Longevity more important than mag cap?

PDA

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
Poll Edit -- BUT if you are in some type of civil disruption -- and you find a hi cap mag you can use it.

I'm starting to feel sorry for the Ruger Mini. It seems like everyone wants to bash the heck out of it. From reading these posts here I would think most members would prefer a firearm with even smaller capacity rounds and a bolt over a Ruger Mini despite it having hi cap mags (at least in theory) and they are detachable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Longevity more important than mag cap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
I would choose a USGI M1 Carbine, but since that isn't an option I chose the Ruger Mini. Considering that you didn't specify which, make mine a 7.62 version in a SHTF scenario.

BUT if you are in some type of civil disruption -- and you find a hi cap mag you can use it.That is so sweet of you to let us use a big-boy mag. :p
:)

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
The USGI ones have like a fixed mag with a 15 shot cap, no? Not to mention cost a lot more than those other guns.

I didn't that that would be fair since all the old milsurps have 5 rounds for the most part and are bolt action.

Avenger29
November 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
Enfield or Mauser in that case. Quick loading from stripper clips, at least. Preferably the Enfield.

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
well wouldn't you be loading quicker with a deattachable mag?

Or are you saying the ruger and m1 (not usgi) is incapable of sustained firepower anyway so the mag is irrelevant in such a situation? which incidentally is what the point of this thread.

armoredman
November 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0056.jpg

10 round mag, three Russian Mosin pouches with 15 rounds each side, pigsticker, and it's accurate and reliable as the day is long...I'm good.

fireman 9731
November 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
How about an AK with a 5 round mag, or a Mosin?

Nothing against the mini.... but if I was going into battle, I would want a battle proven design.

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
I didn't realize that Enfields were 10 rounds. I thought all the bolt guns from ww2 were 5 rounds. Yeah I was going to include Mosin, but I figured everyone would just choose the SKS instead.

And yeah you can have a Swiss K31 if you want or even a Remington 700. No AK.

rcmodel
November 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
The USGI ones have like a fixed mag with a 15 shot cap, no?No.
All M1 carbines have detachable mags holding either 15 or 30 rounds.
5-round detachable magazines are also available for use in hunting, or states that require them.
Mag changes are done quickly & easily, just like any other modern semi-auto rifle using magazines.

If I were using an SKS, I would want it unmodified and still using 10-round stripper clips.
Unlike a detachable SKS mag, you can sustain a fairly high rate of fire indefinately with the stock stripper clips.

rc

Rshooter
November 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
I own all of the weapons listed and have nothing against the mini which I believe is a superior rifle but I am looking at moving parts and ease of maintenance here in SHTF. Both my Mauser and Enfield are built to run whether I maintain them or not. They are hard rifles to break but you must remember magazines are a weakness. I choose the Mauser due to an internal magazine.

Art Eatman
November 13, 2009, 01:36 PM
Odds are that a battle situation wouldn't be as much of a maintenance problem as an SHTF situation. Military forces have re-supply and maintenance built into the deal.

SHTF? Situational. Again, playing the odds, any hostility will be short-lived for defense, or shoot-and-scoot if away from some fixed position. But if a part breaks, who's gonna fix it?

IMO, then, longevity is of little importance if you're talking about "wearing it out from shooting". Reliability and rate of fire seem to me to be more important.

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 02:49 PM
So Art you voted Mini since it has a detach mag?

Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 02:50 PM
The USGI ones have like a fixed mag with a 15 shot cap, no? Not to mention cost a lot more than those other guns.Nope, it is a detachable box magazine. 15 rounds was USGI issue, but 30rnd mags are available (from the M2s) as well as other aftermarket magazines. I will not use aftermarket magazines in my M1, they have a bad habit of jamming where the USGI mags seem to run fine and last a lot longer. The USGI Carbine should cost about the same as the Auto Ordinance (now Kahr) and is a good bit more reliable IMO. :)

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
The USGI Carbine should cost about the same as the Auto Ordinance (now Kahr) and is a good bit more reliable IMO.

Does that include ones made by IBM and Remington (or was it Winchester I saw on Gun broker the other day)? Why would anyone buy a Springfield (or Kahr) then? Also have you tried the 5 round hunting ones they come with/does it work in the Garand? I think I want a Garand then . . .

