12 ga. Unique 1 oz. loads

PDA

Crashola
November 9, 2009, 11:49 AM
Would any fellow High Roaders happen to have an old Alliant loading manual laying around? Unfortunately, I tossed mine and lost an old load. I had a 12 gauge 1 oz. load that used Unique, Win 209 Primers, AA hulls, and WAA12sl wads that doesn't appear in the Alliant data any more. Alliant doesn't publish anything for Unique less than 1 1/8 oz.

If you enjoyed reading about "12 ga. Unique 1 oz. loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Galil5.56
November 9, 2009, 12:49 PM
I looked at all my Hercules/Alliant manuals going back before SL wads were out, and after, and do not see what you seek; that being 1 oz 12 gauge loads with Unique with any wad/hull. Not saying it did not exist, but even in higher intensity charges, I'd think the LUP's would be very low, and damn near blooper in really cold weather?

I have loaded a lot of Unique in 12 gauge w/1 1/8 oz, (and 1 1/4 oz) with fair results when really pushed, but can't help thinking 1 oz, especially in 2 3/4 DE type loads with Unique would be terrible... How do you recollect their performance?

Crashola
November 9, 2009, 01:17 PM
I can't recall. Maybe that's because they were forgettable?? Thanks for looking it up. It had been a while since I had loaded shotshells. No big deal. I'll pick up some other powder and use the Unique for my pistol loads. I was thinking of getting some Clays. Any suggestions for a good all-around 1 oz. target load using AA hulls and WAA12SL wads?

Galil5.56
November 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
No Problem.

The "slowest" powder I have used for 1 oz has been International Clays, and even then I did not like the performance. In shotguns it performs/has a pressure curve similar to Green Dot, and when I tried it w/1 oz, I had a lot of unburned powder which this powder normally does not do when loaded with 1 1/8oz, and the smell after firing was very acrid, and the same smell you get with inefficient burning. Wad pressure was fine, and hulls held a nice firm crimp.

When I load 1 oz I always used Red Dot, 700x, and from about 10 years ago Clays. (Just Clays, not International or Universal). I think your idea of getting plain Clays for 1 oz is a good choice, at least it has been for me. Good loads can be found right at the Hodgdon website, and is what I use or the Lyman manual. I like to look at the pressure tables given, and don't like any shotgun load to go below 9000 LUPs/psi, and prefer over 10k. Seems when you use loads with 6500 psi or less, the chance of blooper/off sounding rounds happen, especially in very cold weather. Lots of good choices out there, and IMO, a lot better than Unique to drive 1 oz 12 gauge loads. If you ever want to "step it up" a bit, and would like to load nice International style 1 1/8 oz loads, might give "International Clays" a try. It produces very clean, very consistent ammo, that makes it very easy to get 1270 fps loads if you should want them.

Good luck!

rcmodel
November 9, 2009, 01:36 PM
I don't recall Unique ever being used in 1 oz loads.

It comes into it's own starting at 1 1/4 oz field loads, and is also used in 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 oz magnum loads.

I don't think it would even work for 1 oz loads.

rc

Galil5.56
November 9, 2009, 01:50 PM
It comes into it's own starting at 1 1/4 oz field loads, and is also used in 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 oz magnum loads.

1 1/2 oz in 2 3/4" shells with Unique?... Can you site a published source? Interesting to see the (low) velocity they got. Unique seems WAY to fast/rapid pressure curve for 1 1/2 oz for anything approaching "normal" loads.

Just to put numbers on the 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz loads I mentioned in my first post, below is what I used and got with Unique shot from a 28" Beretta 686 Onyx.

WW AA (old red compression formed) hulls, WW 209, 1 1/8 oz shot, WT-12 wad, 25 grains Unique = 1279 fps

Fed Polyformed hulls 1 1/4 oz shot, Fed 209, Fed C1 wad, 25.5 grains Unique = 1255 fps

Maybe Crash, you can find some shotgun use for your Unique should you ever want to go to 1 1/8 and a bit more.

Crashola
November 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll give the Red Dot and 700X a look in addition to the Clays.

rcmodel
November 9, 2009, 01:59 PM
1 1/2 oz in 2 3/4" shells with Unique?...AHHHHHHH! You got me!
I took a quick glance at the Alliant guide and saw Unique listed with a header above the data saying 1 1/4, 1 3/8, & 1 1/2 oz.

Failed to note Unique starts at 1 1/4 and ends at 1 1/4 oz!!

I should have known better as I have loaded nothing but Unique 1 1 /4 heavy field loads for about 45 years.

rc

Steve C
November 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
No loads using Unique with 1oz of shot in 12ga AA's in the 1983 pamphlet. 1st Unique loads start with 1-1/8oz.

If you enjoyed reading about "12 ga. Unique 1 oz. loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!