Compare Remington VLS to Ruger Mod 77 Mk II, both .243

PDA

counterclockwise
November 13, 2009, 10:10 PM
I am looking at buying one of these for use as a .243 tack driver.

I can get the Ruger a little cheaper. It has the long Mauser extractor claw, stationary blade ejector, dull stainless. The one I am looking at has the 1" Ruger scope rings with it.

I have a VLS 7mm-08 blued steel, that I like. Of course, it is classic Remington push feed.

I do not like the boat paddle stock of the Ruger.

Any comments on comparison of the two would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Compare Remington VLS to Ruger Mod 77 Mk II, both .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
November 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
The Ruger has a better action IMO, I like it much better; however the Remington will likely be the more accurate of the two. If you are up for suggestions, I would consider a Savage.

:)

counterclockwise
November 14, 2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks Maverick,
I have a 22" light barrel savage in .243 now. It has the accutrigger, button rifling, etc. I was looking for a 26" heavy barrel or thereabouts.

Maverick223
November 14, 2009, 12:43 AM
No problem, you just described the Savage Model 12. It should be within your budget (about the same as the Rem.), and is a nicer rifle (that promises to be more accurate out of the box) than the Remington IMO. While I still favor the CRF action that the Ruger has, I don't feel it will offer the accuracy that you desire, so I don't believe it is the right rifle for you. Good luck, Mav.

rangerruck
November 14, 2009, 01:04 AM
I think you can also call savage, and ask for the model you want, and cal, and ask for a 26 inch bbl. It will cost more, but I think it is the way i would go.
Otherwise, ruger is 50/50 on accuracy or not , it seems. Out of the two, i would do the remmy.

Maverick223
November 14, 2009, 02:56 AM
I think you can also call savage, and ask for the model you want, and cal, and ask for a 26 inch bbl.Unless I am mistaken the Model 12 is available in a 26" bbl in .243Win. Why would you special order?

Just checked their site and it shows all of the .243Win. Model 12s as having 26" bbl. They are also available in several variants: blued, SS, bull bbl, sporter contour, walnut, laminate, synthetic, and even a thumbhole version...of course all of the options are not available together, so that may be a reason to special order if you want certain features that do not normally come in one of the factory configurations.

sleepyone
November 14, 2009, 03:02 AM
I would not jump to conclusions on the Remington being more accurate. I just bought a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye wood/blue in 243 last week and got 3 and 5 shot dime size groupings at 100 yards with Federal Powershok 100 gr ammo and a Buckmaster 3x9 40mm scope. Did just as well as my Model 70 Featherweight 270 that I was also shooting new out of the box.

David Sours
November 14, 2009, 10:27 PM
Not to add another choice but I recently was in your boat, and it came down to the Remington and the Thopson Center Icon Precision Hunter. I went with the Thompson and have not been disappointed. I have shot several groups with berger 95 gr VLD's sub .5 MOA The best being a 5 shot group @ 100 .4" and a three shot group at 200 .5". Also took my first white-tail with it this evening and the VLD bullet lived up to expectations. The buck went about 30 yds and it was over, with an exit wound the size of a golf ball! Anyway, check out the Thompson they also have a rebate of $150.00 till the end of Nov.

One thing that you might consider is what grain bullet you want to shoot. The Icon has a twist of 1:10, berger told me the 95 gr was the heaviest bullet I could shoot.

I belive the Savage and Rem have a 1:9 or 1:9.25 anyway good luck.

I personally would by the Thomspon again with out a doubt!

David

If you enjoyed reading about "Compare Remington VLS to Ruger Mod 77 Mk II, both .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!