Cheek weld on an AK or saiga different?

PDA

Master Blaster
November 6, 2003, 11:34 AM
I now own two AK type firearms, and I have noticed someting peculiar to russian / AK arms, I'm wondering if some of you have noticed the same phenomenon/ design characteristic or if its just me?

First time I went to shoot the SAR-1 It seemed to be shooting to the right, so I aimed about a foot to the left at 100 yards and I was hitting the bullseye, elevation setting was fine.

I read somewhere that you should keep your face closer to the rear of the reciever of an AK type gun due to the design of the small short stock to get good accuracy with the iron sights. The second time I went out I did this and the gun was right on the money, no adjustment to the front sight for windage needed.

I did not adjust windage the first time in case it was my technique rather than the sight settings. It was my technique I was using the cheek weld position that I would use on a normal sized stock, and this was wrong. The test target that came with the gun was right on, that was what made me doubt my technique ( head farther back).

Las week I bought a saiga in .308 the saiga has a 16" barrel like the SAR, but it has a full size stock. The test target that came with the saiga was right on windage and elevation. So Friday I went out to the range and put 40 rounds down range, the first few I fired did not register on the target (like the sar) so I aimed a foot to the left and sure enough the bullets started hitting in the bullseye.

The distance both times was 100 yards.

Last night It occured to me (as awaiting delivery of my sight pusher tool) that the cheek weld on the saiga might have to be like the AK despite the full sized stock.

So I took it out and shouldered it with my normal cheek weld. then I slid my head forward and low and behold the front sight moved to the left in the sight picture, So next time i go out I will try the AK cheek weld on the saiga. The means with my nose almost touching my right thumb and I bet the windage problem will dissappear.

So do russians normally shoot iron sights with their head farther forward than us US shooters do???

It would appear so.

Anyone else notice this or have any suggestions???

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheek weld on an AK or saiga different?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master Blaster
November 7, 2003, 09:28 AM
No one shoots iron sights on an AK ???

Master Blaster
November 10, 2003, 09:22 AM
Any suggestions?

AK103K
November 10, 2003, 05:35 PM
My AK's all have the standard AK stock. I personally like my head as far forward as possible on all my rifles when I shoot, so its not just the AK's. The tip of my nose is just touching the rear of the top cover when I shoot. I dont give much though to those test targets that come with the gun. None of the ones I got were what the rifle did when I shot it. I always had to adjust the sights. I think you need to sight the gun to you, and not the other way around. If you want the best AK sight tool out there, get one of the B-Square tools for the AK/SKS. Those cheap Chinese jobs are crap and bend more than they move the sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheek weld on an AK or saiga different?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!