Dog attacked my dog - could have been much worse.

PDA

Spark
January 20, 2003, 12:28 AM
Well, my wallet is $240 lighter this weekend after a visit to the emergency vet. My 30lb Boston Terrier was attacked this weekend by a 90lb Rottweiler and has punctures all over his head.

We were just getting ready to go out for a walk and had stepped out of our apartment to head down the stairs. Our downstairs neighbor apparrently had his dog off the lead - because his dog comes charging around the corner, up the stairs, and latches on. I took a step back, dragging Bud back towards the apartment, but the Rott was already on him.

Buddy, being the warrior he is, didn't retreat at all - he was on the attack the entire time, trying to give back just as good as he was getting. But, when your head is the size of a softball, and the other guy's is the size of a basketball, you are at a slight disadvantage. After the blood was cleaned up, it turns out Bud's got 5 nice sized puncture wounds on the exterior head, and his mouth has some cuts as well - fortunately nothing is too serious but he's going to be on antibiotics for a while. I had my digital camera home, so I took plenty of pictures.

In the aftermath, I couldn't help but think that if I'd had been armed, there would be a dead Rott - and God knows what else. I was genuinely in fear for Bud's life, not to mention my own. Thankfully, it doesn't look like there's going to be permanent damage - and we'd just exited the apartment. Had we been downstairs, it would have been much worse.

The downstairs neighbor, being the upstanding citizen he is, is trying to wiggle out of paying for the vet bill. So, I'm calling the apartment complex, animal control, and his CO (he's a E7 recruiter) this week.

Anyone familiar with Florida law enough to make a recommendation on what to do should I be in this situation again? I can't imagine that using lethal force to defend your dog would be acceptable to the police; but if it's mauling your dog unprovoked, I'd say it's a valid concern that you are next on the menu.

Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog attacked my dog - could have been much worse." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
January 20, 2003, 12:36 AM
In Kal. they SUE for damages.:)

Triad
January 20, 2003, 01:06 AM
I can't imagine that using lethal force to defend your dog would be acceptable to the police; but if it's mauling your dog unprovoked, I'd say it's a valid concern that you are next on the menu.
I think you would be fully justified in killing an animal that is attacking yours and I imagine the police would agree with me(in most places anyway.) Unless you meant using it against the owner...;)

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 01:17 AM
The sergeant is responsible for what his dog does. His CO will make him pay the monetary damages.

The dog being off the leash is another matter entirely, and it wouldn't matter if he was on the leash when he attacked Buddy. The sergeant is still responsible.

I'm glad Buddy survived and you didn't get hurt! He's going to need a lot of TLC!

MitchSchaft
January 20, 2003, 02:38 AM
and his CO (he's a E7 recruiter)

Yowsers :eek:. If his CO does nothing, move up the chain of command all the way to your Congressman :D. They'll both get in trouble!

tomkatz
January 20, 2003, 02:50 AM
I came close to pulling the trigger on a pit bull that attacked my friends blue heeler on Saturday, all of a sudden my shepherd jumps the pit bull, the heeler grabbed him by the throat and they both tore up the bully. I'd really like to know the law in that situation as I was 1 second away from shooting the attacker. Glad your dog will be o.k.....tom
ps....both our dogs are really big sweethearts, I'm still kind of amazed at the way they took care of that pit....

swingset
January 20, 2003, 03:13 AM
I shot a wild dog in our area that tried to attack my dalmation. Sam's pretty old, and can't really duke it out like he could, and this big old, nasty cross-bred thing was barking him down from 20 feet away. I was very lucky in that I was coming back from shooting and still had two guns on the back porch in their cases. I took the m1 carbine out as I had a loaded mag in my bag and loaded it up and went running towards them hoping just seeing me coming would scare the mutt, but he stopped barking and charged Sam. Sam and him bit at each other a couple times, and luckily were perpendicular to me so I had a fast, easy shot without risking hitting my dog. I shot it from 10 feet away, and at first I thought I missed cause it didn't relent at all, just kept biting at Sam. Finally, sam wheeled around near me and I shot again, this time I saw spray near the dog's neck, and it went down. Another shot finished him and when I checked, all three had got him all near the chest/neck.

