Convince me not to buy a Hi-Point 995 TS.

PDA

Hammerhead6814
November 11, 2009, 02:13 AM
I keep seeing those things for around $250. I got a card from one guy at this past weekends RKShow who was offering them for just $220!

At that price it's hard to not want to buy one. I really need the money to work on my idea for a re-work of an AK bullpup's trigger, but part of me just wants to throw that on the back-burner and get a Hi-Point. Boy that felt weird to say out loud.

The only reason I can see NOT to get one is that it's a rifle without a purpose. There isn't a nitch it fills save to blast away at the range. Is there any other reason NOT to own one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Convince me not to buy a Hi-Point 995 TS." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TimM
November 11, 2009, 02:54 AM
They are ugly ugly ugly. There, that is 3 reasons. ;)

OkieOFT
November 11, 2009, 03:59 AM
I can't give you any reasons not to buy one...But I can supply a few TO buy one!

1. New stock looks great!
2. Shoots like a wet dream. Mine has digested 1000 rounds of pretty much every kind of 9mm I can find, JHP's, FMJ's...It eats everything. I had my first jam yesterday, and it was my fault. I'd very easily trust my life to this little rifle, and I do.
3. Plenty of aftermarket toys if you are into that kind of thing
4. Great for varmint hunting, or to keep in your truck. It certainly has more used than just range shooting.
5. Lifetime warranty, and if the factory releases an update to a part they will send it to you or you can ship it back and they will install it for free. The only thing i've seen them charge for is the new stock, which to retrofit a Classic model is $40. If you have to send it in for service they almost always include a free magazine.
6. Dirt Cheap! Any brand new rifle under $300 that is as fun to shoot as the Hi Point is worth every penny. I'd own one of every kind if my wife would let me!

KAK
November 11, 2009, 04:24 AM
Its a hi-point... just dont buy it. :uhoh:

rondog
November 11, 2009, 04:35 AM
Oh come on, if you don't actually own a High-Point, or have never actually owned one, then STFU and stop bashing them. Don't spew hate against them if you don't have anything to back it up with other than heresay. I own two HP carbines, and they're an absolute blast to plink with! Very reliable and deadly accurate. Who cares if they're ugly, they work.

KAK
November 11, 2009, 04:41 AM
Try the Kel-Tec

Mp7
November 11, 2009, 04:42 AM
as a range toy, as well as for truck-gun or selfdefense i think
this is a cheap, but formidable weapon.

Canīt afford a Beretta C4 ... or the H&K UMP Carbine?
Get the HP.

rondog
November 11, 2009, 04:55 AM
Try the Kel-Tec

I'm sure those are dandies. But are they in the same price range as the HP? That's what this thread and the original question is about, the new HP carbines. FWIW, I like the old style HP carbines better.

OkieOFT
November 11, 2009, 05:47 AM
Its a hi-point... just dont buy it. :uhoh:
Have you ever owned one, let alone shot one? If not, then you have no right to say a single negative thing about Hi Point. My 995 Classic is one of the best things I have bought in years. The Kel-Tec is far uglier than any Hi Point will ever be. I don't understand how anyone can say the Kel-Tec is a better looking gun than the 995.

I can't honestly find a single problem with mine...But I guess if gun snobs want to piss their money into the wind just for a brand name, thats your own problem, not mine. I'll just enjoy having a fatter bank accout and a gun that is just as accurate, reliable and useful as one costing hundreds more.

Handgunner
November 11, 2009, 06:40 AM

Why?

They are cheap and fun. :D

frankiestoys
November 11, 2009, 08:10 AM
I just purchased this one about a month ago. I havent fired it yet. For a long time i was unsure if i wanted one. Then the new TS model came out . I did alot of internet
searching and the only bad stuff i heard was about the stock.
Well i like the way this one looks so i bought it, i hope im not dissapointed at the range
but again from the reports i think it will be fine.

khegglie
November 11, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hae the Kel Tec and the classic 995; BOTH are good for what they are... carbine psitol caliber utility tools.

