Marlin Golden 39 A

PDA

Plinker77
November 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hey, everyone just signed up. I just ordered Marlin 39 A hard to find around here. Just wanted opinions on this model heard it was the best 22 rifle lever action. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Golden 39 A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plinker77
November 13, 2009, 06:39 PM
I just want to make sure i didnt mess up by getting it.

bdg146
November 13, 2009, 06:43 PM
Welcome to THR!

I don't have a Marlin 39, but I've always wanted one, and from what I hear they're awesome... I'm sure you'll love it!

Plinker77
November 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
Just want to know

Eightball
November 13, 2009, 06:52 PM
heard it was the best 22 rifle lever actionThis. IIRC, one of the first firearms to chamber .22lr.....and I think it was in the 1890s? Still made most of the way they used to (minor changes, but still a "real" .22 with real wood to boot)--metal internals, takedown, etc. One of the sweetest .22s I've ever shot was a 39A.

Enjoy, and post pics.

oneounceload
November 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
Had one, had to replace the firing pin several times, had a lot of issues with light strikes, especially with cheap ammo (Federal bulk).

Stick with good ammo and don't dry fire it

When it worked, it was a lot of fun- very mild and low noise with good accuracy. I would suggest using a full-size good-quality rifle scope, not some cheap .22 chinese junk.

Good luck

Walkalong
November 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
I love mine. My father traded a shotgun for it when I was a wee lad. :)

CB900F
November 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
Plinker77;

I'm going to suggest you do little looking around the rifles forum & find the model 39 club. There's over 2000 posts about these guns. If any question you might have hasn't already been covered, ask it, it will get answered.

900F

Plinker77
November 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks i am new today to be exact. Ihave lots of rifles in all calibers just love to shoot. But how do i find it.

dfariswheel
November 13, 2009, 08:27 PM
It on this same forum.

Here's a link:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635

The short answer is, the Marlin Model 39 is almost certainly the finest .22 lever rifle ever made.
No plastic, no aluminum, no MIM metal, just solid milled steel and American walnut, made the way it was in 1892.

Accuracy is almost always astounding, especially if you test various brands and types of ammo the find a type that particular gun "likes".
Its literally a rifle your great grand children will be shooting far in the future.

ArmedBear
November 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
I got a 39 a while back. I liked it so much that within a couple of months, I had bought another one with a different stock and barrel, so I could enjoy it in different configurations. If I saw a different one for sale, and I had the money, I'd buy a third.

You didn't screw up. No way, no how.:)

CajunBass
November 14, 2009, 05:58 AM
I just want to make sure i didnt mess up by getting it.

You didn't. :D

Ratshooter
November 14, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a 39A made in 1978. Paid $200 for it at a pawn shop. The whole reason I haven't bought a CZ 22 is because I do not beleive it would shoot any better than the 39. Plus it has the built in mag and will shoot all three 22 cartridge styles of any power level.

I have a 4x scope on mine which some do not like. It is the only way I can use the accuracy that this rifle provides. I had an oportunity to buy 2 of the 20" barreled Mounties for $300 each a couple of years ago and passed. I have been kicking my butt ever since that stupid mistake.

You did not make a mistake. I do wish Marlin would make a lighter version with a 20" barrel again.

jerry46
November 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have four 22s, a Winchester 69A, A Winchester 9422, A Ruger 10/22 and a 1960s model Marlin 39A that I bought about six months ago at a pawn shop for $425. Without a doubt, the 39A is the most accurate. It came with a cheap 4x scope on it which is still there. I have thought about taking it off and putting a peep sight on it, but have not done so yet. You will not be sorry you bought one.

Plinker77
November 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
I heard that lead ammo doesnt shoot well . Any thoughts.

EAJ
November 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
Congrat's. Happy with mine. :)

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/marlin39_04.jpg

Nematocyst
November 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
Welcome to THR, Plinker, and to the 39 club.

Glad to see Dfariswheel has already recommended that you come by our (un)official 39 "club" (thread) (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635). You'll find a ton of information about 39s over there, and lots of friendly people. It may take you a couple of months to read, though; we've been at it for a while. :D

Congrats on purchasing a fine rifle. Ya' done good.

dfariswheel
November 14, 2009, 08:25 PM
I heard that lead ammo doesn't shoot well . Any thoughts.

All .22LR ammunition has solid lead bullets.
The bullets in .22LR are either coated with a clear lubricant or are brass or copper plated as a lubricant.

"Usually" the better grade ammo is plated, but what will shoot the best in your .22 is something you have to experiment with. Many .22 shooters buy as many brands and types of .22 that they can find and test shoot them until they find the one that shoots the best.
Then buy a case of it.

au2183
November 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
You will LOVE the 39A! I have several, and I'm always on the lookout for another one. I agree you should come by the 39 club and sign up. Great bunch of guys there with a lot of knowledge to share.
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new Marlin!

keebo52
November 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
I've had mine for 40+ years and it's still my favorite rimfire.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
Bunch of threads on it; great rifle.

