AR-15 magazines

PDA

sprice
November 10, 2009, 11:45 AM
What are the best value, best high capacity, best ultra high capacity, and flat out best AR magazines? I heard good things about brownel's mags- any advice on those?

This is more of a personal note but these are the Magazines I want to try: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF031&gid=FNG009&mid=FNM0162, http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-Brownells-p/mag%20brnl%20t30%20cs%20503.htm, http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt20.htm, http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/magpul%20pmag%2030%20fde.htm, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27428/Product/AR_15_M16_HOSTILE_ENVIRONMENT_42_ROUND_BATTLE_MAGAZINE, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=739437, http://www.impactguns.com/store/SP62328.html, http://www.impactguns.com/store/SP62103BF.html and some 20 rnd pmags.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
November 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
Pmag.

I don't do 30+ capacity mags. 30 is heavy enough as it is.

Landpimp
November 10, 2009, 11:54 AM
P mags and HK 416 mags, I actully like the 20rd P mags as well, much more compact

if you want really hi cap.....Beta C mag, 100rds :D

gga357
November 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
I prefer 20 round PMAGS.

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 12:00 PM
PMags are great, USGI are very good (especially LaBelle and AdventureLine), and most else is junk. If you go with USGI, I highly recommend using CMMG stainless followers. Personally I prefer 20rnd mags but if you want high capacity stick to 30s or Sterling manufactured 40rnd magazines. Just be aware these magazines are rare and garner a premium price (about $50.00USD), as they were designed for use with the AR-18 (but are STANAG compatible). :)

Onmilo
November 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
I reslly like Brownells aluminum magazines and replaced all my other aluminum magazines with them.
I also own several P-mags and have had good luck with them too.

LeonCarr
November 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
Out of many AR-15s the Brownells or any REPUTABLE GI type aluminum mags have worked flawlessly for me, with no jams, tilting followers or any of that stuff.

What makes the PMAGs as good or better than the GI mags?

Just curious,
LeonCarr

MT GUNNY
November 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have Parsons Presition, FN, Labelle and Adventureline. All have worked flawlessly. I even replaced all the Followers to the Green ones that a Friend recomended.

Z-Michigan
November 10, 2009, 01:14 PM
USGI mags are cheap and work, with either the green GI follower or a Magpul follower. You can get them at Bravo Company for $9-10 each. Similar prices many other places.

The version of that design made by C Products has not been equally reliable in my experience.

Magpul Pmags work great.

CoRoMo
November 10, 2009, 01:53 PM
I like, and I have some USGI and Triple K, but the Pmags are my all time favorite. Come to think of it, I haven't even bought any metal ones at all, since I bought that first Magpul.

For me:

Value = USGI and Best = Pmag

Destructo6
November 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
I've had lots of trouble with the Brownells 30-rnd magazines. Seems like when they fail, they'll consitently double feed with two rounds in the mag.

Okay, Colt, and Pmags are at the top of my list. Pmags occupy the #1 spot.

wally
November 10, 2009, 02:46 PM
Never had any issue with any of my AR mags except for a couple of brand new ones first time out when the springs were "too strong". But then I've never tried a AR Pro-Mag :)

Loading and then stripping out the rounds (not in the gun for safety's sake) and loading again has always yielded good results on a virgin mag, but I don't bother with it much anymore as first use will always be at the range anyways.

I've never had to replace a follower or spring yet, although I've got some spares on hand as I've a fair number of 20 year old GI mags that were used when I got them and still going strong, they look like crap, but are what I go to if I thing a gun is having issues and I hope its mag related.

I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and prefer to spend money on ammo to shoot and verify function instead of spending money replacing parts than work in hopes it'll somehow be "better".

I shoot lots of Wolf ammo, the polymer coating has noticeably more friction than brass or lacquer coated rounds, if these feed, I don't worry about anything with that mag.

--wally.

Edit, I should mention if you name it I probably have at least one of them except for National, Triple-K or Pro-Mag. I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I think everyone one of the first time out "too strong spring" issues was with a steel body magazine, none has been an issue beyond the first session.

Avenger29
November 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
PMAGs and USGI aluminum mags (several makers) are good. PMAGs are my favorite and priced right.

The HK mags are not worth their high premium- they have issues.

