Speer TMJ--Plated?

PDA

mongoose33
November 8, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've been trying to work up some loads for Hornady 147gr XTP, and was pointed to a Lyman load listed in the 49th--a load for the Speer TMJ 147 gr.

What I'm wondering is if it's more like the Rainier Leadsafe plated bullets, which I load more like lead, or a harder shell more like a FMJ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Speer TMJ--Plated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
November 8, 2009, 09:41 PM
They are jacketed. TMJ = Total Metal Jacket...similar to FMJ which is, of course...Full Metal Jacket.

JLW3501
November 8, 2009, 10:07 PM
Speer TMJ bullets are plated. I've loaded them hot enough to prove it (45 Super)

Walkalong
November 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hmmm, after looking at their website, I believe you are right, but they are not plated bullets in the usual sense. They use a much thicker "jacket" with better bonding than Ranier or Berrys etc. They use this technology on several of their bullets designed for tough duty. It is a proven bonding system. I am surprised you could make them fail. They will definitely hold up to standard loads in 9MM.

What I'm wondering is if it's more like the Rainier Leadsafe plated bullets, which I load more like lead, or a harder shell more like a FMJ?
More like a FMJ, designed to be loaded with standard jacketed data.

JLW3501
November 9, 2009, 07:40 AM
Agreed.

The Gold Dots are the same way...I've seen those come loose with hot loads too.

jfh
November 9, 2009, 08:21 AM
...and, IIRC, the Speer TMJs (including 147-gr) I bought some fifteen, maybe twenty years ago are jacketed and not bonded. AFAIK, the Gold Dots have always been the bonded type. Some of my testing with the GDSB 135-gr. JHPs yielded fragmenting when loaded above perhaps 1200--i.e., MAX 357 loads, 4" barrel.

Jim H.

mongoose33
November 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks, guys. I had had hopes that the bullet was more like lead than jacketed, but I'll simply accept it as FMJ and go from there.

Jim Watson
November 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
The Speer TMJ and Gold Dot bullets are made by electroplating copper over a lead core.
BUT the plating is about three times as thick as what the "plated bullets loaded like cast" from Ranier and Berry have; so they are loaded like drawn jacket bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Speer TMJ--Plated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!