Safe Travelling

PDA

Ryder
November 6, 2003, 06:55 AM
Since we were discussing the current drug war laws, search/seizure, and highway stops in that other thread I have a related question but it doesn't have anything to do with drugs so I started a new thread.

I've read that the long-haul truckers have had their operating cash "confiscated" during such highway stops. They take the vehicles too? Anybody know if cops are still doing this? What's the limit deemed to be illegal? Do they get arrested or are they just furnished with a receipt and left on the side of the road?

Reason I ask is that when I go on my month long motorcycle tour each Summer I carry 2-3 thousand dollars with me for gas, motels, and food.

Also I'd like to know if anyone knows whether hotel operators are still collecting rewards for reporting customers who use $100 bills to pay for rooms. I'd rather not carry hundreds of twentys. A smaller wad of hundreds is much easier to safeguard. So what's more suspicious to all you profilers out there? 20's or 100's? I am trully mystified by all this.

And don't bother suggesting credit cards. There's a big problem with using one 10 times a day in a half dozen different states. Even people who call ahead to warn the company that they will be travelling get the rug pulled out from under them and are left unexpexctedly stranded.

Thanks for any info

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Travelling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NewShooter78
November 6, 2003, 08:42 AM
Have you thought about travelers cheques? I don't think they would draw attention like a stack of $100s. And why do hotels offer rewards for reporting people using $100 bills. $20 bills are the most counterfieted bills anyway.

I work in retail, and am used to seeing $100s all the time. I don't think about where people get there money, because that's not my job. As long as the bills are legit, then I'm not worrying abou it.

Ryder
November 6, 2003, 10:14 AM
I have tried travelers checks. American Express to be specific. They are worthless in a small town unless maybe you want to go searching for a bank. Nobody has ever seen one, they don't know what to do with them, and clerks will refuse to accept them.

According to the information I have read the reason the feds are (were?) offering rewards to motel operators for this information is because $100 bills are the favored currency of drug traffickers.

It's a free country and I'll continue to use cash regardless. It is my preferred method. I'd just like to assess the current risk factor.

TallPine
November 6, 2003, 11:53 AM
I hope you don't carry all of that in one place .....

Yanus
November 6, 2003, 12:15 PM
I'd carry half cash and half checks........... That has always worked for me.

Yanus

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Travelling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!