1 more thing- don't get married to your mags. When they start malfing, toss them.

bcaill4
November 10, 2009, 02:59 PM
Has anyone tried the 40rd bushmaster mags?

strambo
November 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
Most seem to say Pmags are the best...I just picked up 10 for $8.95/per from DSA Arms. Other than that, I use USGI with Magpul followers, like to pay between $10-$12 per for those normally.

I'm Army, so pretty much all my experience is with USGI mags. I don't see a reason to cheaper ones when USGI can be had every day for $12 and on sale for less than $10, same for Pmags except normal retail is about $14 (no window)-$17 (window).

mljdeckard
November 10, 2009, 03:16 PM
Magpul Pmags. Or G.I. mags rebuilt with Magpul springs, followers, and floorplates. (That's what I did to my stack of ancient G.I. mags.)

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 03:20 PM
Has anyone tried the 40rd bushmaster mags?Have not tried those...but all other 40rnd mags that I have tried were junk, save for the original Sterling manufactured magazines.

:)

KAK
November 10, 2009, 03:21 PM
Pmag!!!!!!!!
Emag!!!!!!!!
Hk!!!!!!!!!!!!

EddieNFL
November 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
Everyone wants premium prices for them these days, but I have about 30 Colt 20 rounders I use for HP. Flawless so far.

possum
November 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
no more than 30rds for me, and normally loaded to 28 rounds.

pmags is what i use, and think are the best that money can buy, and the fact that they are barely more than GI mags, you can't go wrong.

No4Mk1*
November 10, 2009, 03:36 PM
D&H mags from 44mag.com are the least expensive of all "high quality" mags.

wally
November 10, 2009, 03:47 PM

I've got one, I recall it worked the one time I used it, but its unwieldy, never got any more.

Haven't thought about it in years, going shooting tomorrow to celebrate Veteran's Day if it don't rain. I'll throw it in the range bag and get back to y'all if it works again or not after sitting loaded at the bottom of a storage box for several years. Appears fully stuffed with Wolf Polymer coated FMJ.

--wally.

Pony Express
November 10, 2009, 04:00 PM
the only mags i've ever paid for were 20 round and 30 round pmags. i like the 20 rounders better because they dont stick out quite as much and i dont need those extra 10 rounds. I really like the non-tilt follower and how they dont scratch up the mag well

Maverick223
November 10, 2009, 07:58 PM
I really like the non-tilt follower and how they dont scratch up the mag wellWhy on earth do you care if the mag well is scratched? I have yet to see one that has been scratched all the way through. :uhoh:

:)

Steve in PA
November 10, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have about 20 USGI-style mags from places like Bushmaster, AR Stoner (Midway USA), C-Products and genuine USGI. All have had the followers replaced. All have worked flawlessly including the ones from C-Products.

wally
November 11, 2009, 08:51 PM
As I mentioned in post #22 I dug out my 40 round Bushmaster magazine that had sat loaded with Wolf ammo in the bottom of a storage box for several years and took it out with me today.

Fed all 40 rounds in my Ruger SR556, but it didn't lock back on the last shot. This was only the fourth mag run thru the gun. I shot four more different mags afterwards and one of these four also failed to lock back. Don't know what to make of it at this point.

So I know my 40 round Bushmaster AR mag has fed all 40 at least twice in two different ARs.

--wally.

RockyMtnTactical
November 11, 2009, 09:16 PM
I think PMAG's are the best out there for the money.

skwab
November 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
pmags - great value for money IMO.

RP88
November 12, 2009, 04:10 AM
I own and have run USGI aluminum/teflon mags by Bravo, D&H, Brownells, DI, and Colt surplus (usually steel body).

I popped in magpul enhanced followers and never had another mag problem since.

mrnkc130
November 12, 2009, 06:12 AM

I have one and have never had any issues with it...only shot maybe 4 times with it though..it is ofcourse a lot longer, kinda makes it look like an AK:D

Guns and more
November 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
I just bought 10 P-mags new for $95, free shipping. Do a Google search of P-Mag and see how they torture them. They drive over them with a pickup, and they still work. I'm sold.

wally
November 28, 2009, 06:46 PM
Follow-up:

Took the Bushmaster 40 round mag out shooting again today loaded with 40 rounds of Wolf 55gr FMJ. Shot the Ruger SR-556 again and all forty rounds fed fine and the mag locked back on the last shot this time. I've had no more failures to lock back with the SR-556 since its got past about 200 rounds.

