AK Magazines

PDA

giggitygiggity
November 9, 2009, 11:57 PM
Where can I buy good quality AK magazines. I am looking for about 4-5 30rd AK magazines. I would like them to be fairly inexpensive ($10-15 a piece), but I also want them to be reliable and durable. I can find lots of places that sell surplus mags for $10 dollars as well as mags that are $40. What magazine do I need for my 7.62x39 AK that will reliably feed? I do not care if they are used or not. They just have to be reliable and durable. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AbductedRedneck
November 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
check these out:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MAGAKA-KR30.aspx

me and my dad used these in a wasr 10 with the older wolf ammo, 180 rounds (6 mags) without a single malfunction. but then again it is an ak lol. better prices than cheaper than dirt that cost like $20. good luck

dawico
November 10, 2009, 12:46 AM
I have had really good luck with Tapco AK 47 mags. I found them at a gun show for $10, but they are available at alot of other places online or in stores for a little more. I threw away the metal mags that came with my AK once I got these.

Avenger29
November 10, 2009, 12:49 AM
Surplus steel mags and Bulgarian waffle mags are both good options.

but then again it is an ak lol

AKs malf and break, too.

I threw away the metal mags that came with my AK once I got these.

Uh, WHY did you throw away perfectly good mags? Makes no sense...

gun addict
November 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
dawico are you SERIOUS? Everyone knows the best quality magazines are the Com-bloc steel/polymer mags, and you throw those away for crappy tapco? Do i smell a troll? :scrutiny:

and to answer the original poster's question, the best mags and cheapest you'll find are on AIMsurplus

ny32182
November 10, 2009, 01:19 AM
The Bulgarian waffle mags are my favorites.

rocinante
November 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
I like the yugo magazines that hold open on the last round

John Parker
November 10, 2009, 07:59 AM
Everyone knows the best quality magazines are the Com-bloc steel/polymer mags, and you throw those away for crappy tapco? Do i smell a troll?

He's not a troll, he's just fallen into the 'gear queer' pit. Tapco's 'Tactical polymer uber-magazine' was made to give us the PMag of the AK world. A solution in search of a problem, really, since surplus magazines are robust and reliable!
AIM Surplus generally has some good deals on Comblock AK magazines. www.aimsurplus.com.

atlanticfire
November 10, 2009, 08:29 AM
I haven't seen to many AK mags that would not function. Now fit and finish is a different story. But as fare as I know all of them work unless they have a major defect. For blood sake it's an AK, it just works. I am a metal guy though and don't by into the poly crap, but thatís just personal preference.

D Boone
November 10, 2009, 08:44 AM
I hate the ones from Centerfire that are "Gray". When I ordered them they were labeled as European mfg. surplus used. I got the gray mags in. I guess they are not terrible, but not what I ordered or wanted. They are already rusting in places and will have to be painted.

wally
November 10, 2009, 10:45 AM
The only way I can make any of my AKs fail is to use a US made magazine -- especially National or ProMag. Be careful, some less than scrupulous dealers are calling these PMI (Pro Mag Industries) now.

The $10 CDNN & Centerfire Systems gray AK mags are Korean, they work fine for me. I don't think the brownish red spots are rust, I think its a color problem with the Parkarization that is why they were rejected and sold cheap. In any case, a little rust has never bothered an AK :)

The Yugo bolt hold open isn't very practical as the bolt slams forward as soon as you remove it, so it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Remember the design mantra of the Soviet era from whence the AK came was "Quantity has a Quality of its very own!"

--wally.

Dave Markowitz
November 10, 2009, 12:31 PM
AIM Surplus has Combloc steel magazine:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_European_Steel_AK47_7.62x39_30rd_magazines.html

These or Bulgarian waffles (not the "bullet" mags) are your best bet.

Avenger29
November 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
Tapco's 'Tactical polymer uber-magazine' was made to give us the PMag of the AK world. A solution in search of a problem, really, since surplus magazines are robust and reliable!

At least a lot of engineering went into Magpul PMAGs to solve a very real issue, vs. Tapco slapping some plastic together to create whatever...

Stick with the milsurp steel and Bulgy waffle mags and you won't have a problem.

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
Though I have heard that the new Tapco polymer mags are good, I would still stick with what I know works, is cheap, and durable...good 'ole original steel. :)

malix
November 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
I keep hearing about these Bulgarian waffles but i dont think i have ever seen them for sale anywhere. Does somebody have a link?

edit: nevermind, k-var has them for $30. i think i'll stick with steel ak mags.

John Parker
November 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
At least a lot of engineering went into Magpul PMAGs to solve a very real issue, vs. Tapco slapping some plastic together to create whatever...

I totally agree. Not meant to be a slam on PMAGs at all. I've used them both at home and deployed, and they are true winners.

