Good groups from a Mini?

PDA

Blackbeard
November 9, 2009, 06:45 PM
Buddy of mine has a Mini-14 he bought new about 25 years ago. Lately we've been going out to the range and neither of us can seem to get a decent grouping out of it. Our best groups are about 5" at 50 yards. Tried it with the iron sights and with a Truglo red dot. No help. My AR and my .22 Marlin both shoot 1-inch groups at that range. Is the Mini just that inaccurate, or do you think maybe the crown was damaged or something?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good groups from a Mini?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
November 9, 2009, 06:54 PM
That's really poor even for a mini of that vintage. did you take a look down the barrel? Are there lands and grooves? a musket will get you 5" and 50 yds.....

frankiestoys
November 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
I have heard the older series mini's are that bad, my 580 shoots 1 1/2 groups at 50
yrds. Have a smith look at it they should be able to tell you if somethings not right.

kanook
November 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
what grain bullet and what brand are you using.

Are you using 5.56 or .223?

Many reasons why it might not be doing good.

DammitBoy
November 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
Are you shooting 50 grain bullets? If so, try using 65 grain or heavier.

X - Man
November 9, 2009, 08:11 PM
Over the years the Mini has been produced with several different twist rates in the barrels. Dammit Boy has a good suggestion, try different weight bullets.

Might want to do a little research to learn which series Mini you have.
What bullet weight were you using?

Art Eatman
November 9, 2009, 10:24 PM
I had a couple of early Minis; one was one of the first in stainless. A couple more in the mid-80s.

Sandbagged on the benchrest, they all pretty much gave me 1.5 MOA for the first three shots with a K4 on top, and then the groups would open up to two or so. That's why I figure they're great as a hunting gun but not any sort of target critter. With the original irons I guess maybe 3 MOA, but that was more me than the gun. Middle-aged eyeballs and all that.

R.W.Dale
November 9, 2009, 11:38 PM
Has the bore ever been throughly cleaned with a COPPER solvent.

And hoppes no no9 doesn't count

Blackbeard
November 10, 2009, 12:06 AM
Like I said, it's my friend's rifle, not mine. I'm not sure if he knows what model it is. Yesterday we were shooting regular old Remington 55gr MC. I can't attest to the quality of the bore or whether it's been cleaned, but I'll suggest it when I see him again.

Blowingsky
November 10, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have a series 180 bicentennial. Standard vented top. I think it is a 1:9 twist. At 100 yds with the front end secured on a bench, it pretty much stays within 3" with any ammo and doesn't change much with heat...well maybe an inch or so and that sucker gets hot!

dom1104
November 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
It has been posted before, and it shall be posted again.

Its funny how internet gun knowledge gets blown out of reality.

If all you read was the internet, you would think an AR need 50 parts replaced every year, and a 55 gallon drum of oil.

And that the mini cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Dravur
November 10, 2009, 09:04 AM
Some minis can actually shoot decently... Some Minis look like a shotgun pattern. You may just have one of the shotguns.

desidog
November 10, 2009, 12:16 PM
How much time between shots?

My 180-series Ranch Rifle is very accurate cold; but a couple quick shots and the POI starts walking up the page to the right....

FullEffect1911
November 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
dom1104, that target picture is just too funny.

HarleyFixer
November 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
Trygoing to this site asnd reading different things to try.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

DammitBoy
November 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yesterday we were shooting regular old Remington 55gr MC.

I'll bet money he has an older Mini-14 with a faster twist. Those rifles will not have a lot of success with the lighter 50-55 grain bullets.

Switch to a 65-75 grain bullet and watch that group tighten up significantly.

Ed Ames
November 10, 2009, 11:06 PM
For the record, slower twist means use a LIGHTER (well, shorter, but shorter means lighter) bullet. If you have a gun with a 1-10" twist, try for 55gr or lighter bullets. Older Rugers had 1-10", they then went to 1-7" (which is standard for a lot of ARs today, and will stabilize up to about 80gr) in the mid 80s and since the mid 90s they are now 1-9" (which is considered "slow" for ARs today and fine to 65gr or so).

Blackbeard
November 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
Update: My buddy replaced the TruGlo sight with a Tasco ProPoint, and the groups showed a marked improvement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good groups from a Mini?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!