Help identify military rifle

PDA

jcs271
November 9, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry no pictures, my friend just pulled it out of a closet to show me as I was leaving.

He inherited it from his father. I have been around guns for 40yrs but never seen anything like it.

It appears to be a sporterized miltary surplus rifle.

NO MARKINGS other than serial numbers. Caliber appeared to be .30 or larger.

The bolt is pulled back by means of a large verticle/knurled handle (like you would hook two fingers on it and pull back).

At the rear of the reciever is a LARGE (chrome?) ring that can be pulled straight back and rotated. Maybe the safety?

Sadly I had just a moment to see it but am now very intrigued.

Any ideas, links. thanks, jcs

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identify military rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
November 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
K31? hard to play w/o pics.....

rugbyer81
November 9, 2009, 07:37 PM
Certainly sounds like a K31.

This it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K31

Maverick223
November 9, 2009, 07:44 PM
Definitely a Schmidt Rubin K31 from the sound of it, caliber is 7.7mm Swiss. One of the (if not the) most accurate infantry rifles of all time. :)

kanook
November 9, 2009, 08:25 PM
4 out of 4 shooters agree.

jcs271
November 10, 2009, 03:18 PM
You guys are good! That wiki link confirmed it.

A K-31 it is, Thanks

gun addict
November 10, 2009, 03:23 PM
don't be too haste, if it belonged to his father chances are it could be a K11 or earlier Schmit Rubin series rifle, post a picture to be sure, some of the earliest Schmit Rubin like 1889 cannot handle the GP11 7.5 ammo

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
don't be too haste, if it belonged to his father chances are it could be a K11 or earlier Schmit Rubin series rifleVery true, what is the charging/bolt handle made out of? That should be a good indicator. :)

YaNi
November 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
You will be able to tell the difference if you pull the bolt out. The K31 has the bolt lugs at the front of the bolt, the 1911 has them midway up the bolt.

If it's a 1911 protect the mag with your life. My friend has one his grandfather gave him w/o a mag, and they are impossible to find and expensive. They only issued 1 mag/gun...

MrFox
November 10, 2009, 06:38 PM
If the bolt handle is brown, its not a K31.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identify military rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!