I felt crummy cause it's a dog, and I wondered if it was someone's pet, but judging from the smell of it, I'd say it's a "roamer". Too bad, but I'd shoot a person who attacked my Sam!

Kahr carrier
January 20, 2003, 04:12 AM
Glad your okay,one word Sue.;)

Difranco
January 20, 2003, 04:39 AM
I came close to pulling the trigger on a pit bull that attacked my friends blue heeler on Saturday, all of a sudden my shepherd jumps the pit bull, the heeler grabbed him by the throat and they both tore up the bully. I'd really like to know the law in that situation as I was 1 second away from shooting the attacker. Glad your dog will be o.k.....tom

It depends, had the dog been on yours or your friend's property attacking you or your dog, he is considered a vicious dog and maybe put down. I know of a CA Corrections officer who had to do this very thing.

You are lucky your dogs got so lucky with that bull. Last Pitbull I had took down a Cougar and got after a black bear another time.

Drjones
January 20, 2003, 04:39 AM
Spark! Howya doin? I used to be at BF all the time. Still go by occasionally....

Anyhow, being in FL with CCW permits easy to get, WHY weren't you armed??? :confused:

What if the rott had gone after YOU first instead of your dog?:uhoh:

TheeBadOne
January 20, 2003, 06:08 AM
You may or may not have a worry with LE, but I think your biggest concern would be the good old fashioned lawsuit. People are very emotional about their pets and if you kill one expect to be sued. I'm not saying right/wrong/indifferent, just expect to be sued.

1goodshot
January 20, 2003, 07:16 AM
I pulled my gun on 3 german Shepard's that had surrounded me and my dog while I was walking him, the owner came out just in time.I was ready to kill one of them then let my dog take care of the other two.

Matt G
January 20, 2003, 07:28 AM
In the aftermath, I couldn't help but think that if I'd had been armed,...

Um, Spark? Why weren't you armed? :confused:

Kentucky Rifle
January 20, 2003, 08:13 AM
I've traded e-mails on BF with you too.
I hate it that the Rott's owner is trying to "wiggle out" of paying the Vet bill. You could try Small Claims Court. (Especially since you've got those pictures.) Here in frozen Kentucky, I know several people who have been very satisfied with that route.
It's a shame, but it is also Florida. You need a "dog walking gun" for your pocket. Every night when my wife walks our dogs, she has a light Taurus Ti revolver in her pocket.

KR

Jeff OTMG
January 20, 2003, 08:30 AM
You have given the Rott owner a chance to do right. He has elected not to so you must take other action. Hopefully you have notified animal control. If it is like OKC where you are, you can file to have the animal declared dangerous. With any luck this isn't its' first problem and the dog will be taken from the owner and put to sleep. If not, at least it will be destroyed if it happens again. Also file a complaint with your local PD for assault, you might be able to prosecute criminally if the dog can be determined to be a weapon. Go to the apartment manager. They have money and are responsible for allowing the tenant to keep a dangerous animal. Demand them to pay and sue the apartment leasing company for failure to properly control their tenants. At the very least your neighbor is going to be evicted. Consult an attorney. They should work on contingency if they know the deep pockets of a property management company are up for grabs. One other thing, you don't show what state you are in so we can all assume that you are in one of the majority of states that allows you to CARRY A GUN!!!! Do it!

Dad-Gummit
January 20, 2003, 09:05 AM
Yes, in Fl you are eligable for compensation. Did you miss any work? If so then the Rot owner is liable for those to. You really don't need to hire an attorney for this one, but call the police to file a report. Creat a paper trail, and go down to small claims and get yourself a court date. Be sure that you do fill a report with the police, and make sure that you do mention how you fear for your own personal safety(make it up if you have to). This will CYA if you have to dispatch the rot on a future encounter. DO NOT get into a pissing contest with the rots owner-emotions over a pet can esculate-you have the courts on your side-use them. I can't stress upon you again-document everything, in small claims he who has the most paper wins.