I'm really liking how clean this SR-556 is staying, a bit over 500 rounds now and its still in no danger of needing cleaning despite having shot only Wolf and Monarch steel cased ammo.

So I'd say the Bushmaster 40 round mag is probably OK if you really want such a thing. I don't care for the way the gun handles with it, so that's why I have only one.

--wally.

HOLY DIVER
November 28, 2009, 07:12 PM
pmags are hard to beat! i've got a good many c-products mags and i've never had a issue with them....and i have a BUNCH of old colt mags i rebuilt with brownells rebuild kits they work great also

Boba Fett
November 28, 2009, 07:23 PM
PMAGS! Only way to go. Even better than the all steel mags from H&K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUFHEJFf-E

HorseSoldier
November 28, 2009, 07:47 PM
And yet another vote for PMags.

Avoid the HK steel mags. They definitely don't say anything positive about "German engineering," managing to be both heavier and less durable than USGI aluminum mags (and not much improvement in terms of reliability, even before the feed lips bend and the magazine starts misfeeding constantly). For the civilian shooter, they're ridiculously overpriced, to boot.

Boba Fett
November 28, 2009, 07:54 PM
If you have to have a steel magazine, these seem to be good and only $13:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/1-ar15-korean-milspec-stainless-maritime-30rd-mag/cName/ar15-accessories

I picked up one a while back and it worked just fine.

Not sure I'd say that USGI are better than the H&K mags. Per the videos I posted above, the H&K is at least slightly better in the durability department. And I've had more than one new USGI mag not fit in my AR-15. But they are certainly heavier.

It doesn't hurt to have a mix of magazines and to try out a few different types, just make sure they work in your AR.

That said, I've never had an issue with a PMAG and they are the majority of what I use and buy extra of. And as I recall, the PMAGs were the hardest to find several months ago during the "stockpiling" rush.

matrem
November 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
Own a couple dozen (and have a fair amount of experience with about 75) AR Stoners from Midway at right at $10. per.. 20s & 30s
Haven't had a FTF or FTE in any of them, do own one ("handed off to me") that doesn't drop as it should, but all have worked.
All of these were purchased over a year ago,and the "mill" has it they're no longer made by the same supplier?
Might be worth a look though.

wally
November 28, 2009, 08:11 PM
Read David Fortier's AR mag "Torture Test" article in the Nov 20 2009 Shotgun news. Pmags didn't do as well as the aluminum GI type mags from Brownells.

--wally.

CA2005
November 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
Pmags and Lancers...the GI mags are fine but in my opinion they are "2nd tier" now that we have Pmag and Lancer.

Avenger29
November 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
Read David Fortier's AR mag "Torture Test" article in the Nov 20 2009 Shotgun news. Pmags didn't do as well as the aluminum GI type mags from Brownells.

I'll take real world use with PMAGs vs. torture tests.

skwab
November 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
Another vote for the pmags - not a single issue with any of mine.

taliv
November 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
pmags are good stuff, but they're not magic. i've broken several of them.

RX-178
November 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
I say Pmags are probably the best for the money. They aren't THAT much more than USGI mags unless you've found a really good source of them.

If you want higher capacity than 30 rounds, you're going to quickly run low on options. Tripp Research magazines come in 42 and 52 round varieties, and they have a REALLY good reputation, but you can have 10 USGI 30 rounders for the price of one Tripp magazine.

Boba Fett
November 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
No mag is perfect, but some are more perfect than others.

How did you manage to break your PMAGs taliv? Just normal use or something catastrophic like barbecuing them?

Actually, that is a test I'm pretty sure the PMAG wouldn't pass. The steel and aluminum mags would probably survive better in a fire than the PMAGs would.

matrem
November 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
the GI mags are fine but in my opinion they are "2nd tier"
Please educate me.

taliv
November 28, 2009, 09:05 PM
Normal use; classes and matches and practice

Boba Fett
November 28, 2009, 09:08 PM
Normal use; classes and matches and practice
What broke on them?

Normal wear areas or something else?

Good to know what to expect to break/fail. Same with any mag, something will fail eventually.

cbrgator
November 28, 2009, 09:09 PM
For me, nothing compares to the PMAG.