As I've said many many times, please Marlin, for the LOVE OF GOD, please come out again with a 16" TDS and/or a 20" mountie version. PLEASE!!!! I *want* my TDS to lose its high collector status so that I can shoot it with impunity and guilt-free!

ishida
November 15, 2009, 12:13 AM
I sure love the one my great-grandfather gave me. It was about 40 years old when I got it, so that makes it about 50 now.

janobles14
November 15, 2009, 12:35 AM
best .22 ever! hands down!

ArmedBear
November 15, 2009, 01:39 AM
I heard that lead ammo doesnt shoot well . Any thoughts.

Thoughts? You heard a bunch of horsecrap.:)

Nematocyst
November 15, 2009, 02:08 AM
... please Marlin, for the LOVE OF GOD, please come out again with a 16" TDS and/or a 20" mountie version. PLEASE!!!!No kidding. Me, too.

Actually, I don't want a TDS so much as a Mountie-type with a 16" & pg stock.

As soon as I'm able to do so financially, I'm having my 39A cut down to somewhere between 16" and 18".

(I've been saying that for almost 1.5 years now; yeah, business has sucked for a really long time. :( )

CB900F
November 15, 2009, 01:24 PM
Fella's;

You're imploring the wrong party IMHO. Captain Marlin doesn't command his own ship anymore. The Remington/Cerberus conglom-pirates have seized control. Therefore, I'm suggesting you to take a look at Remington's customer service record & re-evaluate your desires against the chances snowballs surviving in hell. In fact, sift through the last couple of pages of this thread & note the theme that Marlin Q/C seems to be suffering lately. ( Sarcasm button ON ) There may be a connnection. (Button off)

To be fair, my gripe with The Evil Elfs Of Ilion is long-standing and remains virulent as ever. But that's another story.

900F

22-rimfire
November 15, 2009, 01:47 PM
CB900F, never had a serious problem with a Remington rifle. They are generally my first choice for a rifle and usually it is a Model 700 BDL unless I have a special need for synthetic stock or something.

The Marlin 39A is the best lever action 22 rifle made today and in the past. The Winchester 9422 is a very good one too as are the Browning BL-22's. All of these are substantially better than the Henry or a Mossberg in my opinion. But you pay for the "substantially better" as always.

With regard to ammunition, if you want to take the time and make the effort, buy an assortment of different 22LR ammunition and test fire the rifle with each keeping records. With the 4x scope, you are probably limited practically to 50 yds with 25 yd bench shooting being the easiest due to sight picture. But at 25 yds, most of the 22 ammo performs fairly well. If you don't want to mess with test firing, pick up some Federal bulk packs, Federal 510's (50 ct box), and some CCI in both high velocity and standard velocity. Do try some Remington also. But skip the higher priced stuff that is mostly available through the internet stores. As an afterthought, that sounds like an assortment... but for me the assortment is typically a bit broader. If I wanted to buy one or two and stick with them as being the likely better performers in HV, it would be CCI HV and Federal 510s (labeled Champion or Lightning).

Most evaluate a 22 rifle and ammo combo at 50 yds as that is about the distance where you start to see the groups open up a bit. I think the 4x scope or a 2-7x-ish scope is about a perfect match with the typical use of a Marlin 39A and most people's shooting need.

CZguy
November 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
I think the 4x scope or a 2-7x-ish scope is about a perfect match with the typical use of a Marlin 39A and most people's shooting need.

It really depends in what you set the rifle up to do. I use my 39a for squirrel hunting and casual plinking, so I mounted a Lyman receiver sight and a Williams Firesight up front. That's just about perfect for my uses.

CB900F
November 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
22-rimfire;

You miss my point. The Marlin 39 is indeed almost certainly still the best .22 rimfire being made today. However, if the overall quallity has noticably declined amonst recent buyers of new 39's, that's not a good thing. It's indicative of a trend, if allowed to continue, that will either cause the model 39 to not be the best you can get, or to cease production, or both.

Given Remington's past and proven ability to make "interesting" business decisions, don't pooh-pooh the possibility. Do a search for complaints about Remington's somewhat less than stellar customer service in the last ten years, and you'll get more information than you want. Much of that information is right here on THR.

And, I do indeed know all about testing the maximum varieties of .22 ammo in a gun to find out what it likes. Also, as new variety's become available, I'll do it all over again just to see if something will work better in a particular gun.

900F

SwampWolf
November 16, 2009, 06:21 AM
It really depends in what you set the rifle up to do. I use my 39a for squirrel hunting and casual plinking, so I mounted a Lyman receiver sight and a Williams Firesight up front. That's just about perfect for my uses.

Same here. I'm of the opinion that mounting a scope on this rifle detracts from its intrinsic good handling qualities. Mine has a Williams receiver sight on it and it's one of my favorite squirrel rifles. I'm not against scopes-a couple of my bolt-action .22s have them but even on those rifles I prefer to use the most compact model that is practical.