Kitchen_Duty
November 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
I voted enfield since it has a 10 round internal magazine. Since you didn't specify: i'll take mine in 308 please

-Kitchen

bang_bang
November 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
I guess the SKS would do it for me. I'm more familiar with that platform than the others, plus I think I can part out one of mine and swap the 5 round mag for the factory 10 round. :D

kanook
November 13, 2009, 04:46 PM
Does that include ones made by IBM and Remington (or was it Winchester I saw on Gun broker the other day)? Why would anyone buy a Springfield (or Kahr) then? Also have you tried the 5 round hunting ones they come with/does it work in the Garand? I think I want a Garand then An M1 carbine 5 round mag will not work in a Garand. 30 carbine vs 30-06

Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 05:01 PM
Does that include ones made by IBM and Remington (or was it Winchester I saw on Gun broker the other day)? Why would anyone buy a Springfield (or Kahr) then? Also have you tried the 5 round hunting ones they come with/does it work in the Garand? I think I want a Garand thenIt is Winchester, some brands are more expensive. They are not necessarily better, in fact the Winchester M1s generally exhibit the lowest quality machining of any of the Carbines. Personally I prefer one that was made by one of the more unusual manufacturers. Mine is marked National Postal Meter, but was actually produced by Union Switch and Signal Company, it appeals to me on a couple of different levels because my father had a Nat. Postal, and I like machines, in particular steam engines (Union Switch made railroad signaling equipment). That said, all of the USGI spec. rifles are equally good in function. The Inland is generally the most affordable and is on par with a new Kahr, I believe that most people who buy the new copies just want a brand new rifle, and don't realize that it is of slightly less quality that the originals.

All aftermarket magazines should work in a USGI Carbine, however they usually are of inferior quality and jam (in both USGI and reproduction rifles). As kanook said above the Garand cannot accept Carbine magazines, or any magazines without modification, as they are set up to use clips and shoot the larger .30-06 Springfield cartridge.

:)

kanook
November 13, 2009, 05:51 PM
This got me to thinking, A perfectely good reason on why a mag should not be called a clip. M1 carbine uses mags that can be loaded with a stripper clip. The M1 Garand only uses a clip. (unless heavily modified and rare)

Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 06:01 PM
This got me to thinking, A perfectely good reason on why a mag should not be called a clip.Hmmm, good point. Chances are I just confused the bejeezuz out of someone. Oh well, gotta learn some how. :p

kanook
November 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
it's always easy to find the oldtimers

Golden_006
November 13, 2009, 06:26 PM
So you can't have garand in cal or some Newo England states since they have 10 round mag limits

Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
it's always easy to find the oldtimersWho are you calling an oldtimer? :scrutiny: I may not be a kid...but I like to think that I am a long way from oldtimer-ship. FWIW I am younger than 30. :cool:

So you can't have garand in cal or some Newo England states since they have 10 round mag limitsI am pretty sure it is legal (but I don't live there and am not an attorney), as they only hold 8rnds.

armoredman
November 13, 2009, 07:55 PM
Kitchen_Duty, the .308 Enfield is the Indian one, No2A1, IIRC, and has a 12 round mag.

MetalHead
November 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
I voted SMLE, this on the assumption that ammo is to be found, otherwise I'dd grab the SKS, good firepower, fast stripper reload, wood stock to help "fly under the radar". One could argue that goes for the mini too but I have more confidence in stopping proablems with one round of M43.

General Geoff
November 13, 2009, 08:28 PM
So you can't have garand in cal or some Newo England states since they have 10 round mag limits

the Garand uses 8-round en-bloc clips. They are legal in all 50 states, last I checked.

Shadow Man
November 13, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hrmph. I hastily voted Mauser, due to its long history of use in rebellion and war (from...oh, the Boxer rebellion on?) but immediately had second thoughts when I hit the "vote" button. Ammunition could be a tough find, and I know from experience that recoil can be sharp, at best. Could I then change my answer to a weapon I was surprised didn't make it onto your list; M1903 Springfield? Seeing as it is basically just a .30'06 Mauser...

Besides, I am more familiar with the M1903 than any of the other weapons on your list. In fact, while I own two of the other weapons on that list (not the Ruger, either) my Springfield is my main go-to gun when anything untoward happens on the property.

Smith357
November 13, 2009, 10:05 PM
I went the Mauser since I own many Mauser action rifles chambered in 6.5 Swede and .30-06 and it is what I am comfortable using. I know the actions inside and out and trust them with my life.

Eightball
November 13, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'd take one of those FN Commercial Mausers in .30-06. I'd rather have a 1903A3, or a 1917 Enfield (.30-06, 5-round), but of the choices listed I picked the standard Mauser, as right now I've got one rebarreled in .308. Works pretty well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Longevity more important than mag cap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!