El Rojo found an nice upper. Now what size scope rings and other questions?

PDA

El Rojo
November 6, 2003, 08:03 PM
http://www.phoric.com/upper.jpg
I got this upper from the AR15.com equipment exchange. I think I did rather good on the deal myself. It is a Bushmaster 20" V-Match fluted with free float tube, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, bolt carrier, and charging handle. I got it shipped to my door for $450! The previous owner said he had about 100 rounds through it. These babies new from Bushmaster are $625 before shipping!

I expect my FFL to get a hold of me soon and let me know how much my FAB-10 is going to run. I figure it shouldn't be anywhere over $200, should be much less since it is a stripped lower. I did get a A2 buttstock with hardware off of the AR15.com equipment exchange for $25 shipped, but I still need the buffer spring, buffer tube, and buffer. I also need to get a lower, parts set. I think the best prices overall that I have seen for AR parts is http://www.georgiaprecision.com/. The only thing is they don't say what their parts are. Really Rock River Arms has pretty good prices on their lower parts that I need. If anyone else can point me elsewhere that would be great.

Now, I need to know what height rings I ought to get for my flat top. I am getting a Leupold VX1 4-12x40mm. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want dirt cheap rings.

And if I have anymore questions I will probably post them here. I am getting excited.

If you enjoyed reading about "El Rojo found an nice upper. Now what size scope rings and other questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kamicosmos
November 7, 2003, 02:16 AM
I use Millet High Rise rings on my Varminter. They were like 30 bucks or something from natchez or midway. They come in three heights: low, medium and high.

Mine are also on the Bushmaster mini-risers. Need that height to clear my 50mm scope...

Have fun building your AR!

clown714
November 7, 2003, 08:28 AM
something don't seem right.
correct me if i'm wrong.

first,i thought those evil black rifles weren't allowed in CA.

second,that's a pre-ban upper,doesn't it have to go on a pre-ban
lower?

just a couple questions from the peanut gallery;)

clown

ny32182
November 7, 2003, 08:42 AM
something don't seem right.
correct me if i'm wrong.

first,i thought those evil black rifles weren't allowed in CA.

second,that's a pre-ban upper,doesn't it have to go on a pre-ban
lower?

just a couple questions from the peanut gallery

A "FAB-10" is a Kali legal lower that doesn't accept a detachable mag. The mag well is blocked off. Every time you want to load it (with 10 rounds), you have to separate the upper and lower.

Second, by federal AWB standards, I believe that the prerequisites for a gun being an "assault rifle" are that it be semi auto, and accept a detachable magazine, before the number of evil features comes into play. If the gun can't accept a detachable magazine, it can have all the evil features it wants. At least thats my understanding of it.

Of course kali has their own set of extra laws, so who knows. I'm sure some kali residents are more qualified to answer than I am, but I believe his setup would be legal elsewhere in the country.

El Rojo
November 7, 2003, 09:36 AM
So I ought to go with the high rise rings right? I have Millet rings on my 10/22. I like them. I just want a good cheek weld. Maybe since I have a 40mm objective I might only need mediums. Maybe I will order both and have an extra set to have around.

Yes ttbadboy is right. It can't be an evil assault weapon if it doesn't have a deadly detachable magazine. Without the 95% lethality rate detachable magazine, the virgin spoiling flash hider and candy stealing bayonet lug are nothing more than cosmetic features that simply offer slight additional fuction to a very harmless paper punching machine. :D

So did I get a good deal on that upper or what?

clown714
November 7, 2003, 09:48 AM
ttbadboy,

thanks for clearing that up;)

clown

Bottom Gun
November 7, 2003, 11:06 AM
I'm using Armalite mounts on my flattops and am very happy with them. They are a good sturdy one piece mount and you'll have plenty of clearance for your 40MM scope.
Quantico Arms had them for about $75 if I remember correctly.

Steve Smith
November 7, 2003, 11:13 AM
It's an ok price.

Redlg155
November 7, 2003, 02:36 PM
Another vote for Armalite mounts.

This is a Leupold 40mm VXII mounted on my Armalite flatop upper. I've mounted a 44 mm scope as well and still had plenty of clearance.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pb717130c819b44465f25fae6f8b29e37/fa9efa65.jpg

The unit seems to be machined from one solid peice of aluminum. The upper section of the rings are secured to the lower by two hex head screws per side instead of the usual one. There is also a recoil lug machined into the mount to prevent it from shifting under heavy recoil. A bit over built for a 5.56 rifle? Yes, but it won't fail you either.

I got mine from Quantico as well.

Good Shooting
Red

uglygun
November 8, 2003, 02:16 PM
El Rojo, what are your plans for the next week or so?

I just got back in from McKittrick this morning, went out to bust some bunnies but that was a bust.

Anyhow, I plan on heading to 5 dogs for some load development work with the 300WinMag. I plan on heading out there either this next Monday or this Friday to beat the weekend crowd. If you can make it out that way anything of mine you want to shoot and get a feel for you're welcome to it.

I've got the Armalite 1 piece mounts on both my AR10 and my accurized AR15, love them lots. They don't quite allow for enough forward mounting with LONG eye relief scopes, such as our Leupold Long Range scopes we have, but the forward cant does allow for more forward mounting than regular rings will provide.

For me I wound up putting an adjustable butt stock on my accurized AR15 inorder to get proper eye relief, I needed a better stock fit as well that's why I went with a buttplate rather than a flattop sleeve to further forward mount the scope.

Here's that wonderful recoil lug built into the under side of the mount, much better for locating the thing in the picatinny spec cross slots. I have yet to see this mount have a dramatic change in zero after being removed and reinstalled dozens of times, pretty much returns right to zero every time where either I can tell the difference or I can't shoot the difference.
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/mount1.jpg

El Rojo
November 9, 2003, 03:37 PM
If the weather holds I am supposed to go out with a guy to 5 Dogs tomorrow (11/10/03). I will IM you and get your phone number again.

If you enjoyed reading about "El Rojo found an nice upper. Now what size scope rings and other questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!