Polygonal Rifling in long gun's?

PDA

NidStyles
November 8, 2009, 04:49 AM
I was looking for some custom barrel's for a rifle I'm looking to piece together in a few month's and discovered PAC-NOR.com had Polygonal Rifling offered as an option.

I've used Glock's before, and they weren't bad for a pistol in the accuracy department.

My question would be is there any info on using this type of barrel in a long gun out to 1000yds and beyond?

I did a quick google search, and all I could really come up with were link's about not using non-jacketed round's through this type of rifling. It seem's even that is up to some debate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polygonal Rifling in long gun's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NWCP
November 8, 2009, 06:16 AM
The polygonal barrel allows for higher velocities and bullet stability by not deforming the bullet yet providing a tighter seal than land and groove. They should outlast land and groove barrels. They will foul more easily with unclad bullets. I don't see why you wouldn't get as good, or perhaps better performance from a polygonal barrel at extreme ranges. All my hunting rifles are land and groove. The only polygonal rifle I own is a HK91 and with iron sights I haven't shot over 200 yards with it. Even at that it performed surprisingly well considering I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. ;)

SlamFire1
November 8, 2009, 10:34 AM
Even at that it performed surprisingly well considering I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Come shoot in one of our Club's matches. Your eyesight is better than the majority of shooters on the firing line. :D:D:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Polygonal Rifling in long gun's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!