coharie MWS

PDA

Foxtrot427
November 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Anyone have any of the latest info on the Coharie MWS? I know its slated to be released soon like it has been forever. I know its supposed to have around 5 stock and handguard designs, cost under $500 with $125 caliber conversions. Anyone have new pictures or any new info on it?
http://www.ensdesignstudios.com/CA/images/ca_gallery/ca_image09.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q156/bhale187/MWS15.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "coharie MWS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AirborneNCO
November 7, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you already visited their site, but here it is anyway:

http://www.ensdesignstudios.com/CA/camws15.html

Features:
Gas piston driven
Parts interchangeable with Hk416
Great weight and balance
low recoil
Durable polymer exterior
Limited Lifetime warranty

Technical Specifications
Caliber: 5.56 NATO
Length: COMING SOON
Barrel Length: 16.5 inches
Weight: weapon: COMING SOON magazine(unloaded): 6.0 oz
Firing Modes: Safe/Semi Auto
Operation: Rotating bolt gas piston
Feed Method: 20, 30 round box magazine
Magazine Release: Side release
Site Range: Picatinny 1913 mil spec rail system
Standard Accessories: Owners manual and one 30 round magazine

Optional Accessories:
Grip Assembly: Removable plastic pistol grip
Scope Mount: Picatinny rail
Site Adjustment: Optional
Light System: Light and laser systems
Magazine: 30 round magazines

I didn't really find much on google with a cursory search. However, just from looking at the specs they have so far and the pictures, I think I can discern a few things/make some guesses about what they are trying to accomplish with the design.

I think they're going with the philosophy of having a high degree of modularity as well as borrowing from the strong points of both the AR and AK designs. I see two kinds of magazines in the pictures, one looks a lot like that used by ARs and the other one looks a lot like an AK mag. Perhaps we're seeing two different caliber options there.

Looks like it comes standard with picatinny rails all over it like white on rice. The specs say "gas-piston" (which is what an AK has, right?), and the lower receiver & magazine release arrangement appears to be very similar to an AR-15. The upper receiver, specifically the carry handle, similar to a G-36's. I wonder if it has some kind of see-through deal like a G-36 in the handle/upper protrusion.

Now, what will impress me is if they do sell it for the price you mentioned (<= $500)and it ends up being as accurate and reliable (or 90% thereof) of your typical off-the-shelf AR like Bushmaster or Panther arms. If that is the case, their success may explode since there will be a huge price gap between the Coharie MWS and AR-15 platform. Not to mention it has the modularity of caliber conversions, as people's preference of ammunition varies dramatically, and so do the applications of it.

I think the biggest selling point for me: The $125 dollar caliber conversion + low overall cost, if it is established as being 3 MOA accurate at 100 yards and reliable enough to feed any brand of ammo consistently. With those specs, I'd buy one, and then get new caliber conversions every two months. :evil:

Avenger29
November 7, 2009, 09:44 PM
If you're smart you'll stay the hell away from it and spend your money elsewhere.

Coharie = Special Weapons = Todd Bailey, one of the firearms industry's leading ripoff artists. Run. Like. Hell. He changes the names of his company frequently, too.

If all you have is $500 to spend on a weapon, buy an AK. Nothing good will come of buying the "MWS".

I think they're going with the philosophy of having a high degree of modularity as well as borrowing from the strong points of both the AR and AK designs. building an utter POS that looks somewhat like an HK G-36 and separating as many suckers from their money as possible.

Fixed that for you.

TargetTerror
November 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
So you don't like it, Avenger? :D

nwilliams
November 7, 2009, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't spend money on anything made by Cohaire or whatever name they go by currently, I think it's now Red Rock Arms:rolleyes:

Red Rock Arms, formally Bobcat Weapons, formally Cohaire Arms, formally Special Weapons, etc....or something of that nature, I'm sorry I can't keep track of how many times they change their name. Regardless if Todd Baily's name is attached to it in any way I would not invest my money in it

Avenger29
November 7, 2009, 10:51 PM
Red Rock Arms, formally Bobcat Weapons, formally Cohaire Arms, formally Special Weapons, etc....or something of that nature, I'm sorry I can't keep track of how many times they change their name. Regardless if Todd Baily's name is attached to it in any way I would not invest my money in it

When a company completely changes their name frequently, we call that a clue.

nwilliams
November 7, 2009, 10:57 PM
I also think any company that decides to make anything that looks like an HK would be very foolish to do so. HK seems to be on a crusade right now against any firearms, paintball or Airsoft companies that manufacture products that use HK designs.

dom1104
November 7, 2009, 11:32 PM
not to mention, that gun looks like butt. fugly.

AirborneNCO
November 8, 2009, 01:46 AM
Indeed, if they've changed their name that many times, and they have that bad of a reputation - then I'd agree staying away from them would be best. I did say, however, that "if it was reliable and accurate", then, and only then, would I invest in it. I doubt that it will ever reach that reputation and cause me to buy it. And I agree, it definitely looks :barf:

As for the original poster, all I can say is that my original post still holds true. I'd only get it if it establishes a good reputation or gets good reviews from a trusted source. Or, if you've got a lot of money and just want to test it out, go for it - but be careful, crappy weapons can be very unsafe.

Avenger29
November 8, 2009, 02:04 AM
Indeed, if they've changed their name that many times, and they have that bad of a reputation - then I'd agree staying away from them would be best. I did say, however, that "if it was reliable and accurate", then, and only then, would I invest in it. I doubt that it will ever reach that reputation and cause me to buy it. And I agree, it definitely looks

As for the original poster, all I can say is that my original post still holds true. I'd only get it if it establishes a good reputation or gets good reviews from a trusted source. Or, if you've got a lot of money and just want to test it out, go for it - but be careful, crappy weapons can be very unsafe.

As far as rifles go...

Special Weapons/Coharie/etc. and Vulcan Arms/Hesse/etc. are the main two companies that get such horrible reps for quality. Seriously, I can't think of another company that is that bad in quality. There are a few companies that make mediocre rifles, but none nearly as bad.

Only reason Coharie/Special weapons is still in business is that there are few MP-5 clones out there, so they have a niche. I haven't got a clue why Vulcan/Hesse is still in business.

freakshow10mm
November 8, 2009, 02:11 AM
I've gotten a couple shipments of the CA94 guns from them for transfers. FFL name states Special Weapons. Mesa Tactical is another one but I don't know if it's a local dealer or not.

My customers report reliability with the guns.

Foxtrot427
December 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ive heard alot of sketchy things about them as well. Thanks alot everyone for the info.

Definitely with you, airborne! No one should buy a firearm with a poor reputation unless they have no intention of shooting it. It'd be too good to be true if this thing actually was reliable and accurate. Im sure it could be made to look good! Just got to make it work right.

If you enjoyed reading about "coharie MWS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!