Bought an L22

PDA

w_houle
November 6, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yep, I went and bought a Lorcin .22. Had a few problems with it not wanting to close, but had a recoil spring that fixed the problem. The only thing I find unnerving is the feed lips look wrong, but it feeds fine. It's neat because it's the first time I've seen a magazine like it: It's almost like a double stack. For some reason it has a terrible problem with lead fowling, and if I didn't know better, I would swear cleaning rods fit tighter down this barrel than the J-22. Magazine release takes a little getting used to. I think I'll keep a round count sheet on it. Thus far I've fired one box(50) of Federal through it with only a hand full of failures to go into battery due to the recoil spring being weak. Recoil spring was from a J-22, works fine although it makes it more difficult to insert the barrel in the slide upon assembly.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/429/lorcin22.jpg
With a Hogue Grip.
The previous story is a work of fiction: It's impossible for Lorcins to function.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought an L22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
makarovnik
November 6, 2009, 09:12 PM
nice. I see you remembered to include you toes.

Avenger29
November 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
Yep, I went and bought a Lorcin .22.

I must ask...WHY?

w_houle
November 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
Why? Because I was told it (making it run) couldn't be done. Besides, it gives me something to tinker with on the weekends. If I have to get mean and start throwing lead at someone, I have my Steyr M40A1

InkEd
November 6, 2009, 11:56 PM
I could have taught you how to make a zip gun from some old pipe. It will only shoot one round but it would be more reliable rounds than the Lorcin will give you.

How much more were the Hogues than the gun?

Just teasing.

MICHAEL T
November 7, 2009, 01:44 AM
I would prefer the zip gun

w_houle
November 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
I would prefer the zip gun
... at least you didn't compare it to a sharpened stick :p

zhyla
November 7, 2009, 02:39 PM
How bad is the reliability?

EmGeeGeorge
November 7, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have a J22 just like yours save for wood grips and horizontal safety that eats everything, is accurate, and reliable to a t-... I don't carry it cause I have better to but I have thrown it in the pocket while walking the dogs...

w_houle
November 7, 2009, 03:54 PM
How bad is the reliability?
Fired another 50 rounds through it and am having the beginnings of magazine issues. Those being that the rounds are not wanting to load because the nose of the bullets are hitting the top of the chamber and sometimes the follower hangs up when there's three rounds left in the magazine.
I don't know how to adjust the feed lips on the magazine to fix the problem, but it looks like someone has already tried as there is fresh tool marks on the inside of the magazine feed lips.

Edit: Played around with the magazine feed lips until the top round of a fully loaded magazine was actually pointed at the chamber. Then had to adjust the magazine lips again due to them dragging against the slide. After a number of fine tunings I finally managed to hand cycle rounds through. Went out and fired 10 rounds without a hiccup.
but only more rounds will tell if the magazine is going to present as a problem again.

shotgunjoel
November 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
three rounds left in the chamber. Wow, that's bad, it can have 3 rounds in the chamber, those things are crap!

w_houle
November 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I was trying to post and have an argument at the same time:mad:
It's fixed

w_houle
November 7, 2009, 08:04 PM
Couldn't wait to fire the other forty rounds out of that box, so went to my range and loaded it up 9+1.
Had four rounds hit high when feeding, and only happened at round eight in the magazine except for the last magazine that I pulled the magazine ad reinserted the magazine and the round that had hit high on the feed ramp had fed fine, but stovepiped. I also noticed that as the follower is being pushed down, there's a gritty feeling around the top and if done right can almost hang there. I don't know if it will smooth itself out or if I will have to do some sanding.

makarovnik
November 7, 2009, 08:24 PM
Tighten up the feed lips a bit and lube the follower. I have on occasion seen mags for those @ cheaperthandirt.com

w_houle
November 14, 2009, 08:04 PM
Three boxes of 50 Federal and 300 rounds from Remington (actually 299 but more on that in a sec)
Bought the 550 pack of Remington Golden Bullets and used the plastic container from CCI that holds 100. Thus far I've had problems with rounds not feeding due to the nose of the bullet nose hitting too low when the magazine is too full and hitting too high when near empty. (edit) only seems to be a problem when loaded with over 6 rounds in the magazine.(/edit)
I might have finally fixed that but only managed to succeed in the last two magazines. So far I've had a dozen or so that didn't go off on their first try, about four that didn't go off on the second and one that refused to go off at all. Most failures to eject were also failures to extract and all cases that failed to extract were cracked, those that extracted but not ejected had experienced a gas seal failure. The extractor fell off twice and managed to find it twice, but lost two springs. I'm not going to bother re installing it as it seems to be a hindrance rather than a help. Mental note: Do not slap the magazine in place, as the magazine feed lips will not thank you for it.
Accuracy has been good, but not a priority. I've concentrated on making this thing function, and also trying more of an instinctual 'point' shooting technique, and have been shooting at torso sized targets at ten yards.
If I had to depend on this for SD: I'd do so reluctantly, and would only load 6+1 until higher round counts in the magazine feed better.

MedWheeler
November 14, 2009, 09:30 PM
I have an older J-22, too.. the series with the horizontally-slid safety, nicked-plated with wood grips. Never had an issue with it feeding/ejecting anything, though learned that Stingers might be too much. Was shooting a bunch of them one day many years ago, and the gun field-stripped itself. I rounded up the parts, put it back together, and put it away. Many years later, I got up the nerve to run some more (lesser) rounds through it, and it did fine. It's not a carry piece at all, though, as I have others.

wally
November 14, 2009, 09:41 PM
While these ain't great guns, they are highly reliable single shot pistols with significantly non-zero probability of multiple shots.

They are cheap and can be fun to tinker with, when you are tired of them you can usually get more than your money back from some stupid anti's gun buy back.

--wally.

w_houle
November 14, 2009, 09:42 PM
and the gun field-stripped itself.

My J-22 has done that once and is just what happens when the takedown button binds as the slide is at it's rearmost position: The slide moves forward with that button stuck, and the leading edge hits the frame and allows the slide to jump up and field strip. It's the reason that Hi Point pinned the takedown button to the frame. Not hard to fix, you just have to want to make it work.
Edit:
Sunday, ran another 100 rounds through it and would've only had five or six malfunctions if it weren't due to this ammunition not wanting to work. I mean obvious firing pin strikes, but still not going off :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought an L22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!