Agent Smith
November 28, 2009, 09:40 PM
The following two mags work the best for me:

1) Pmags M-rev. Currently on sale for $9.95 here:

www.palmettostatearmory.com

2) BCM D&H mags with Magpul Enhanced Follower. These are excellent USGI mags.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm

Hope this helps.

taliv
November 28, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yep. I just bought 30 more pmags today from palmetto and I buy all my aluminum mags from bravo. I try to keep a 50/50 mix of d&h and pmags.

I mostly wish magpul would get off their butts and sell me some sr25 mags. Much as I love sending hard earned money to kac, I'm tired of paying >$100 for quality 308 mags

wally
November 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
Quote:
I'll take real world use with PMAGs vs. torture tests.

Did you actually read the article?

Dropped ~8.5' off the back of a truck onto the feed lips. PMAG broke, the "second tier" GI mag didn't. I've never had any issues with the GI mags. PMAGs would seem a slightly better choice if you plan to run over your mags with a truck, but the GI mags do better when dropped.

Don't know about you, but I'm far more likely to drop things than run them over with a truck!

GI mags have been in use for what, approaching 50 years now? How long have Pmags been on the market to "prove" their "real world" superiority?

--wally.

sprice
November 28, 2009, 11:42 PM
words of wisdom from wally...

Avenger29
November 29, 2009, 12:01 AM
Did you actually read the article?

Dropped ~8.5' off the back of a truck onto the feed lips. PMAG broke, the "second tier" GI mag didn't. I've never had any issues with the GI mags. PMAGs would seem a slightly better choice if you plan to run over your mags with a truck, but the GI mags do better when dropped.

Don't know about you, but I'm far more likely to drop things than run them over with a truck!

GI mags have been in use for what, approaching 50 years now? How long have Pmags been on the market to "prove" their "real world" superiority?

Yeah, I read the article. I saw the results. I also don't pay attention to the running over with truck that you mention test that's often heralded for the PMAG.

I'm referring to the durability of PMAGs in real use. Sure, some are still broken, as Taliv mentions, but for overall reliability and durability, PMAGs are very good...the PMAG would not have been developed if the aluminum mag did not have durability issues (especially the feed lips). Haven't had a chance to play with the TangoDown mags yet, but will pick up a couple if they arrive in my local shop.

By the way, this article is why I use PMAGs nearly exclusivly...http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312&highlight=PMAG

I have been very pleased with using PMAGs for my personal magazines.

nyresq
November 29, 2009, 01:43 AM
I have mostly all Pmags. I sold off almost all of my aluminum colts and only kept a few.

For the money, its hard to beat Pmags. $10 and they can be loaded with 30 rounds and loaded on a closed bolt. You can even push 31 rounds into them and leave them loaded for months (I had kept one loaded with 31 rounds with the top cover on for 9 months and it fed every round perfectly when I took it out to the range.

In my own personal experience (12 years working with Colt 30 round mags), most mags that have 30 rounds loaded dont lock in properly on a closed bolt. Pmags have no problem since they have enough room to actually load 31 or sometimes even 32 rounds.

gb0399
November 29, 2009, 01:53 AM
I dont know why Im even getting into this one but......

I have used colt factory mags, H&K, and P-mags.

PMag
I dont carry the Pmags because they do not come out of the double stack mag pouches well because the grooves on the sides pull the other mag out with the first, Though this wouldn't be an issue in a single mag pouch. I do use them on the range and they have worked fine, but thats under best case scenario.

Colt Factory mags
Work like a champ, no issues, just dont push the lips against a hard object when using the issue speed loader. AND their cheap, if they mess up trash em

H&K
Expensive and heavy, but... still my first choice. Some of my friends have said that they have had bad results with them but I have not and thats all I carry.

Boba Fett
November 29, 2009, 02:01 AM
Pmags have no problem since they have enough room to actually load 31 or sometimes even 32 rounds.

31 or 32?? :what:

You must really be compressing the spring or mine were made different than yours.

I can see 31 maybe. Have done it on mine, but didn't care for how much I had to compress it to get it in; like it really didn't want to go in. Can imagine trying 32.

More power to you if you can get 32 in :cool:

gb0399
November 29, 2009, 02:08 AM
Ive also seen guys put 31 in the pmag, but why would you do that? Thats asking for the mag to fail

nyresq
November 29, 2009, 02:08 AM
31 is easy, and if you push it will hold 32 but not a good idea, I wouldn't want to do that and leave it loaded for any length of time cause I think it would probably do bad things to the spring, but 30 is easy... 31 requires a good grip and a little more of a push, but 31 can be done with a standard 30 round pmag without breaking anything... and 31 rounds will lock into my AR. 32? no way, but 31 will lock in.

