SLR-95 Doubled Today

PDA

amprecon
November 14, 2009, 02:01 AM
Luckily I had only two rounds left in the 5-round mag I was using when it happened the first time, after that I'd only load two rounds in it as it happened two more times after that.
The rifle is mostly stock, I replaced the thumbhole furniture with the U.S. made parts kit to include a U.S. made interior part (hammer?). I have also installed the Ultimak rail tube. Other than that the rifle is stock and I have never had this issue before.
I had taken it to the range to sight in the red dot with the wolf 122gr jhp steel-cased rounds only to realize I had brought 123gr fmj's. So I fired about 40 rounds of the fmj's with no problems. I then went home and got the 122gr. jhp's that I plan to use for hunting and returned to the range to sight them in.
I believe it was the second full mag in the 5-round polymer mag I was using, and as I slowly squeezed the trigger two rounds went out before I knew what happened. I stopped and looked around to see if anybody else at the range had noticed as full-auto fire is prohibited. Then I removed the cover, spring, piston/carrier assembly and looked inside. Everything appeared normal and I worked the trigger while holding the hammer to see how things were functioning.
I looked like the hammer could slip past the catch if the trigger was held just right, so as I fired afterwards I conciously and deliberately squeezed the trigger all the way through and it functioned normal. It seemed that when I took my time and squeezed the trigger slowly and felt for the sear to release is when the rifle would go auto. I couldn't tell if that was what was happening or if it was slam-firing.
But anyway I'm not sure what to do with it and feel rather nervous about using it again until this issue is resolved.

If you enjoyed reading about "SLR-95 Doubled Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
November 14, 2009, 02:03 AM
I don't know the procedure, but surely there is a full functional check for a Kalashnikov floating somewhere around on the internet that should help you diagnose the issue better.

Also, scroll down on page to http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=485675 this thread. There may be some posts in there that might help you on the first page.

nwilliams
November 14, 2009, 02:14 AM
Never had a problem with my SLR-95.

They do have very light triggers as far as AK's go but I doubt that would have cause it to go full auto.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the bolt was going back far enough to cause the hammer to lock back, which would cause it to slam fire.

my762buzz
November 14, 2009, 02:16 AM
Luckily I had only two rounds left in the 5-round mag I was using when it happened the first time, after that I'd only load two rounds in it as it happened two more times after that.
The rifle is mostly stock, I replaced the thumbhole furniture with the U.S. made parts kit to include a U.S. made interior part (hammer?). I have also installed the Ultimak rail tube. Other than that the rifle is stock and I have never had this issue before.
I had taken it to the range to sight in the red dot with the wolf 122gr jhp steel-cased rounds only to realize I had brought 123gr fmj's. So I fired about 40 rounds of the fmj's with no problems. I then went home and got the 122gr. jhp's that I plan to use for hunting and returned to the range to sight them in.
I believe it was the second full mag in the 5-round polymer mag I was using, and as I slowly squeezed the trigger two rounds went out before I knew what happened. I stopped and looked around to see if anybody else at the range had noticed as full-auto fire is prohibited. Then I removed the cover, spring, piston/carrier assembly and looked inside. Everything appeared normal and I worked the trigger while holding the hammer to see how things were functioning.
I looked like the hammer could slip past the catch if the trigger was held just right, so as I fired afterwards I conciously and deliberately squeezed the trigger all the way through and it functioned normal. It seemed that when I took my time and squeezed the trigger slowly and felt for the sear to release is when the rifle would go auto. I couldn't tell if that was what was happening or if it was slam-firing.
But anyway I'm not sure what to do with it and feel rather nervous about using it again until this issue is resolved.
If the firing pin did not stick in the forward position, it might be a broken or worn
disconnector spring.

John Parker
November 14, 2009, 07:55 AM
Want to sell it?

TexasRifleman
November 14, 2009, 09:21 AM

Quite possibly you are bump firing without knowing it from your description, due to worn parts.

I have a Garand that was like that. If I didn't make a "snappy" positive movement of the trigger I would get a "double" now and then, but it's not really a double, it's that I was bump firing due to the sear barely engaging. Had it repaired and the guy I took it to said it wasn't slam firing, I was just right on that perfect spot when it would fire and the recoil would move the trigger just enough to reset and do it again, making me think it was doubling.

Still bad, but I wouldn't speak of "full auto" :)

Straight to a gunsmith with you, don't risk any legal BS over it.

rbernie
November 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
Quite possibly you are bump firing without knowing it from your description, due to worn parts.
I concur. Were I you, I'd just drop a G2 FCG into it and refresh the springs, strictly as a PM measure, and be done with it.

wally
November 14, 2009, 05:47 PM

I concur too especially if its a double and not a mag emptying burst.

I doubled my Saiga conversion the first time I shot it as I was shocked by how light and crisp (by AK standards) the G2 trigger was ("smoothed" by Dinzag).

--wally.

amprecon
November 15, 2009, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure if it was doubling because there were only two rounds in the mag when it did it. The first time it just so happened to be only two rounds left. After that first time I only loaded two at a time in case there was something wrong so I didn't end up unloading a full mag down range.

If you enjoyed reading about "SLR-95 Doubled Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!