Re-aquainted with an old friend.

PDA

armoredman
November 7, 2009, 04:29 PM
Took a rifle out that hadn't seen the light of day for some time, one that really could use it. After all, my very first experimentation with optics was this particular rifle, an experiment that actually turn out to be very successful...and the red dot, which has lasted for several years, cost a whopping $12.:D

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/1022.jpg

Yep, that thar sight says Daisy Electronic Point Sight, the cheapest red dot in the world, a plastic sheet recticle, and a front loading battery compartment with snap on/off cover. It was marketed for airguns and 22s, so I tried it. Hey, this sucker works, but keep that little plastic sheet dusted off, it isn't exactly glare proof. What it does is work for my wife at night or low light, and I figured the little 10/22 might make her " go to rifle" due to low weight and recoil. Plus, I can't afford either a GSG5 or another vZ-58 for her right now. So, armed with two brand new Butler Creek steel lips from Midway, (on clearance sale), and some Federal and Aguila ammo, I traipsed off to the range. No, no pictures.
The Butler Creek mags proved to be completely reliable...when holding 20 rounds or less. Oh well. The rifle worked flawlessly as usual, as if it had been waiting impatiently to get out again. Trigger was a little stiff, but worked itself in quickly. Truth is, it was fun to shoot, and the little cheapie red dot was dead on target. Forgot how much fun a little .22lr carbine can be...

PS, yes, that's a cat tail on the table, Mikhail, named for the General, of course.

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-aquainted with an old friend." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alemonkey
November 7, 2009, 05:10 PM
I used to have that exact same setup years ago. I don't know where the dot sight went, but now that same rifle wears a Green Mountain bull barrel and tech sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-aquainted with an old friend." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!