The 995 is great, ugly, accurate, reliable, I would get another one!........ most people seem to want more mag capacity. The factory mags are hard to load because of the weird feed lips.

The Kel Tec can fold and fit in a brief case. The stock is not as comfortable a the 995!. The Kel Tec allows you to have a 17-33 round Glock carbine.

SO GET BOTH :cool:

foghornl
November 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Don't own any Hi-Points, but have shot most if not all of their offerings at some time over the years.

Pig-Butt-Stuck-In-A-Mud-Fence ugly?? Oh, yeah!

Goes Bang! everytime, or Hi-Point fixes it free. Puts the lead where you aim. For sub-$300 carbines and sub-$200 handguns, what else can you ask?

MJR007
November 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
Saiga is just a little more

dispatch55126
November 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
The only reasons to not buy one is:

1. They're step-child ugly
2. Other people say don't buy it without giving any reason other than its ugly
3. Its pistol caliber

That said, the ugliness will grow on you plus you can grin when people give you odd looks at the range when you pull it out of the case knowing it'll probably shoot just as good as any other semi up to 50 yards.

Its hard to buy one if there are numerous people saying they're terrible but as I said, very, very few people have anything to back that claim up. Its a $250, pistol caliber semi. To get that price, something has to be cut and in the case of the HP, its the looks.

As far as being a pistol caliber, next to .22lr and some east bloc surplus, its about the cheapest thing you can shoot.

indie
November 11, 2009, 06:31 PM
saiga is just a little more is the best argument.

but they are great little guns. I had a classic 995, and I was going to get a TS model but went with a saiga instead.

Col. Plink
November 11, 2009, 09:15 PM
Or you can trade a bunch of ammo for one in .40s&w like I did!! YEAH!

Don't cost nothin', who cares what it looks like? Just get the 40...

Quoheleth
November 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
Will these shoot cast lead bullets?

Q

KAK
November 12, 2009, 12:43 AM
I dont waste my money on crap when I can save it for something Ill like better. That goes for everything not just guns, but especially fishing equipment.

Big Matt
November 12, 2009, 03:42 AM
I don't think it's ugly. It's certainly much better looking than the previous similar hi point offering that looked like something out of Star Wars.

OkieOFT
November 12, 2009, 05:01 AM
I like my cheap little Hi Point better than some $2000 AR's i've shot. The 995 is worth every penny you pay for it, and in my opinion, much more. Just because someone drops a huge wad of cash on something does not make it more enjoyable.

t165
November 12, 2009, 07:01 AM
I owned a 995 Hi-Point. I have nothing "Bad" to say about the firearm. It functioned fine. I did trade it off and purchased a used Kel-Tec, Glock handled, Sub-9. One of the original Kel-Tecs with the aluminum reciever instead of the plastic one. The kel-Tec has been a great firearm and I use it as my home defense weapon...I like that it folds. If the Hi-Point 995 had been made with Beretta, S&W, or Glock hi-cap compatible grips then I would have kept it. If Hi-Point would just modify the grip to accommodate other firearm manufacturers hi-cap magazines then I would buy stock in the company. This would make the Hi-Point 995 much more popular in my humble opinion.

t165
November 12, 2009, 07:30 AM
I just had another thought. Can you imagine if Hi-Point would modify the 995 to fire the .357 and .44 magnum cartridges? And the 45LC cartridge. Make it with a detachable carry handle so one could scope it. That would be a dandy affordable woods carbine for hunting deer sized game on down. Here in Indiana the legislature passed hunting laws which enable us to use pistol cartridges on deer. New 357 magnum, 44 magnum, 45LC/454 Casull carbines are very hard to come by. They also will run you $500.00 plus. The 995 would be cheaper and with the flat rail it should be easy to scope. I would definately buy one. It would fill a niche no other rifle can currently do. I'm not going to buy a AR 458 Socom just to hunt deer with in Indiana...even though I know some who have. I think Hi-Point would make a fortune. The 995 should easily be able to handle the pressure of both the 357 and 44 magnum handgun cartridges. More and more individuals are hunting with EBRs and the 995 would suddenly be a bad little mofo in the 44 magnum.

