Red dot sight for Mosin Nagant 91/30

PDA

Bullwinkle
November 4, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in the "Firearms Accessories" forum instead.
Has anyone ever used a red dot sight on a 91/30? Yes it's probably blasphemous to mount such a thing on a gun that's almost 100 years old!

I've searched the forums and other sites and got plenty of info on scout mounts and optical LER scopes but almost nothing on an RDS/MN combo.

Barska makes one that has 2X magnification (http://www.barska.com/ac11090.html) , but I wonder if it could stand up to the 7.62 recoil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Red dot sight for Mosin Nagant 91/30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
November 4, 2009, 07:09 PM
If I was committing such an act of blasphemy, I'd mount the red dot on a base replacing the rear dot. Simplest way, no permanent mods, and will work.

Now, for the choice of red dot...not a Barska, BSA, or similar utter crap. Look for something like one of the inexpensive Bushnell, Milletts, or Truglo. I'd also avoid any "magnified" models, as they seem to suffer distortion issues, and reduced FOV IIRC. Stick with the standard no magnification dot.

Mossberg88
November 4, 2009, 09:02 PM
not to rain on your parade, but can i ask why you'd want to? the 91/30 isnt exactly a tactical weapon nor is it a short/medium range weapon that you'd more commonly see red dot on.

Snake
November 5, 2009, 01:47 AM
I got a bent bolt and OSPREY 10x40x50 on mine! these were meant to 500 yard sniper rifles of the last earlier century. I made mine to kick arse out to that distance. A reddot on that isn't what you'd probobly like considering it isn't a close quarters weapon. Thats almost like putting on a EOtech on a Remington 700 in :scrutiny:30.06

CMP
November 5, 2009, 01:50 AM
I wanted to do something like this until my brother laughed at me.

chevyforlife21
November 5, 2009, 01:57 AM
wow really?:rolleyes:

Avenger29
November 5, 2009, 01:59 AM
Thats almost like putting on a EOtech on a Remington 700 in 30.06

I've seen that done. It works surprisingly well. I've put an older model Aimpoint on a Marlin 336 in a scout mount. Worked just fine, quick engagement of targets. Just because it isn't a semi-auto or hi capacity doesn't mean it can't be used in a closer range role.

Mr. Bojangles
November 5, 2009, 08:59 AM
A red dot sight on a "red" rifle. Makes sense to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Red dot sight for Mosin Nagant 91/30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!