Help ID this primer pocket swager

PDA

xtratoy
November 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have a primer pocket swaging tool that has no name on it . It is for a .308 win sized base and large primer. I don't think all the parts are there and the part on the lower right I don't think goes with it but it slides up into the bottom part that screws into the press. It also slides right out too and falls on the floor. There seems to be something missing that would tie the ram to the swager . Any ideas of what this should consist of. Thanks
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k184/xtrayoy/primerswager012.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID this primer pocket swager" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
freakshow10mm
November 8, 2009, 03:22 PM
Bottom left is the swaging punch. That slides into the ram. Other than that I don't know how it works.

xtratoy
November 8, 2009, 08:21 PM
I got it to work by putting the swager punch in a 308 shellholder and screwing the upper left part into the press and it swaged the primer pocket. I still don't know what the other pieces were for. Thanks for looking.

EddieNFL
November 9, 2009, 04:00 PM
Looks like a http://www.ch4d.com/

xtratoy
November 10, 2009, 12:46 AM
the one I have fits a 308 type cartridge base. the ch4d has an interchangeable shellholder and probably works on 223 too. I tried mine out on LC 7.62x51 and 45 brass. Now I need to find a deal on 7.62x51 brass to swage the primer pockets.

EddieNFL
November 10, 2009, 07:28 AM
Is that anything like buying a new rifle 'cause you found some ammo? ;)

relodr36
November 21, 2009, 04:26 PM
The 2 parts you are using were probably made by Lachmiller.
I got one back in 1958.It was designed to swage the primer pockets on 30/06 military brass.I've used mine a lot.
The .308 uses the same case head,so it works also.
That is the best swager for large primer pockets ever made.:):):)
It's a lot faster than the RCBS,and putting the case in top of the die instead of on the ram is a desirable feature.
I've still got the original box and I think it contained instructions.If so,I'll copy them and send them.
I wish I had one for .223's.
The CH4D is similar,but in order to use the same die for both small and large primers,they had to use a shellholder.That introduces some "slop".

The other parts could probably be identified by looking thru some old Handloader Digests.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID this primer pocket swager" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!