Bad Penny 03
November 12, 2009, 02:20 PM

Wow, for a minute there I thought you said "Hi-Point."

Must have been a bad dream.

XD9GUY
November 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
After it's all said and done, the only thing really bad about them is the looks. Like something out of "Planet of the Apes". The new stocks however, have a lot better look about them. A friend of my son in law had one with the new stock. He said it shot great and was fun to shoot at the range and used it for home defense. If you get one I wouldn't pay more than $200 - $250 max. I saw 3 or 4 at the last gun show for $200 and I have heard of several being bought for $175 or so. I recommend doing some negotiating if you buy one. I bet you can find one at a gun show or a flea market cheap.

winknplink
November 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
I dont waste my money on crap when I can save it for something Ill like better. That goes for everything not just guns, but especially fishing equipment.

Again, what experience can you give to support your claim? It's not a tough question. Just answer it. I paid for an HK p2000 that was a huge POS. Explain that.

BTW, judging by the attitude you display here, I'll bet you still can't catch fish and blame it on the equipment. You seem like that type...which is probably why you are the only person in this thread poo-pooing on the hi-point.

Maybe it's you. Ever consider that?

kingvillien
November 15, 2009, 12:21 AM
I have one, don't waste your money. It was cool for about 2 months, till the dust cover broke off when I was shooting it!!! The dust cover supports the front sight so that is a big problem. If you want something that looks cool/scary just get an airsoft gun and paint the tip black. An airsoft gun is about as useful as a Hi point. The only good thing about the hi points are that they have a lifetime warranty.

CZ223
November 15, 2009, 08:33 PM
which I am not, I own Taurus, Olympic and, Saiga guns along with Rugers, Glocks and Savages, I would not buy any Hi-point. I say this because while I have not owned one I have had the chance to handle and, attempt to fire one. I say attempt because, while it did go off occassionaly, it jammed as often. I couldn't get through a magazine without it jamming nor could the owner. I do not care that it is ugly, hell I own several Glocks and a Saiga. I do care that any gun I own must be reliable. I have sold many much more expensive guns because they failed to meet this criteria. I also don't have anything against "value priced guns" either. While I do not currently own a Kel-Tech pistol or rifle,it is only a matter of time till I do. I know several people who own their pistols and swear by them. Their rifle that take Glock mags look cheap but are apparently reliable. I like th idea of a carbine that takes Glock mags so I will eventually own one.

So, if you want a value priced rifle ina pistol caliber buy a Kel-tec. If you want a value priced rifle ina rifle caliber buy a Saiga. I love mine.:D

sarduy
November 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
i'm going to play.

DONT BUY IT!

unless you want to pass on a great offer like that. hi point carbines are great rifles for the money. and if you use the factory mags they will run just perfect. plus if anything happen to it, they have a life time warranty. it's a win win situation.

plus they can be better looking.

http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/30677/2962691780095461090S425x425Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2962691780095461090cdDPMD)

rondog
November 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
I have one, don't waste your money. It was cool for about 2 months, till the dust cover broke off when I was shooting it!!! The dust cover supports the front sight so that is a big problem. If you want something that looks cool/scary just get an airsoft gun and paint the tip black. An airsoft gun is about as useful as a Hi point. The only good thing about the hi points are that they have a lifetime warranty.

Well? Did you utilize that warranty when yours broke? If not, why not? If you did and they fixed/replaced it, what are you complaining about?

