Camelbak Filtration System??

PDA

Skunkabilly
November 6, 2003, 03:36 PM
http://www.camelbak.com/camelbak/images/pl_60084.jpg

Anyone use these? Are they reliable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Camelbak Filtration System??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Obiwan
November 6, 2003, 03:44 PM
First I have seen it

Is it for filtering water going INTO your Camelback....or are you supposed to put unfiltered water in the Camelback???:confused:

curt
November 6, 2003, 04:07 PM
If its whaat i think it is its for removing the chlorine taste from water.

jthuang
November 6, 2003, 04:34 PM
Le Skunk,

I've avoided those filters. To me, if I'm in the backcountry I want the water to be clean BEFORE it hits my hydration system. I may have to use the water bladder for other functions; in that case, I need the water contained inside the bladder to be pure and not contaminated.

For example, if I am out in the woods and I have forgotten my trusty Nalgene Lexan bottle, my only water container is my Camelbak hydration unit. I want to boil some water to make pasta for dinner. So I grab my Camelbak and amble down to the lake to get some water.

Option 1: with my pUr Hiker filter, I filter water directly into the Camelbak bladder. The Hiker's output hose is threaded into an adapter that perfectly matches that opening on a hydration bladder (or a Nalgene bottle for that matter). All water in the bladder and drinking tube are filtered. I take the filled bladder and dump the water directly into my cooking pot. 30 minutes later after adding pasta, sesame oil, garlic powder and crushed red pepper I'm eating.

Option 2: with the Camelbak filter unit, if I fill the bladder directly from the lake, there is a possibility that the lake water is contaminated. If I want to make my pasta, I have to pull the water through the drinking tube (and through the Camelbak filter) to get it into the cooking pot. I don't know how to do this besides the old "suck and spit" method of transferring gasoline from car to car. In addition, my drinking tube and bladder are now possibly contaminated; I will need to thoroughly clean both before using the unit sans filter with clean water.

IMHO, get a separate filter and you'll be better off in the backcountry.

Justin

Skunkabilly
November 6, 2003, 05:44 PM
why not that, and the standard filter and tablets for the especially paranoid? Other than cost is there a disadvantage? It's not like I have friends to eat out with or a girlfriend to take movies to :p

TechBrute
November 6, 2003, 10:43 PM
That's an inline filter. You put crud water in the bladder and suck it through the inline filter.

Here's a little attachment so that you can fill your CB from a filter setup.

http://www.camelbak.com/mil/cb_prod.cfm?Product_ID=250&CATID=6

HydroLink™ Filter Adapter
Our HydroLink Filter Adapter™ allows in-line attachment of all leading filtration and purification products. No need to fill a reservoir through the OMEGA™ or Screw Cap openings, just backfill the reservoir through the delivery tube assembly.

MSRP (US only) -- $10.00

If you enjoyed reading about "Camelbak Filtration System??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!