scope mount on a stock

PDA

twkremer
November 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
Would mounting a scope mount on the stock of a rifle be a worthless, foolish endeavor, or could it produce a mildly accurate rifle with full-powered cartridges? Would bedding the stock be a good idea for such a mount? opinions? Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "scope mount on a stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
November 9, 2009, 09:15 PM
Where would you put the scope on the stock? Not trying to knock the idea, but it also may not be the best idea to bolt something designed to improve accuracy to the softest material on the entire gun.

Avenger29
November 9, 2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a Bad Idea and doesn't really make any sense to do so.

Any reason why the scope couldn't be mounted on the receiver? Why are you looking for "mildly accurate with full power cartridges"? There are plenty of "very accurate" rifles with "full power cartridges".

Ohio Gun Guy
November 9, 2009, 09:20 PM
I've never done it, but I would bet it would have an annoying habit of being close on some shots and then wild the next. I'm saying this, because on guns with scopes in the past, mounted on recievers, if something was even a little loose, that was the result.

twkremer
November 9, 2009, 09:23 PM
yeah, I figured that would be the situation. :( thanks. The reason is that i'm like a little girl when it comes to altering a receiver. I don't want to mess it up. But if that's the way it must be, so it shall be.

Avenger29
November 9, 2009, 09:29 PM
yeah, I figured that would be the situation. thanks. The reason is that i'm like a little girl when it comes to altering a receiver. I don't want to mess it up. But if that's the way it must be, so it shall be.

What rifle are you trying to modify? Why?

highorder
November 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
I don't want to mess it up.

Pay someone you trust to do your work.

mljdeckard
November 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
Or buy a duplicate. One to butcher, one to cherish.

twkremer
November 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
mosin 91/30. here's a new idea, though. here's a mosin receiver, and a rem 700 dovetail mount. I tried out the angle with a scope and rubber bands. and it would be rather easy to zero in. thoughts?

twkremer
November 9, 2009, 09:55 PM
here's the image

mljdeckard
November 9, 2009, 09:56 PM
Rubber bands?

It's not 91/30s are rare or expensive.....or like they don't make scope mounts for them.

twkremer
November 9, 2009, 09:59 PM
i did not attempt to mount a scope with ruber bands. It was to hold the scope in place while i looked through to estimat the general angle it would be at.:banghead:

highorder
November 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
You should find a gunsmith you trust, and have him drill and tap your Mosin and mount the appropriate base. You wont be happy with the results if you try to guestimate and use the incorrect parts...

If you dont want to modify anything, get a scout mount that replaces the rear sight; they require no permanent modifications to anything.

Give this a read. (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/skm44scopemount/index.asp)

If you enjoyed reading about "scope mount on a stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!