Jguy101
November 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
I say this because while I have not owned one I have had the chance to handle and, attempt to fire one. I say attempt because, while it did go off occassionaly, it jammed as often. I couldn't get through a magazine without it jamming nor could the owner. I do not care that it is ugly, hell I own several Glocks and a Saiga. I do care that any gun I own must be reliable.Were you by chance using one of the ProMag 15-round magazines?

CZ223
November 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
I really don't know what brand mags they were. I do know that it was 9mm and it malfunctioned with the three mags he had on hand. I also know that no matter how good a warranty is or the gun manufacturers customer service is it won't help me in the middle of a gun fight. I did, however, misspeak before when I said that I would never buy one. I would buy one when the positives outway the negatives and right now they don't. Just so you know, this thread did get me thinking about the Kel-Tec sub 2000 to the point that I think I will order one for my Christmas present.:evil:

RX-178
November 16, 2009, 01:04 AM
Umm.... not to buy a Hi Point 995 TS...

Okay. The Kel-Tec 9mm is a superior weapon, and has additional features that I find useful. It folds into a much more compact package, it uses common pistol magazines, including reliable 33rd Glock magazines.

......Really. That's all I got. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Hi Point carbine, especially since Hi Point will service and replace their product no questions asked. Can't beat that kind of customer service, you just can't. In my opinion, at this point in time, the only reason you would pay more than the price of a Hi Point for a pistol caliber carbine, is for extra features.

SniperStraz
November 16, 2009, 01:17 AM
I have heard mostly good reviews but I'm not sure I can buy weapon from a company that doesn't even know what the parts of the gun are called.

From Hi-Point's website:

Additionally, both Hi-Point carbine models feature:
All-weather, black or camo polymer stock
Sling, swivels and scope base included
10-shot magazine
Grip mounted clip release
Quick on/off thumb safety
FREE trigger lock
Rear peep sight
32 ―" OAL - 7 lbs.
Fully adjustable sights, with "Ghost Ring" rear sight and front post
Scope base to allow mounting of a regular rifle scope or red dot scope
Operations & safety sheet
100% American parts & assembly

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/hi_point_carbines.html

JTH
November 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
Enjoy the pissing contest here about the Hi-Point 995. If you have the money you'd buy all high end weapons. The SKS used to be well under a $100 before and around 1990. The SKS is a low end rifle and really not a very pretty rifle. Beauty is in the eye of the owner. Now that they are gone many wish they'd of bought one or 10. If you buy a Hi-Point and don't like it that much sell it or trade it, can't beat the warranty. When they first came out I was able to buy a new one for $125. My only logic was, I have a 9mm Tokarev pistol and Hi-Point offered this carbine in a 9mm model. Price was inexpensive and I had 1500 rnds of 9mm ammo. Yes it's ugly and I may send it to Hi-Point for the new stock. Most people buy what they can afford. Now I want an AK Draco pistol, since I have 2,000 rnds of 7.62x39 ammo and plan on purchasing more.

Titan6
November 16, 2009, 05:50 PM

Every time someone buys a HiPoint they kill a kitten.

frankiestoys
November 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
Every time you someone buys a HiPoint they kill a kitten.
Thats not funny!

rondog
November 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
I like my High Point carbines, and I like my Lee Classic Turret Press. What can I say, they all work good for me. Guess I'm a commie, but the KoolAid tastes good.

f4t9r
November 16, 2009, 07:23 PM
only way to convince you not to is for you send all your money to me, then you will not be able to afford one !!
just send me a post I will give the info on where your money should be sent. Thanks

Azul
November 16, 2009, 09:15 PM
I love my Hi-Point 995. It's a handy little gun. Only malfunctions I've ever had with mine were mag related. Tossed the mag, and it's been smooth sailing since. Accurate enough for what it is, and fun to shoot. Good deal.

Badlander
November 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have not had A high point or A pet skunk. I'm sure I wouldn't own either.

