LNL AP issue

PDA

double d
November 5, 2009, 09:44 AM
Just found out the hard way that the rod that connects the upper and lower powder assemblies can wiggle loose. It is attached with a thumb screw that over time loosens. When the rod is no longer attached, powder does not
drop. Probably not too big a deal if you are using and watching the powder cop, but if you are using separate seating and crimping dies, the powder cop
sits in the drawer. Word of advice--tighten the thumb screw periodically.

If you enjoyed reading about "LNL AP issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
UltimateReloader
November 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
double d- You can use the following setup with the LNL AP and still have separate seat/crimp *and* powder cop:

1. Size/deprime
2. Powder charge and PTX expander
3. Powder cop
4. Seat
5. Crimp

I've never had that issue, but it's always a good idea to stop periodically and check everything :)

David Wile
November 6, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Double D,

I purchased my L&L AP in 1997, and they must have changed the case activated powder dispenser mechanism sometime between then and now. I know they have changed a few other things like the base plate and the primer feeder. My press is still 100% stock as it was issued, and it works perfectly.

On my press, the rod I think you are talking about does not have any thumb screw. My rod swivels at the top and has two cuts in the bottom to slide into a pin holder on the bottom drop assembly. The two cuts are used to make adjustments for different sized shells.

I don't know why they changed the parts. My connecting rod has never come out of the pin unless I was making a change. As a matter of fact, I have never had a need for a powder cop die. My powder dispenser either drops powder if a case raises it, or it does not drop powder. As I operate the machine, I can clearly see the powder dispenser cycle as I operate the press handle. To me, it is no different than watching a powder cop die, so why bother with the die? The case activation mechanism is its own visible powder cop to me.

Then again, I never use different seating and crimping dies. I seat and crimp (when crimping is required) with the same die. I have always done that with single stage presses, and I adjust the seat/crimp die on my progressive the same way. I have more stations on my L&L AP than I actually need so far.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

showmebob
November 6, 2009, 02:46 PM
Quote [As a matter of fact, I have never had a need for a powder cop die. My powder dispenser either drops powder if a case raises it, or it does not drop powder. As I operate the machine, I can clearly see the powder dispenser cycle as I operate the press handle. To me, it is no different than watching a powder cop die, so why bother with the die? The case activation mechanism is its own visible powder cop to me.]

Dave I also have the LNL setup and will not load without a powder checker die of some sort. Sometimes even though the powder measure has full travel the powder can get hung up inside resulting in a very light charge. It depends upon the powder you are using.
With my powder dies I can see as little as .2 grains difference (usually .1) I trust the dies more than my eyes looking into each case.
I found for the pistol calibers I load that seperate seating and crimping work well for me so I always use all press stations. I use Lee 4 die sets.

David Wile
November 6, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Showmebob,

When I have my case activated powder dispenser properly set up and adjusted for a particular charge of either flake or ball powder, it will throw regular charges less than .2 of a grain. Powder does not get "hung up" inside my powder dispenser unless I were to put the drop bushing in upside down. It is extremely accurate with the ball and flake powders I use, and I do not use any extruded powder in any progressive press application.

The two powder cop dies I have seen were simply not capable of discriminating charge differences down to .2 of a grain. That is why I maintain my case activated mechanism is all the powder cop one needs.

I have always been able to adjust my pistol seating/crimping die to seat the bullet and crimp the case mouth in one operation rather than two. I never bought any Lee die sets. I was always satisfied with Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady dies, and the whole Lee thing with their Factory Crimp Die always seemed like a solution looking for a problem. In fact, I can even seat and crimp bullets in one operation using a Lyman 310 Nutcracker tool. It's all in the proper adjustment of the dies for belling the mouth and seating/crimping.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

showmebob
November 10, 2009, 02:25 AM
Dave
I'm happy your system works for you, keep using it!

I have 2 powder cop dies, 1 RCBS and 1 homemade. Both are accurate if I do my part.
I seat 357's with RCBS dies and seat and crimp in one step. I prefer to seat and crimp in 2 steps even though I don't have to. I just feel it's better.
The Lee Factory Crimp Die worked very well for me on one occasion that I know of. If I'd been shooting competition it would have saved the day for me. I think its there as a final check and if everything goes properly in the reloading process it will not have to resize, just crimp if desired. Like I said, it worked for me at least one time. Not sure I would buy another one or not.
If you get to colorado, stop by and I'll show you how my powder cop dies work.
Till then..........
Bob

David Wile
November 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hey Bob,

That is most kind of you to invite me to stop and visit with you. While I have no plans for going west at this time, I will keep your invitation in mind. It would be very nice to see a fellow reloader along one's travels.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

If you enjoyed reading about "LNL AP issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!