AR-15 magwell for Mini-14?

PDA

VirgilCaine
November 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
A random thought occurred to me the other day. Is there any way to modify a Mini-14 to take AR mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 magwell for Mini-14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
Not really.

Oh, I suppose somebody somewhere has done it.
But it wouldn't be easy or cheap.

Totally different locking system and mag support would need to be added to the trigger-guard assembly..

rc

carbine85
November 11, 2009, 05:11 PM
I looked at that about 2 years ago. I'm sure it can be done but it would take a lot of work. If had the extra time and parts to play with I would try it. I was actually looking at coping the AR180 Mag well and using the AR15 Mag release.

X-Rap
November 11, 2009, 05:26 PM
With the added expense then one could have an inaccurate gun and lots of cheap mags to prove it for more $ than the AR.
I don't know why Ruger hasn't retooled and made one already, if it was stock then it would make sense dollar wise.

mljdeckard
November 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
It might be a step Ruger could take if they wanted to get serious about digging into the AR market. I guess they just decided it was easier to sell an AR like everyone else.

Candiru
November 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
AR mags are too wide for the Mini-14 receiver. If you made the receiver wide enough to handle AR magazines, it would end up putting a lot more angular force on the bolt via the op-rod.

Good thing I prefer the rock-and-lock magazine style anyway.

VirgilCaine
November 12, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks, all!

ArmedBear
November 12, 2009, 06:18 PM
Also, an AR locks open when there's no mag or no round in the magazine. It closes when it engages a round in the magazine.

A Mini-14 closes unless it engages a tab on the follower, so it only locks open when the magazine is inserted, but empty.

The conversion would involve more than just the magwell.

Shear_stress
November 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
Also, an AR locks open when there's no mag or no round in the magazine.

An AR will lock open on an empty magazine or if the shooter manually engages the BHO. Otherwise it will not.

1KPerDay
November 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Same as the Mini in that regard. There's a manual BHO on the mini if you didn't know, AmedBear.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 magwell for Mini-14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!