Millet Scopes?

PDA

Pony Express
November 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a scope to put on my AR. Ill be looking at the lower-mid power ranges, (1-4,3-9) and apparently Midway has a sale on millet rifle scopes. Does millet get the nod? Anybody have any real world experience with them?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Millet Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
November 12, 2009, 07:19 PM
I would NOT get the Millett DMS 1-4x

And here's why... http://libertyoptics.blogspot.com/2009/05/backing-away-from-millett-tactical.html

Backing away from Millett tactical.....
Friends,

You may recall that I embraced the Millett Tactical scopes (DMS-1, TRS-1, and LRS-1) scopes at SHOT Show (IIRC, I said something to the effect of they are "the best of China"), and the scopes I looked at seemed pretty tight and worth the money.

Recently, I took delivery of some DMS-1, and I was pretty disappointed in what I saw.

* Specks in the field of view. I know this is common on etched reticle scopes, but right out of the box?
* The scope magnification was actually under 1x at 1x....I mean when I cranked the scope down to 1x power, objects were definitely smaller than seen with the naked eye, sort of like looking through binocs backwards. Items appeared to be 1x when the scope was set at 1.5x.....I do not believe this was an illusion, all who looked through the scopes concluded the same thing.
* When set at 1x, there was pronounced vignetting and distortion squeezing the sight picture from the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions, the sight picture in ALL samples resembled an oval tilted 45 degrees
* We had a windage knob that actually wobbled when you turned it, right out of the box
* My "ear to the ground" hears that my experience is not too unusual...

So, I culled the herd for the best one to send to a customer and returned the rest. I also had a customer who deployed a TRS-1 at a match and the elevation knob completely froze up.

This is one example of a discrepancy between the product samples that are shown on the biggest stage in the world and those that are produced for off-the-shelf purchase. We have to call the current weather, so the Millett Tactical scopes rate a "don't buy"from us right now.

We still endorse the Made in USA Millett Zoom Dot red dot scope as a serious optic for serious riflemen. That is the lone shining star in the Millett product offering, IMO.

And that pretty much jives with what I've been hearing. I looked into one, but did not like it and decided that I would not spend my hard earned dollars on one.

I'm at the same stage as you, looking for a similar scope. I don't know what your price range is, but Vortex has some pretty good stuff out there for reasonable prices. There is also Nikon and Burris that I would not hesitate to buy. I chose some brands to look for by saying "I don't want Made In China glass" and that's how I narrowed down brands and models.

Currently, I've got a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 on layaway that I'm going to try. I played with it a lot in the store and really liked it, but I'm a bit of an odd duck when it comes to some stuff, so don't take that as a "what to buy" suggestion- it was very lightly used and my Merchant of Death gave me a good deal on it.

powergunner
November 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
you get what you pay for...
my friend has one. he says it is decent.
im personaly a leupold fan. see if you can find one that fits your budget.

Avenger29
November 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
you get what you pay for...

It's a hard lesson to learn, but once you learn it, you won't forget it.

At least for a basic 3-9 scope you don't have to go way high in price to get something that's decent...

Leupold has the Mark AR line out that you may want to look into, but I have simply not heard much about it. I haven't seen anything from that line on the shelf.

Avenger29
November 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-dbk-m-01p.html

I don't know if I'd buy a scope from OpticsPlanet, but I do like browsing their website and checking out stuff.

You may want to check out this thread at WeTheArmed, where George Hill (The "Mad Ogre") talks about putting together a budget package for an AR-10.

http://wethearmed.com/index.php/topic,6078.0.html

Uncle Mike
November 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
For the money, the Millett brand is pretty good, we sell a bunch of the Millett scopes, the little DMS 1-4X24mm has been a strong seller for us along with the LRS 6-25X56mm.

We have not had any returned or complained about, however common sense should prevail as to these scope not being on the same plateau as a Leupold or other mid to upper tier optic.

I have several Milletts and have had no problems...knock on wood!

The DMS makes for an excellent AR or Turkey gun scope.