I load 30 in my pmags and 29 in the few aluminum colts I still have.

armsmaster270
November 29, 2009, 02:12 AM
I have USGI 20 round Colt magazines and a bunch of 30 round USGI Center Industries Aug 91 still in the plastic bag.

WoofersInc
November 29, 2009, 02:14 PM

I had this same discussion on another board. Just a quick question.
In what scenario would any of us drop a P-mag 8.5 feet onto the feed lips?
I can see dropping one out of the gun during a mag change, but that is still nowhere near 8.5 foot.
Granted this was a "torture" test, but real world usage is a better indicator.

Boba Fett
November 29, 2009, 02:21 PM
I had this same discussion on another board. Just a quick question.
I can see dropping one out of the gun during a mag change, but that is still nowhere near 8.5 foot.
True...but there aren't many scenarios where you drive over the mags with trucks either.

Avenger29's link (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...highlight=PMAG) sums up the reasons I like the PMAG.

And as the guy in the link said, there are occasions where through simple handling the magazines get dropped on the feedlips.

Again, magazines are not indestructible, and all are prone to various failures. PMAGs just seem to be the current best of what's out there. Having purchased my share of USGI mags and having them fail or not work from the factory, I prefer the PMAGs which have given me no issues.

If USGI mags work for you, keep using them. If H&K mags are good for you, buy up 100. I'll keep using the PMAGs.

Justin
November 29, 2009, 02:23 PM
For higher-than-30-round capacity, the Tripp Research Cobramags do well. The 42 round magazine I've got runs solidly enough that it's one of my main match magazines. The 52-rounder is slightly less reliable, and I haven't had the time to test to see if the magazine just needs to break in, or what.

Other than that, I run a mix of 20 and 30-round USGI magazines with Magpul followers in them, and PMAGs. I think the biggest advantage the PMAGs have over the USGI ones are style.

gb0399
November 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
I have found that putting the mag pull rubber loops on the bottom of any magazine will give it protection when doing mag changes, especially when on a concrete pad or gravel.

Avenger29
November 29, 2009, 06:49 PM
Loading more than 30 rounds in a 30 round PMAG can be done, but not a good idea at all.

wally
November 30, 2009, 09:44 AM

Murphy's Law, in what scenario would any of us drop a slice of pizza :)

I can see dropping one out of the gun during a mag change, but that is still nowhere near 8.5 foot. Sure its contrived, but climbing over things, getting in out of transports, etc. Lots of folks worry about the original 1911 lacking a firing pin block even though it need to be dropped from an even less reasonable height to discharge.

My main point, GI mags have had real world use for approaching 50 years, how long have PMAGs been available? I'm still using GI mags that are over 20 years old, and I got them used.

My Ruger SR-556 came with PMAGs, they seem to work, but so do my old GI mags, the stacking of Pmags in pouches can be a negative.

You can load 31 rounds into a PMAG because there is a little extra space in the mag for the lid to press down and "remove pressure from the feedlips". Either this a solution to a non-problem or the plastic feed lips ain't all they are cracked up to be. I've forgetten about GI mags that have sat loaded in the back of the safe for 7+ years and they shot just fine.

--wally.

Avenger29
November 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
You can load 31 rounds into a PMAG because there is a little extra space in the mag for the lid to press down and "remove pressure from the feedlips". Either this a solution to a non-problem or the plastic feed lips ain't all they are cracked up to be. I've forgetten about GI mags that have sat loaded in the back of the safe for 7+ years and they shot just fine.

The lid was intended early on as a device to remove pressure from the feedlips. Early on, Magpul was worried that the lips weren't going to be as good as they had hoped. However, testing has proved the lips to be more than durable enough, and so the cover is completely unnecessary for its intended purpose. It is nice to have a dust cover, though, if you worry about such things and to keep dust out. Personally, my mags either live in my chest harness or in a sealed ammo can, so I don't use the covers.

kwelz
November 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mags are a consumable unlike the firearm you use them in. I trust PMags far more than USGI and test after test have proven they are more durable in every way. Cracked, broken, and even SHOT they will still work.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!