Mosin-Nagant

PDA

joshuarwright
November 6, 2009, 12:41 AM
What kind of Nagants do you all have or recomend?

I have always heard that when it comes to accuracy the Finnish M39 can't be beat. Is this true? And where in the world can I find one??

Also, I plan to either "scout", or in the least, modernize whatever kind I pick so if you know of any good brands of syn. stock or scope mounts I could use the help. thanks!

Joshua

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin-Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saturno_v
November 6, 2009, 01:14 AM
M-39 are usually the best but the most expensive.

The original 91/30 snipers are extremely accurate

For your run of the mill Mosin (read sub $100), I would stick with the long 91/30 over the M44

The short carbines (M38 and M44) are usually the least accurate, especially the M44...in the latter you need to extend the bayonet otherwise your shots will be way off...

Personally I own 3 91/30

ronbuick
November 6, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have a couple of M44's and I really like these rifles, there is just something about them
that I find addicting, he is correct about the bayonet being out for best accuracy, but the one I did sporterize it and the other I will use just the open sights, ammo is very cheap and need to clean after each usage, easy to take apart and fiddle with, the internet is your friend and use it to sift thru all the info out their and make you decision,
JGsales in Az. normally has then, just need to ship to a FFL, C&,R or have your gunshop get you one, pawn shops also. HTH a little.

Ron

Cosmoline
November 6, 2009, 02:41 AM
Also, I plan to either "scout", or in the least, modernize whatever kind I pick

The Mosin doesn't respond too well to being "modernized." A scout mount esp. one of Darrell's will work pretty well for an LER scope. To make it into a more standard contemporary hunting rifle is a fool's project that will only ruin the rifle. If you're dead set on bending bolts and cutting into receivers just get one of the wartime Soviet 91/30's.

If you want an actual MOSIN-NAGANT, not some lameo Bubba attempt at a Remchester, then you should be looking at the Finn M-39's, the late model Tikka M91's and the Finnish M30's. These are all going for reasonable prices now but there were never all that many made. Learn to shoot them as they were intended to be shot and you won't regret it. But like Yoda said you may have to "unlearn" some of what you've picked up. These are straight bolt, high firepower war rifles. You don't cycle them with your fingertips and you need to know how to use a military tangent sight system to operate one properly.

Clipper
November 6, 2009, 07:10 AM
If you're able to do your own smithing, they're lots of fun. I have shortened my 91/30 barrel to 22", welded on a M-700 bollt handle and have it in an ATI stock. Including the rifle's purchase, I have $140.00 in it. I have to install sights yet. I'll probably install a set of Williams guide sights, or I have been thinking of adding a block to the left rear receiver wing to mount a Williams FP peep sight.

Franco2shoot
November 6, 2009, 12:11 PM
Come on Cosmoline:
I purchased my first 91/30 a couple years ago, took some browsing, but found one for a "C" note with good rifling, then lots of elbow grease, and a $140.00 buck scope from Wally world.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=82719&d=1218126768

If I use shootin sticks, or a bench rest, its a 1 MOA rifle. It had the ATI mount, and bent bolt. Using Winchester Hunting 7.62.54r its easily the cheapest deer rifle plus the Ammo is so much cheaper I get to practice lots and lots for much cheaper than my .308 Model 7 Remington.

KKKKFL

Col. Plink
November 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
Do I understand right that the original 91/30's designated for sniper use have a "C" stamp somewhere on them? Where?

It would be great to look for one undiscovered somewhere if I know what to look for!

Thanks!

Cosmoline
November 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well I've seen MUCH worse Franco ;-) At least you've kept the overall military configuration. But I would encourage folks to at least learn to use a straight bolt before getting in there with the hacksaw. They can give you impressive rates of fire if you use them properly.

Re the "C" stamp the Tula arsenal did put a mark that looks like a "C" on their sniper-designated rifles. I don't believe the other arsenals ever did. There are a lot of ex-snipers on the market now that can be easily identified by the patch of wood where the PU scope mount used to be. Keep in mind though that USSR snipers are not the same as USA snipers. It would be more appropriate to translate it as designated marksman or something along those lines. There were a LOT of them and a lot of PU sniper rifles. The PU 91/30' and ex-PU's are on average more accurate than an average Soviet 91/30, but the "C" stamp is no guarantee of anything at this point. The bore could have been shot out and the standards weren't too strict to begin with. For Soviet Mosins I think your best bet for accuracy is to go with pre-war 91/30's with good bores.

stchman
November 6, 2009, 05:49 PM
For the money a Mosin Nagant is hard to beat.

I have 2 91/30s an M38 and an M44. They are all pretty darn accurate.

For the fun factor they are hard to beat.

Mosins are definitely one tough customer. They are 118 years and going strong.

joshuarwright
November 7, 2009, 03:30 AM
the more I look at the M39 the less I want to change it, however, sporterizing a 91/30 might not be so bad as I could pick up a new one at any mil. surp. store anywhere.

jg has M39s?

GRAYRID3R
November 7, 2009, 04:55 AM
I picked up a Finnish M24 for $100.00 from a desperate guy going through a divorce. (I still feel a little guilty.)Fired it at the range yesterday for the 1st time. It stayed right up there with my M1 Garand for accuracy.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin-Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!