I have heard of fogging problems from the camo dipper we use, they say some of the Milletts have fogged during the hot water rinse they use during the camo dipping process. Since none of my units have been subjected to harsh conditions, I can not accurately comment on their total durability.

But, for the money, they seem to be fair enough.

Maverick223
November 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
I would take Scott's advice, he is honest and refuses to sell junk. I can wholeheartedly recommend buying from him as his prices and service is better than any others that I have dealt with in the optics industry. I would look at a Vortex or even better a Bushnell E-4200 if you are willing to part with a little extra cash. I would also look at a Leupold Mark AR, though I have no experience with them, so I cannot comment about how good they are (glass is probably not the greatest due to the price, but I imagine it will hold up well).

:)

wally
November 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
I've got four of the Millet DMS, all work fine and look very good to me, one was defective out of the box but Midway exchanged it no questions asked and even credited my account for the postage I paid shipping it back to them, turned it around very quickly too.

To me its close to perfect for what I do, at 1X with the illumination on I can use it both eyes open like a red dot, at 4X I'm confident out 300 yards at least. Good range estimation features in the reticle too once you get the hang of it.

What would make it "perfect"? Smaller size and more forgiveness in the eye relief.

Unless its a lot smaller and much more forgiving in the eye relief, I don't see what 3-4X more cost would be buying me unless I was going to Iraq or something.

--wally.

Heck
November 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
I have been really happy with my DMS. Is it a Trijicon, absolutely not but it does what i need it to do and does it well.

againstthagrane
November 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
i don't have any experience with any of their scopes other than the zoom dot.
i can say that the zoom dot is best scope i could find for under $600 out there. adjustable size dot from 1-10 MOA, water proof to 100 meters, made in the USA. holds zero exceptionally well on a GG&G quick release cantilever mount.

i would not however buy anything that is made in china if i could avoid it.

RockyMtnTactical
November 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have a DMS-1 that is a pretty good scope for the money.

atlanticfire
November 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
I had the big Millet once on a savage. I think it was something up to 24x and 50MM. I could be wrong. Either way it was a good scope, not super or anything but worked well and was reasonably clear.

jon_in_wv
November 12, 2009, 11:47 PM
I have a TRS-1 on my Savage 7mm RM. It works great. I'm not an expert on scopes to be sure but mine is really clear and distortion free. The adjustments are also very repeatable. I have no complaints at all. I'm really glad I didn't spend more.

iamkris
November 13, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have a DMS-1 on an FAL. I love the concept and was pretty pleased to begin with. Only drawbacks were the scope's size (for a 1-4x it was very long) and that at 1X is had a fisheye look to the optics.

That said, after owning it for 2 years and putting about 500 rounds of 308 downrange, there are a lot of black "specks" on the lens from the inside. Not too bad when I have the illumination turned off, but when turned on, all those specks glow. That isn't tolerable.

Thinking through what to replace it with. Not sure if this is a fluke or if I need to think through another line. I'm thinking the Burris XTR 1-4x.

jon_in_wv
November 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
I haven't noticed any spots on my TRS, in fact I read many positive reviews before I bought it. I've fired about 200 rounds with my 7 Remington Mag and it has worked great.

Bill_Rights
December 19, 2009, 01:23 AM
I have a DMS-1 that I bought used mounted on a .308 semi-auto. I like a lot of things about the scope, but the elev/windage agjuster knobs are "mushy" - can't feel any clicks. Also tight and hard to turn. Is this typical? I suspect not. Is there some adjustment or re-assembly torque (or something) that the previous owner messed up? Can this be fixed?

Uncle Mike
December 19, 2009, 07:17 AM
Seems as though Millet may be falling down the rabbit hole.

The Millet product I personally own has been good...however, like I said previously, I have not subjected it to harsh service yet.

millet was purchased by Bushnell group, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
I bought my stuff at the shot show, and have not purchased any since. We sell the stuff and have not had any complaints, that I am aware of.

As for specs in the field, I can show you plenty $800 and $1000 Burris' that have the same!

It is always wise to question ANY Chinese made product ! IMO

If you can satisfy your application with at least Japanese made product, I would think this best.

If you enjoyed reading about "Millet Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!