ClemY
November 16, 2009, 10:09 AM
The first gun I got was a new Marlin 39A in 1963. I still have it. I shot it so much that the accuracy fell off and I recently had it rebarreled. Accuracy is back. A little over 4 yrs. ago I found a 69 vintage 39M. I snapped it up. It is at least as accurate as my old 39A. I expect to pass these to my grandchildren.

Randall
November 16, 2009, 12:10 PM
I had the extractor break on mine after maybe 30,000 rounds. I have only had it about 25years.It has a few minor stock dings from my kids learning to shoot with it.It shoots as good now as it did then.

keebo52
November 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
Just had a guy bring a 39A Golden Mountie by for me to look at. The lever wouldn't budge. When I got it opened up it was so nasty and gummed up that it took a while to get it working. There was some rust in the action and patches of rust on the exterior finish. He said the rifle had been at his camp for several years. I tried to buy it from him but wouldn't sell. Said it was his grandfather's. What a shame to see such a fine gun neglected like that.

Plinker77
November 17, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hey every one just wanted to let you know i saw my gun today it is awsome.:what:

gyvel
November 17, 2009, 09:40 PM
Its literally a rifle your great grand children will be shooting far in the future.

Unless/until the government says otherwise...:mad:

tundra1gary
November 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
I bought a Henry.17HMR Golden Boy and I'm very disappointed. The lever action quit feeding after only 10 rounds. The trigger drag is terrible, the action is stiff and it misfires about every 10 rounds. Accuracy is terrible compared to my Marlin .22LR Micro Groove Barrel Golden 39-A. At 100 yards I could only get 2 out of 5 shots in a 3" group. With my Marlin I can put them all in a 1" circle. This marlin is about 40 years old and has had well over 1000 rounds thru it and it has never misfired, jammed or anything and the lever action is smooth as glass.
The Henry looks good but don't judge a book by its cover!

CZguy
November 27, 2009, 02:56 AM
It's hard to compair a 39 to a golden boy, they are in different price ranges.

If you are not satisfied with your Henry, you should contact them. They have the best customer service in the industry.

Nematocyst
November 27, 2009, 04:57 AM
Welcome to THR and the club, Tundra. Glad you like the 39.

Interesting to hear of quality customer service at Henry.

I wish that Marlin made a .22 mag carbine like they did.
But since they don't i might have to buy a Henry someday.
(Hint, hint, Marlin, just in case you're reading here ...).

76shuvlinoff
November 27, 2009, 10:18 AM
I really like the way a 39A feels like a full size rifle. I seriously enjoy my still shiney 79 but lust for my Dad's worn 52 with the fatter foregrip. Some don't like the older bigger woodwork but I think it adds to the "real rifle" feel.

gyvel
November 29, 2009, 06:30 AM
It's hard to compair a 39 to a golden boy, they are in different price ranges.

And, of course, "Golden Boys" are made of pot metal, which is guaranteed to give you the lifetime pleasure of shooting dozens of rounds.

salvo
November 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
Never had a Henry, but plenty of people love the ones they have. That's all that matters in my book!
When I was in the market for a 39A a year or so ago, I searched out a pre-safety/rebounding hammer rifle. Found a 1982 model and could not be happier!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Marlin%2039A/IMG_3903.jpg

25 yd ammo testing

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Marlin%2039A/IMG_3922.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Marlin%2039A/IMG_3921.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Marlin%2039A/IMG_3920.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Marlin%2039A/IMG_3918.jpg

AirForceShooter
November 29, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have one I picked up in the 80's I think
I really don't like it.

My favorite is my Reming 511x that I've had forever.

Sorry

AFS

ArmedBear
November 29, 2009, 12:56 PM
What do you want for it?:)

teetertotter
December 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
I have a Simons 6.5-20 X 44 on my 39a as use for Silhouette competition at our rifle club.
Try and see how accurate you can be at 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters with your 39a. Or try bench rest at 50 yds at your local club. Shooting squirrels and crows could be fun too with peep sights for those that enjoy that sport.

FNP-9
December 25, 2009, 01:22 PM
Well I have had 2 model 39's...a 39a and a mountie. Best .22's I have owned/shot! But like an idiot I sold both to fund the next guns that were on my list.:barf: Wish I could have them back. Oh well, guess I can only be young and stupid once......

TCB in TN
December 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ya did good! They are great guns, and IMHO they are the best .22 ever made!

Zip7
December 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have an old one, and love it. However, I wish I had the one EAJ posted a picture of as well

Plinker77
December 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well I took my 39 A out for a test drive.:neener:: The gun handled & shot well even my 6 yr. old daughter got her first taste of shooting. Did well with blazer ammo. I will try different ammo next time & try to get pics.:D

jkingrph
December 31, 2009, 07:20 PM
I have had mine for 58 years now If I could only keep only one firearm from my collection(accumulation) the 39a would be the one.

CajunBass
January 1, 2010, 07:01 AM
Found a 1982 model and could not be happier!

HEY! I got one just like it. Bought it new in 1982. Shoots just like yours.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Marlin39-A.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Golden 39 A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!