Pony Express
November 16, 2009, 10:35 PM
it's a rifle without a purpose
I think thats reason enough. Save your money to buy a rifle with a purpose or ammo for your current rifles.
Thats what I'd do.

frankiestoys
November 23, 2009, 05:41 PM
You know i went to the range the other day to try out my little Hi Point
before even taking out of the case the range manager who happened to be a
Palm Beach Sheriff asked me what i was shooting today, i explained that i was there for a AR vs Mini 14 challenge from the HR forum but brought along this new gun, i was a little reluctant to say '' its a Hi Point'' .:o
After tellling him ,i asked him what he thought.
''There fun little guns '' He said & that his department has them ,and that for the money ''you can't beat them ''.:neener:
I had only one jam in 200 rounds & im not sure if it was the very cheap reload ammo i had or the gun ,just breaking itself in.
All in all the gun fired fine, my only complaint is the large sites are a little tricky to get right.
He also noted that he thought the mini was a fine rifle and was impressed
with mine's performance. :)

c5_nc
November 23, 2009, 10:35 PM
I owned 2 995s up until a couple months ago. They where nice reliable guns. I put one for sale and ended up having so many people call I sold both of mine (for $250 each), they were $125 used and $199 new! Any way unless there is a smoking deal used, I would go the route I did, I bought a Keltec sub2000 for $299. Folds up and takes 33rd mags. Low cap mags are the big weakness of the hi-points. I'll probably end up with another one eventually, but it would have to be a deal.

rondog
November 24, 2009, 02:15 AM
People just don't realize that the best reason to own a HP carbine is because they're fun little plinkers! They're not meant for defensive or combat use, or precision target shooting, they're for busting up cans full of water, clays, golf balls, etc., and they're very good at it!

Of course better-quality guns are the thing to own, but don't discount the fun you can have with a sub-$200 toy! Any kid can tell you that not all the great toys are expensive ones.

mcdonl
November 24, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ok... here is my opinion. I like to shoot, could care less what I shoot because I shoot for fun... and... get this... I am on a budget. Not rich.

I wanted a "large" caliber Semi-Auto pistol, "large" caliber revolver, .22 S/A revolver, .22 semi rifle, AR variant, CCW semi, shotgun and plinker.

I will get the shotty and 22 rifle out of the list, as I purchased a Ruger 10/22 despite the fact I could have gotten one cheaper, but I wanted to be able to have fun with it and change things up some. Same with the shotty, so I went with a Mossberg 500a.

The rest of the guns I shopped around and considered cost FIRST AND FOREMOST... I shoot for fun, I can afford to do that. I am not an LEO, soldier or preparing for battle. I put holes in paper. And, I COULD CARE LESS what people think about what brand I shoot... given that, and using today's gun broker costs (11/24/09) I came up with the following options for filling my needs. I will tell you now, that I own all of the items in the first list and none in the second list...

List number 1 - Cost consideration

AR/AK - In my case, I have a Norinco SKS... ($250)

S/A .22 Revolver - In my case, I purchased a 9" Heritage Rough Rider with a 9" barrel. ($135)

Large Caliber Semi - I did not know what I wanted so I purchased an HPC9 AND a Norinco L213 both of these cost me around $175, but I will go high and say $200 ($200)

Large Caliber Revolver - I have a S/S Taurus (I know, many think they are junk...) and the GB price is $369 ($369)

CCW - I went with a Keltec P3AT for $265. GB Price today is the same($265)

Grand total to fill the above needs - $1219 I paid less, as I purchased locally and did some trading, but these are based on Today's GB prices...

List number 2 - "Best of Breed" or "Standard Purchase"

AR/AK - I put in a search for "DPMS AR-15" knowing it would be cheaper. I also realize many who say do not buy the 995 will say DPMS are junk too, but I wanted to be fair.... ($900)

S/A .22 Revolver - Ruger does not make a 9", so this is based on the 6" standard model. ($325)

Large Caliber Semi - Again, not sure what to compare the Norinco L213 to so I searched for a "Taurus 9mm 1911" I know this is skewed, but I was not sure what else to search for ($800)

Large Caliber Revolver - I searched for S/S Smith and the GB price for a 4" S/S revolver is $780 ($780)

CCW - I searched for the Ruger LCP GB Price today is the same ($337)

Grand total to fill the above needs - $3142 again.... these are based on Today's GB prices...

