savage heavy barrel

PDA

bigred94
November 11, 2009, 08:06 AM
hi everyone, i am new to this fourm. i have look for my question everywhere but can not find it. i have a savage 112 with a stainless steel heavy barrel 308 win. it is has 5/8-24" threads on it now. i want a muzzle break for it but can not find anything. does anybody know of one? HELP!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "savage heavy barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
November 11, 2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe give Savage a shout on Thursday, they offer one on one of the 10FP models:)

Jim Watson
November 11, 2009, 08:37 AM
The factory part would be the simplest, but Brownells has a wide selection of muzzle brakes. Most require gunsmith installation because the hole has to be reamed to .020" over bullet diameter well aligned with the bore.
www.brownells.com

dubbleA
November 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Most require gunsmith installation because the hole has to be reamed to .020" over bullet diameter well aligned with the bore.

Not only that, most the "gill" type brakes will need timing so that the ports are indexed properly.This type will direct gases/blast to the side only. Timing can be done with facing the brake off or with the use of peel/crush washers or with a pinchbolt clamp. The Tubb brake uses a jam nut to index. The Badger Thruster needs to be machined while the Badger FTE uses a clamp.

The brakes with holes completely around them do not need timing but are unfriendly when shooting prone due to the blast being directing in every direction.

Both styles will help with reducing recoil and muzzle jump, it depends on what type of shooting you do.

If you enjoyed reading about "savage heavy barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!