Best budget 1911?

PDA

Braz
November 6, 2003, 10:13 PM
Howdy shootists,

Got the hankerin' for a 1911 pistol. Looked at the Rock Island Arms pistols for $299, but it was a lil' flakey. I'd love a Kimber, but $800 is outta my league. What would you advise as the best budget 1911? Thankee.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best budget 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shmackey
November 6, 2003, 10:34 PM
What's the most you'll spend?

I don't care for Springfields all that much, but the new WW-something mil-spec repro is cheap and neat-looking.

XavierBreath
November 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
The Springfield Mil Specs are the best value out there IMHO.

Sean Smith
November 6, 2003, 10:52 PM
The lowest I'd suggest going is either a $400-450 Springfield Mil-Spec or a $570 Colt 01991. In my opinion the Colt is worth the price difference, but the SA MilSpec is a solid gun and nothing to sneeze at. The only $300ish new gun that I'd recommend to anybody (well, anybody I LIKE, anyway) is a CZ-75B. I would characterize all the cheaper 1911s that I've handled (e.g. Charles Daly) as pure slag. Maybe not fair, but just my opinion.

10-Ring
November 7, 2003, 12:20 AM
If you're looking for pure value, it's tough to beat the SA Mil Spec!

Preacherman
November 7, 2003, 01:02 AM
See this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=48472). I've owned a Griffon before, and am in the process of getting another. Very reliable, and right now, very well priced! :D

voilsb
November 7, 2003, 01:27 AM
I'd say get an Argentine Sistema.

Skunkabilly
November 7, 2003, 01:58 AM
I'd go with a Kimber plain jane "custom" :rolleyes: II

marvl
November 7, 2003, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't go near a SA or Kimber. I have personally had lots of problems with them, and have read endless similar stories on various boards.

I'd look at a used Colt, or maybe a new Dan Wesson.

The Argentine Sistema might be a good choice too. Really just a foreign Colt, and the price is hard to beat.

digex
November 7, 2003, 02:29 PM
You'll hear tons of bad things about the Kimber Series II. I guess I'm just a lucky bastard because I own one and haven't had any problems with it at all. Definitely look into them, the price is reasonable and their good guns. I got mine for $600 at Cabela's and I've enjoyed it thouroughly.

Dorrin79
November 7, 2003, 02:37 PM
my Springfield Mil-Spec ($460) has been flawless so far.

Mike Irwin
November 7, 2003, 02:41 PM
I've got a Springfield Mil Spec, one of the older models. Probably about 8 years old now.

It's very traditional, and an excellent shooter.

A friend has a later Mil Spec, and it's somewhat different, including the addition of a factory lowered ejection port to prevent case mashing. Mine doesn't have that, and will occasionally mash a case mouth beyond repair.

Mine was sold as a used, but unfired gun. I paid the princely sum of $250 or so for it.

NevadaPistolero
November 7, 2003, 02:44 PM
Springfield WW2 mil-spec, I just picked one up for $416 with transfer and shipping....you cant beat that. Besides Springfield have a life time guaranty. Check out Gunbrokers.com. thats where I got mine.

longtom4570
November 7, 2003, 04:29 PM
I agree with the others, i just picked up a WWII Mil-Spec and i love it:D it has the right feel and it looks great

Tropical Z
November 7, 2003, 04:44 PM
Id vote for the Griffon or a S.A.M.,Springfields just dont do it for me.

MoNsTeR
November 7, 2003, 04:46 PM
No such thing.

Boats
November 7, 2003, 07:24 PM
Used Colt seconded.

Bainx
November 7, 2003, 07:45 PM
Seeing [firing] is believing. Hey, Charles Daly is pretty darn good.
I challenge you guys to try them out.

michiganfan
November 8, 2003, 07:52 AM
I'll second the Charles Daly. Had a couple of failures to go into battery when I first got it. Switched to a heavier recoil spring and it has been just dandy since.

Bahadur
November 8, 2003, 08:45 AM
What no NORINCO?

WhoKnowsWho
November 8, 2003, 09:26 AM
My Charles Daly has been good to me too. The lowest priced model, just needed a 18 lb recoil spring. Sure, it's no Kimber, etc. but I like it. It is nearning 1K rounds too.

If I had to buy another 1911 right now, I just got a Para Carry, but it is definately not a budget gun, I would get a Springfield Mil-Spec. Some prices have been floating up pretty high since everyone seemed to want one, but they are out there. A little more money, I would get a Dan Wesson.

Tomac
November 8, 2003, 09:53 AM
So what was "flaky" about the Rock Island .45? Mine's tight, accurate, reliable, has a decent trigger right out of the box, the barrel is hardchromed inside and out and there are no MIM/plastic parts or two piece barrels. Do a search for "Rock Island" and "RIA" here and see what owners have to say about it: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/ . IMHO you'll be hard pressed to find a better budget .45.
Tomac

If you enjoyed reading about "Best budget 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!