Bullet Hardness Question

PDA

Kevin5098
November 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
I mistakenly ordered Missouri Bullet 125 gr cowboy action bullets (Brinell 12)from Grafs for my GP-100. I normally stick with light target loads - 16,900 CUP for .38s and 18800 CUP for .357s. According to the technical page on the Missouri Bullet website, the optimum hardness for these loads is in the 13 - 15 range. Should I use these bullets or return for an exchange? The loads will be for casual range use and I am in the habit of cleaning the revolver after each trip. I'd rather not exchange them unless necessary.

Thanks,

Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Hardness Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
November 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
Your good to go. That is almost like using wheel weights which most of who cast use. For what you want they are perfect

Kevin5098
November 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks

GP100man
November 10, 2009, 07:44 AM
12 bhn should do ok for what you describe .

less weight to push the lower the pressure , ya mite have to bump the charge to get the bullet to seal good.

My low pressure rounds for 357 i try between 10-13 bhn, & 150 gr bullets.

Remo-99
November 10, 2009, 08:19 AM
Bullets that are a fraction softer than your usual loads should not cause any issues at all. Correct bullet sizing for your gun would be more important.

fourdollarbill
November 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
Actually I prefer a softer bullet than 12BHN with a lite load. The softer bullet will expand and seal better keeping the hot gas from blow torching past the bullet up the rifling causing slivers of lead to make a mess of the barrel. Or if you can size your own... Size it to the cylinder throat measurement and no hot gasses will blow torch passed the properly sized bullet.

I would keep the bullets and shoot them. Maybe up the charge a bit or not.
If you have any leading do this:

Unroll an Oh'Cedar or Chore Boy brand pure copper scrub pad and cut a 2" sleeve off.
Roll that sleeve around a 22 caliber bronze cleaning brush.
Lube it with Hoppes #9 or your solvent.
Feed it in the bore and scrub the lead out in about 10 strokes.

Patch the bore clean and your done.

lexjj
November 11, 2009, 07:49 AM
I shoot those same bullets at target velocities and get no leading. I use 3.5 grains of 231.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Hardness Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!