Roll crimp die for .357 SIG

PDA

DWFan
November 9, 2009, 05:55 AM
Does anyone make such a thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Roll crimp die for .357 SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
November 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out why you would want to use a a roll crimp on the 357 Sig. However I would suggest giving RCBS a call to inquire about such a die. Their number is 1-800-533-5000. I believe that their customer service dept may be closed on Mondays.

Walkalong
November 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
I thought the .357 Sig used a roll crimp, but I have never loaded any, nor even seen any .357 Sig dies, so I don't know. I do know the .400 Corbon uses a roll crimp.

Runningman
November 9, 2009, 10:26 AM
Not sure what die set you are using but my RCBS FL die set in 357 Sig has a roll crimp built into the seating die. So the answer to your question is yes. If you go this route for best results do the roll crimp in a separate operation from seating the bullet.

Having said all that I do not roll crimp the 357 Sig any more. I've been using the Lee Factory crimp die for the 357 Sig because it flat out works the best on the 357 Sig.

The problem with roll crimping is.... to get consistent results case length must be controlled very tightly. This alone takes a lot of extra time.

You may want to read this. http://www.realguns.com/archives/112.htm

SteveW-II
November 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
I thought that the 357 SIG, despite being a bottle neck round, headspaced on the case mouth (like most autoloader rounds), not the bottleneck shoulder. If that is true, then that would be why you wouldn't roll crimp the assembled round.

DWFan
November 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
The reason for the roll crimp is to attempt to salvage a 9mm Contender barrel who's bore is actually .357", so .357" bullets would be used...with a crimp groove....and the chamber cut to headspace on the shoulder. You can't rechamber a 9mm to .38 Special or .357 Mag and the 9mm Win Mag is rather expensive and not factory loaded.

rcmodel
November 9, 2009, 02:07 PM
There is still no need to roll crimp them for use in a single-shot pistol.

Just because the bullet has a cannelure doesn't mean you have to use it.

rc

Runningman
November 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
I thought that the 357 SIG, despite being a bottle neck round, headspaced on the case mouth (like most autoloader rounds), not the bottleneck shoulder. If that is true, then that would be why you wouldn't roll crimp the assembled round. There is much confusion on this subject. I've been messing around with the 357 Sig since 1996 And I'm still not sure their is a black and white answer to this.

According to SAAMI the 357 Sig does headspace on the case mouth. RCBS states the 357 Sig headspaces on the case mouth. Yet it is interesting to note RCBS uses a Roll crimp on their dies and Lee uses a taper crimp on their dies. At least that is how my two sets of dies are.

The Hornady dies I have looked at also have a roll crimp. So this brings up the question. If the 357 Sig is supposed to locate on the case mouth why than DOES Hornady and RCBS in fact use a Roll crimp on their 357 Sig dies??

Myself I've found when loading the 357 Sig that you need to ALSO pay attention to where you adjust your sizer die because the case shoulder can have an effect on your results. I use a 357 Sig barrel to check results.

Anyway here is some interesting reading on the subject. http://www.realguns.com/archives/001.htm

BigJakeJ1s
November 10, 2009, 12:21 AM
++1 for the collet type FCD for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges. I haven't use one for 357 sig, but in 7.62x25, it works great!

Andy

John Wayne
November 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
If you're rechambering it for a single shot pistol, why not go for the 9mm Win Mag like you said? If you're reloading, why do factory ammo costs matter?

I don't see much use for a 9mm Contender-sized single-shot pistol. At least the 9mm Win Mag (9x23?) would be sorta useable for hunting...maybe.

DWFan
November 10, 2009, 01:52 AM
The 9mm Win Mag is not the 9x23; it's a 9x29 (1.16" case). The reasons for the rechambering?
(1) 9mm Win Mag brass is only available from Starline, and as good as Starline is, if they drop production (as they have with some SuperMag cases and the .360 Dan Wesson), the firearm becomes useless unless rechambered yet again.
(2) The guy has a .357 SIG Glock and wants to use the same die set for both. He doesn't have the dies yet.
(3) He's already got Contender barrels in .223 and .357 Maximum; the .357 SIG fits neatly in between. Besides, the 9mm barrel only cost him $50.
(4) The loads for the Contender will probably be at maximum pressure, or more, for the Glock and using the .357" bullets readily identifies them so they don't accidentally wind up in the Glock mag. Even if they could be fired, they'll probably have a longer overall length than a standard .357 SIG and might feed jam on him.
(5) Yes, using the crimp groove is optional for the Contender, but if it's there, why not use it? (His words, not mine. I asked him the same thing.)
(6) The Contender will be more accurate than the Glock for small game. (I don't think it's legal for deer and he's got the Maximum for that anyway.) I think he is going to use it on stuff like coyote....or maybe just a pleasure shooter.
Personally, I think he should rechamber it to either .357-44 Bain & Davis or .357 Herrett; but I told him I'd ask for him. I don't know much about the .357 SIG myself.
Thanks for the assistance, guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Roll crimp die for .357 SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!