weapon. But the more I research them, the more there is to learn :( Now I'm seeking advice.

I was thinking of the Colt Accurized but reading posts about the weight of a bull barrel changed my mind since I'm not planning on becoming a bench shooter... I like Colt but I'm a huge Smith & Wesson fan. So, if I boil it down to either Colt or Smith & Wesson, is it just a coin toss? What options would you avoid?

If you enjoyed reading about "Researching AR-15 purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darthbauer
November 4, 2009, 11:51 AM
If your going Colt or S&W then I would go with a Colt 6920.

Look into LMT before you buy though.

meytind
November 4, 2009, 12:05 PM
Can you be more specific as to the purpose of the rifle? Do you want it for hunting, paper punching, home defense? Do you want as close to a mil-spec M4 as you can get or are you after a varmint rifle for coyote hunting with the guys?

Water-Man
November 4, 2009, 12:32 PM
You can't go wrong with a Colt. The 6920 is an excellent choice.

cyclopsshooter
November 4, 2009, 12:35 PM
you will not be dissapointed with the smith

RP88
November 4, 2009, 02:12 PM
for the money, an S&W is a great gun.

Price not withstanding, a Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co. mfg., or LMT would be a gold-standard gun starting around $1200 for the basic setup.

If you do enough research, I would suggest building one in order to save money for other things, an optic and sights, ammo and range time, etc.

twoclones
November 4, 2009, 02:13 PM
Can you be more specific as to the purpose of the rifle?

Primarily for punching paper with a little coyote hunting on the side.

ChristopherG
November 4, 2009, 02:33 PM
BTW the cop was NOT killed with an assult weapon.

I haven't heard the information that lets us know this; the reports I've read indicate it was a semiautomatic centerfire rifle of some kind. Have I misunderstood or is there more to know, and if so, what?

twoclones
November 4, 2009, 02:39 PM
I based that on the comment by Washington CeaseFire President Ralph Fascitelli, “Maybe this particular [police victim] wasn’t killed with an assault weapon, but the next one maybe will be.”

From this article.
http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d3-Predictably-gun-banners-plan-to-exploit-murder-of-Seattle-police-officer

Z-Michigan
November 4, 2009, 03:01 PM
Primarily for punching paper with a little coyote hunting on the side.

Are you also planning to use a scope? What distances are you planning to shoot? Washington of course has dense forests, mountains, plains, and desert - I don't know which area(s) you plan to hunt in.

I would be thinking about a 20" barrel with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist allowing you to use heavy bullets such as the 77gr SMK. You will have to decide how you want to balance the accuracy benefits of a heavier barrel vs. the extra weight. Also whether you want a free-floating arrangement, and if so, just a plain tube (handguards) or a quadrail system. If you're going to use a scope you'll presumably want a flattop. Answer all these questions before drilling down to specific brands or models.

16" carbines with wobbly telestocks are probably not the best choice for your stated uses. I would highly recommend either a conventional fixed stock (A2 type) or, if you want a telescoping stock, something high end that locks really solid, like a Magpul UBR or PBR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Researching AR-15 purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!