In my opinion, and in my experience the guns in List #1 shoot just as well as the guns in list #2. Do I get other gun snobs drooling over my guns? No, that is what my targets are for. Do I give a crap? No.

So, I cannot give you one reason not to by a 995 but there are many reasons (All of them green with ex-presidents on them) TO buy one. Happy shooting.

Have fun!!

howlingwolf
November 24, 2009, 10:30 PM
"I'd own one of every kind if my wife would let me!" Me too (Except the .380. Why buy concealed carry caliber when it's too big and too heavy for a pocket? I'll be buyin the .45 for my 45th next May.)
"They're step-child ugly" I laugh out loud every time I read this.

howlingwolf
November 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
"The 995 should easily be able to handle the pressure of both the 357 and 44 magnum handgun cartridges." Or you could load up the .40short&weak model with Corbon Glazer Safety slugs. The 140 grain DPX, the 135 grain JHP, and the 135 grain Pow'Rball all seem equally lethal at http://www.gelatininnovations.com/pages/ballistic.html (I hope they keep this beautiful video up. I've only watched it two dozen times. I want to watch it at least two dozen more.)

(Do unto others what you would have done unto you.)

howlingwolf
November 24, 2009, 11:18 PM
"Were you by chance using one of the ProMag 15-round magazines?" These are infamous for their unreliability. Know that using the larger sized magazines increases the chance of jamming. I would stick to the smallest sized magazine for either the 995 or the compact pistol.

howlingwolf
November 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
"Every time someone buys a HiPoint they kill a kitten." LOL

JTH
November 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
I purchased one when they first came out NIB for $125. I have a 9mm Tokarev pistol, so having about 1500 rnds of 9mm ammo, I decided why not?
I'd like to send it back for the TS stock when they have them. No complaints so far, was skeptical about the plastic trigger though!

Geno
November 25, 2009, 09:45 AM
I bought my own for in-close varmint hunting. We get woodchucks around the sheds and barn up on the family farm. In 9mm Luger, if has far more punch and frontal surface than a .22LR. It has less risk of ricochet than a .223 Rem. Mine will keep 10 shots touching at 25 yards, and so it really fits the bill. I paid around $169.00 NIB for mine about 2 years ago. They are good carbines and fun.

Geno

howlingwolf
November 25, 2009, 03:01 PM

howlingwolf
November 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
You can also plink in indoor ranges, with 9mm and .40s&w.

howlingwolf
November 26, 2009, 01:46 AM
In fact, at Bulls Eye indoor range in Tacoma, they have, like five 995 up on the wall to rent. My first shot was one with their red dot scope. Thing was gentle as a lamb to shoot. Boy it was fun. I bought one just couple of days later.

howlingwolf
November 26, 2009, 01:47 AM
The 995, not the red dot. That's still on my list.

bcroswell
November 26, 2009, 02:30 AM
I purchased one when they first came out NIB for $125. I have a 9mm Tokarev pistol, so having about 1500 rnds of 9mm ammo, I decided why not?
I'd like to send it back for the TS stock when they have them. No complaints so far, was skeptical about the plastic trigger though!
I believe you can order the new stocks from them for $40 now.

Zach S
November 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
Two reasons not to buy one:

1) UGLY! Not UGLY with a capital U, but UGLY in all caps!
2) The actual scope of use for a PCC is very narrow.

That being said, every time someone mentions a Hi-Point Carbine I still find myself surprised by the fact I don't own one...

If you enjoyed reading about "Convince me not to buy a Hi-Point 995 TS." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!