American Made AK?

PDA

klcmschlesinger
November 13, 2009, 09:00 AM
I know very little about the AK's and which are considered good and which aren't. Lately on Gunbroker I have been seeing these American Made AK's. The title description is below. Anyone know if these are any good or anything about them? Help out an AK novice.
Thanks.

New I.O. AK47-C in 7.62 x 39 W/30 rd Mag

If you enjoyed reading about "American Made AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
t165
November 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
I could be wrong but I know of no 100% American made AK (AKM). The ones I am familiar with use some foreign parts and assemble the final product here stateside. I have absolutley no doubt a complete high quality AK (AKM) could be made entirely out of available US parts but I do not know of one. I'm curious...is there one?

Shear_stress
November 13, 2009, 09:57 AM
I could be wrong but I know of no 100% American made AK (AKM). The ones I am familiar with use some foreign parts and assemble the final product here stateside.

That is my understanding as well. Many of the rifles being sold now have U.S. receivers, furniture, barrels and FCGs, but still have foreign made bolts, bolt carriers, sights, gas tubes, selectors, front sights, and other parts. Despite internet confusion to the contrary, WASRs coming out of Romania have foreign made barrels and receivers. Draco pistols and PSCL-54Cs rifles (excluding a few FPKs made by TGI) are imported as they are.

klcmschlesinger
November 13, 2009, 10:04 AM
Here is the link on Gunbroker. So who makes it? Is it any good?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146602762

Shear_stress
November 13, 2009, 10:09 AM
Not sure about that specific rifle. The auction title is for an IO AK-47-C, but the picture looks like a WASR. If a WASR, that price is nothing special. If an IO, I haven't heard anything particularly great.

ny32182
November 13, 2009, 10:21 AM
I *think* the SA-M7 is 100% US made. I could be wrong. I have a buddy who had one for a while before the prices got insane, it was nice top quality milled receiver AK in my estimation, but no basic AK is worth the now-$1500 asking price, in my opinion.

nalioth
November 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
There is no such animal as a "totally US made Kalashnikov".

The vendor is using the letter of the law to his advantage in their creative advertising.

You see, the 922r law says that once your "previously unimportable firearm" is compliant with the 922r, it "legally" (but not in reality) becomes a "US made firearm".

Doesn't matter that 95% of the rifle has been made overseas - so long as it's got the required number of US parts, it's "legally" (but not actually) US made.

Just more shady business practices, IMHO.

zoom6zoom
November 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
Century is supposedly making a completely domestic AK now.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114629&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

nalioth
November 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
Century is supposedly making a completely domestic AK now.
Mandatory signup link removed

1) see the post immediately preceding yours.
2) The AK Forum requires signup to see anything. Nice way to run up their numbers. Your quote function from there can be copied to here just as easily as you linking to that place.

MT GUNNY
November 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
The business i worked at was making Thousands of AK Barrels for century arms. The owners son has a business right next door that is receiving Crates of Century arms WASR AK's, a they are Putting US Compliant parts in them. I know this as Fact 100%. I was making the barrels and crated these barrels for shipment and Put the shipping labels on them. I visited the next door, and chated with the owner and he told me what they were doing.

klcmschlesinger
November 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Is this a good price? $385 + shipping($30) + ($20)transfer fee.

iyaoyas98
November 13, 2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=401218

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=443511

It'll go bang, but that's about it.

Try this instead.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=486299

klcmschlesinger
November 13, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for info. I'll keep my distance.

Ian
November 13, 2009, 05:25 PM
Actually, it looks like Century really is making a 100% American AK. Or at least one with more US parts than anything else on the market.

http://www.centuryarms.com/?p=199

Looking at the photos, the front sight block and gas block are definitely not surplus parts. The gas tube and top cover look like foreign parts, but might just be made that way. Can't see anything about the bolt and carrier.

nalioth
November 13, 2009, 06:18 PM
Actually, it looks like Century really is making a 100% American AK. Or at least one with more US parts than anything else on the market.

http://www.centuryarms.com/?p=199Please see post #7 (http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6039696&postcount=7)

Looking at the photos, the front sight block and gas block are definitely not surplus parts. The gas tube and top cover look like foreign parts, but might just be made that way. Can't see anything about the bolt and carrier.

Do you realize how many variations of FSB and GB have been made over the decades by the commies? You can identify each and every design iteration?

I'm still calling "BS".

spence
November 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
what about Lancaster AK,s are they american made . are they any good ? they are pricy .

nalioth
November 13, 2009, 09:36 PM
what about Lancaster AK,s are they american made . are they any good ? they are pricy . When referencing Kalashnikovs "American Made" is a legal term.

No Kalashnikov is actually "American made", but the 922r law allows them to be legally considered so.

Lancaster AKs don't get many complaints.

my762buzz
November 13, 2009, 09:44 PM
I still have not yet seen any ak bolt or carrier manufacturers
in the USA. Anyone got a picture of either with made in the USA on it?

Wes Janson
November 13, 2009, 10:01 PM
The real key question would be, "Are there any components which are not currently made domestically by any manufacturer out there?"

Offhand, I'd be wondering specifically about the front sight block and the top cover. Pretty much every other part on the rifle I'm aware of current US-made sources for. Now, it may make no economic sense for a manufacturer to build completely American, but it's almost certainly still theoretically possible to build one, if you were so inclined.

Ian
November 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
Do you realize how many variations of FSB and GB have been made over the decades by the commies? You can identify each and every design iteration?

I'm still calling "BS".

I'm dubious about the "100% American" claim myself. But I'm pretty familiar with the variants of AK, and I'm pretty sure that those gas and front sight blocks aren't anyone's surplus. The FSB in particular, because it has no provision for windage adjustment (the rifle is advertised as having a windage-adjustable rear sight).

Ohio Gun Guy
November 13, 2009, 11:51 PM
I think it could be all made here. An ak is mostly stampings. Funny, they are milling the reciever though.

I think the import market has driven a need for specific parts, first recievers, then barrels, then stocks and fire control groups. Pretty soon your only a few parts from the whole thing.

lobo9er
November 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
doesn't tapco make a bolt carrier?

my762buzz
November 14, 2009, 01:10 AM
If they do, its not listed on their website.

Their gas piston is about the closest part to the carrier I know of.

lobo9er
November 14, 2009, 09:50 AM
my762 your prolly right i wasn't sure i know they make a sks bolt carrier

Hammerhead6814
November 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
SA-M7. From Arsenal Inc.

Every part is USA made. From the receiver to the barrel. The firing pin to the pistol grip. Every part.

1,000,000 answers on thehighroad, only a few stay on topic.

nalioth
November 14, 2009, 12:06 PM
SA-M7. From Arsenal Inc.

Every part is USA made. From the receiver to the barrel. The firing pin to the pistol grip. Every part.
This is quite false. The rifle is manufactured in Bulgaria and is imported and made 922r legal by Arsenal, Inc.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Made AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!