Quick SKS question

PDA

Socmedic27
November 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
I came across an SKS for sale and it seems like a good deal but I don't know a whole lot about them or their value. He is willing to let it go for 280, here is a pic of everything that comes with it, would appreciate any advice/input. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick SKS question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
YaNi
November 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
Where is it from? I'm assuming it's not Russian for $280.

Col. Plink
November 11, 2009, 10:40 AM
Looks like a Yugo(?), with the extra stock/bipod, mags, if the bore and barrel are good you've got a pretty nice deal cookin' there. You may have compliance issues with those mags (but not when used with the synthetic stock perhaps) and if you have to convert at least you'd be able to cut that dang grenade launcher off there!

Socmedic27
November 11, 2009, 10:40 AM
According to him it is Yugoslavian

PT1911
November 11, 2009, 10:44 AM
I like the yugos and the grenade launcher.

RevolvingGarbage
November 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
If its a functional yugo, and the bore isnt destroyed, JUMP ON THAT!

Socmedic27
November 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
As a side question, Can anyone help with what all needs to be on the bill of sale? Serial No., date, price, both parties names anything else?

bang_bang
November 11, 2009, 02:44 PM
Check the bore first...if it's not pitted too bad then I would probably jump on it. Also, check the gas valve for pitting.

Does it come with the original hinged magazine? Those can be a pain to track down if you were to purchase a rifle without one....

Rshooter
November 11, 2009, 03:40 PM
Bang, Bang's answer is the correct answer.

You might get away with the 30 round magazines and the aftermarket stock on the weapon for 10 years but you might not. You need to check the weapon against USC 922 to ensure that is legal with those parts.

Al Thompson
November 11, 2009, 05:04 PM
If those magazines work 100%, they will be the first two I've ever seen. :rolleyes: Agree that you need to check the rifle for functioning first - some Yugos had problems with the gas valve rusting out.

For a bill of sale, just outline the specifics of what got transferred and some means of positive ID - driver's license numbers would be fine - for both parties.

Glockman17366
November 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
That's modified from a fixed box magazine to "detachable" duckbill mags, so it isn't an original rifle. Any collector value (not that SKS rifles are particularly collectable) is gone...
As Al Thompson wrote, those duckbill mags never had a reputation for reliability (if I recall, "jam-o-matic" was the description).
So, I'd say you're looking at a rifle worth between $150-$200, at best.

okespe04
November 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
Does he have the original fixed mag? If so it may be a pretty good deal. I got mine for $79 but those days are long over.

Glockman17366
November 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
Does he have the original fixed mag? If so it may be a pretty good deal. I got mine for $79 but those days are long over.

That will work if the mag well was'nt buggered up to make the duckbills work.

Hammerhead6814
November 11, 2009, 08:52 PM
A Yugo for $280?! Even with the aftermarket stock, you could normally find a Yugo for around $200. $200+ is normally reserved for Chinese, with $300-$500 being a Russian.

Albanians, well if you can find them you better buy one. Your one in a million who's been looking.

Ohio Gun Guy
November 11, 2009, 10:28 PM
ask if the original fixed magazine is included.

greyling22
November 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
figure 220 or so for a good condition yugo, maybe 50 for an aftermarket stock, I've yet to see a harris (or clone) bipod for less than 20, the mags maybe $10 a pop, and 5 bucks worth of ammo if that mag is full. if the gun is in good shape and that is 280 out the door it's not a bad buy. if you want an sks. or for 280 you're 45% of the way to an AR.

Ignition Override
November 12, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hammerhead:
A private seller last spring at a Memphis gun show had either an Albanian or Romanian SKS for sale. At the same show a guy had two nice Russians listed for about $425.

Did not notice it at our Sept. show, but I was focused on an LE Jungle Carbine etc.
If one is seen at the Jackson, TN show Saturday, could try to get the seller's cell phone number. You want me to look for an Albie?

Average Joe
November 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
In original condition in my area they are going for around $ 280. I see this comes with after market mags, and stock. I would not take it without the original 10 round mag. Those after market mags could be a real pain. This rifle in the picture is in fact a Yugo, minus the bayonet.

Socmedic27
November 12, 2009, 09:21 PM
Whats the best or easiest way to determine wether the make is Yugo, chinese, russian, etc.?

M2
November 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
The side of the receiver cover.

And...

http://www.sksboards.com/

Socmedic27
November 16, 2009, 09:46 PM
So I have come across an Albanian SKS still covered in the cosmoline for 400? Should I jump on it?

bang_bang
November 16, 2009, 10:13 PM
So I have come across an Albanian SKS still covered in the cosmoline for 400? Should I jump on it?

I would.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick SKS question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!