AbductedRedneck
November 10, 2009, 07:13 PM
what maverick said. function aside, i just cant get used to seeing plastic mags on an ak for some reason. unless it was it was a tantal.

dawico
November 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
The metal mags that came with my AK sucked. They were loose and very sloppy. I thought my AK was screwed up, but knowing most feed problems are mag related I tried the Tapco mags. Not one jam or FTF since. They fit tight and lock up very securely. You do what you want, but if I have a magazine that doesn't feed right I throw it away. I don't know what a troll is, but if throwing 2 worthless magazines away makes me a 'gear queer' so be it. Like I said, they didn't feed right. I am not saying all imported metal mags are crap, but mine were.

The Tapco magazines work well and fit the price range. Just trying to answer the question.

John Parker
November 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Ah, I don't really think you are a gear queer for buying Tapco. I was just teasing you.

wally
November 10, 2009, 08:08 PM
The metal mags that came with my AK sucked. They were loose and very sloppy. I thought my AK was screwed up, but knowing most feed problems are mag related I tried the Tapco mags. Not one jam or FTF since.

What AK? Its possible the jobber stuck in a pair of National brand mags which would likely account for the issue. These junkers are metal and look like the Comblock ones without a closer inspection.

Also AIM surplus has shipped out some badly dented mags in the past, most AK mag dents are only cosmetic but these were bad enough to cause the follower to bind. AIM offered to let me exchange them, but I figured at the $8 each I paid it was worth it just for spare springs and followers.

Later I noticed that a Craftsman 1/2" drive socket extension socket end was just a tad bigger in diameter than the AK follower was wide. I pounded in the extension to "iron" out the dents and these mags have worked fine since. I gave it a try as I saw an AK armorer's kit that had a mandrel to drive into the magazine to remove dents, not much goes wrong with an AK you can't fix with the right sized hammer :)

--wally.

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
not much goes wrong with an AK you can't fix with the right sized hammer
AR-15 Type Hammer:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BD-q1aX0YVg/RMqie83YABI/AAAAAAAAAdk/mlXVfFmhr_k/P1010106.JPG
***Note: USE CAUTION as too much force can result in irreparable damage***

AK Type Hammer:
http://www.enuii.org/vulcan_foundry/the_works/forge_steam_hammer_small.jpg
***Note: Larger hammer may be required for some tasks***

gun addict
November 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
good luck with those plastic tapco mags, they're not even on the same class as Com-bloc polymer mags! Tapco never steel reinforced the feed lip and their "waffle pattern" are all for show instead of actual reinforce rigitivity.

I'll take 10 whatever com-bloc country steel mag over 20 tapco mags any day.

dawico
November 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
No harm, no foul JP

My metal mags rocked back and forth and side to side alot. The mag catch would not hold magazines up tight enough in the back for the bolt to grab the next round consistantly. Could have probably fixed that with my welder (on the magazine) but why bother. If my AK is any tighter in the mag well, the Tapcos would not even fit. Tapcos fit very well, and maybe I just had a couple bad magazines supplied with the rifle. When I wear out my plastic junk Tapcos I may try metal again. I always figured the metal mags were good since that seems to be what everyone uses, but mine must have been out of spec or something.

gun addict
November 11, 2009, 02:06 AM
no your problem lays in the rifle, not magazine. If your magazine is a Com-bloc and in fair condition it is almost 100% guranteed that it will run with no problem. All Eastern European/Commie Mags are made in spec and i''ve never had any problem with them . It sounds like you have a WASR series rifle with the mag well problem, it would be reasonable for you to think "plastic" is better as they're genrally oversized

Get a good AK and try out the steel magazines, you'll like it, i gurantee

Also look up some videos on AK steel mags, you can run them over with a pickup and they'll still work like a charm

rocinante
November 11, 2009, 07:44 AM
The Yugo bolt hold open isn't very practical as the bolt slams forward as soon as you remove it, so it doesn't really accomplish anything.

It lets you know you are empty. Even at a relaxed and leisurely shooting range I loose count. If it was a for real for real shoot and be shot at situation that cue, hey its time to put in a new magazine, might be better than just hearing click.

Bad Hammer
November 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
It lets you know you are empty.
Reasonable perception. But I agree with the rationale that it really doesn't accomplish anything.
The AK has been in service for 60 years and manufactured by many countries, and Yugoslavia is the only country to utilize that feature.
They are also the only one (that comes to mind) that doesn't chrome line the chamber and bore.
Either the Soviets, as well as all the other nations, were missing something in their designs, or the Yugoslavians were truly brilliant.
But if that were truly the case you'd think they would have chrome lined their barrels.
If the hold-open had been an issue it would have become standard decades ago.

Jguy101
November 11, 2009, 04:22 PM
FYI, Yugoslavia didn't chrome their bores because they didn't have much chromium to do so with.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!