.243 full length sizing problem

PDA

H1500308
November 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm using a full length Lee sizing die on once-fired Winchester brass. After full length sizing, I'll seat the bullet to the recommended OAL which happens to leave just a bit of the cannelure exposed just as it should be with Hornady SST and Interlock 100g bullets.

The problem is, I seem to have plenty of neck tension when seating the bullet. However, when I push firmly on the bullet with my hands, it gets loose and I can move it back and forth a 1/16 inch or so. Looks like if I seated the bullet with the entire cannelure exposed this wouldn't happen. I've tried adjusting the die several times to no avail. This did not occur with federal brass I've used earlier.

What gives??? I was thinking about getting an RCBS die to see if that worked any better.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 full length sizing problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jbkebert
November 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
You didn't by chance get a little carried away when you chamfered the case neck did you? I found that using a RCBS VLD chamfer tool for me works better than the Hornady ones. Alot less angle and they seem to be less agressive. Other than that if you are setting your seating die up according to instructions I can't think of another reason maybe someone with more reloading time can offer something else.

H1500308
November 4, 2009, 09:27 PM
No.I'm very conservative when it comes to chamfering.

jbkebert
November 4, 2009, 09:33 PM
After resizing and case prep. Does the bullet just barely start in case with moderate pressure or does it fit kinda sloppy? I am sitting here with a SST bullet in my hand and can't figure out why it would not fully crimp.

H1500308
November 4, 2009, 09:39 PM
Just barely starts in the case. Seems to have plenty of neck tension. The SSTs I have are not boat tails so it's sometimes difficult to get the bullet started before placing it in the seating die.

jbkebert
November 4, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well anyone else want to take a stab at it. I am out of ideas sorry I could not be of more help.

Beelzy
November 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
Try different brass, that will tell you if it's a die problem or the cases.

twice barrel
November 5, 2009, 01:46 PM
Unless the brass has been resized and trimmed (& turned) so very many times its very thin but for some reason hasn't split or cracked; I suspect he needs to start over and re-adjust his sizing die.

If it were only 1 case I might suspect soft brass but sizing another brand of case would ferret this out.

Try some more of that Federal brass he had good luck with!

TB

ranger335v
November 5, 2009, 01:52 PM
Such a loose fitting bullet can only happer with one (or both) of two circumstances:

The expander button is too large.

The bullets are too small.

rcmodel
November 5, 2009, 02:22 PM
Or the sizing die body is too large.
Or too worn out.
Or you use mandrel dies and the mandrel is to big.
Or the case necks are too thin.
Or??

rc

243winxb
November 5, 2009, 02:26 PM
Lee seating dies taper than crimp, if your loaded rounds neck diameter measures close to the maximum of .276" the taper part of the seating die might be pinching the case closed some after the bullet is seated. << wild guess? What ranger said is more likely. Your expander should measure about .2415" or smaller. Or maybe the FLRS die is not making the case small enough on sizing. And what RC said also.

243winxb
November 5, 2009, 02:31 PM
Lee help here > http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 full length sizing problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!