Steel
January 20, 2003, 10:26 AM
whenever I walk my dog or my baby (stroller), or go running, I carry my old Asp baton or a home-made kusari-fundo (nylon, with 3/4" nuts as the weights) -- a strike across the bridge of a dog's nose is a remarkable deterrent). Some time I carry one those Sjamboks that Cold Steel sells -- a lightweight pain machine!

i.e.
http://acl.okstate.edu/users/erikm/ninja/kusari-fundo.html

http://www.osograndeknives.com/Cold%20Steel/cold_steel_-_sjamboks.htm

2dogs
January 20, 2003, 10:27 AM
Glad your dog is OK. Amazing how the little fellas will stand up to the big ones if they have to, I guess they don't recognize a no win situation.;)

Just as an aside- there may be a TN LEO looking for a job soon, experienced dog shooter, prefers shotgun. Or maybe Rosie O'Donnell's body guard?:neener:

justice4all
January 20, 2003, 10:55 AM
don't know if it would've helped, but I carry pepper spray when out with my dog for just this sort of occurrence. Of course, with dogs, fights can sometimes start in the blink of an eye.

I'd rather shoot a dog only after I've failed to stop it with spray, if at all possible.

Kentucky Rifle
January 20, 2003, 11:51 AM
DadG. put a good post there about remembering to file a police report. And it sounds like he know's his stuff regarding "The Paper Trail" too.

Jeff's right also. Carry a gun! It's a bad, strange, and frustrating thing~~However you only seem to NEED one when you aren't CARRYING one. Murphy and all, I reckon. I've had a couple of Boston Terriers. One was stolen. (You can't IMAGINE how MUCH that pissed me off!) The second one was different. If anybody had tried to steal THAT one, they'd have been dissuaded pretty quickly. (And "bloodily". :what: )

KR

80fl
January 20, 2003, 12:15 PM
Spark:

I'm glad your pup's okay. I hope you can recover damages. But as to Jeff’s suggestion:

Go to the apartment manager. They have money and are responsible for allowing the tenant to keep a dangerous animal. Demand them to pay and sue the apartment leasing company for failure to properly control their tenants. At the very least your neighbor is going to be evicted. Consult an attorney. They should work on contingency if they know the deep pockets of a property management company are up for grabs.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff:

You are so wrong on so many levels.
#1: Exactly why do you think that the Apartment manager/owner/etc. automatically "has money"?

#2: Exactly why is it the aforementioned manager/owner/etc. responsibility to be held responsible for their tenant’s actions?

#3: Exactly why should he automatically go after the "deepest pockets" instead of the party at fault?

This is the typical liberal knee jerk (with emphasis on "jerk") reaction to societal problems; "The other guy is at fault".

Am I to deduce from your attitude on this topic that you think it's okay to sue gun manufacturers and tobacco companies?

Please...I also think Spark should be able to cover his costs on this thing, but not on the back of an innocent party, just because said party has alleged "deep pockets".:banghead:

Gila Jorge
January 20, 2003, 12:42 PM
In Texas there would have been one dead Rott...!
Maybe save the final bullet for Rott's Attorney.
We simply don't tolerate attacks of that nature.
Maybe in **********....you sue...here we shoot..!

4v50 Gary
January 20, 2003, 12:45 PM
Glad the dog is OK. Dad-gummit gives some good advice (document & sue) as does Mitchshaft (call his CO if he refuses to voluntarily pay and if the CO does nothing, take it up the chain of command). Sounds like E-7 needs a lesson in responsibility.

2nd Amendment
January 20, 2003, 02:32 PM
Seems to have been the weekend for dog attacks. My sister wanted me to let her Pitts out of the house while she was gone over the weekend. No problem, says I, they both know me and the female is nothing but an overgrown lapdog anyway.

But the male. I always have kind of wondered about him. Nothing overt, just that uncomfortable feeling, especially since I had to pull the two apart a while back. Well, this time he decided he wanted a piece of me. Bit my left arm and I kneed him in the chest. SOB went around behind me and grabbed my right arm near the wrist. Adrenaline must have been flowing good by then because I generally have little power or control with my left arm but I sucker punched him between the eyes and literally laid him out. Hurt my knuckles worse than his bites hurt my wrists. :D

He was real polite afterwards but I told her next time I won't leave the pea-shooter in the truck and she will be missing a dog if it happens again.

DeltaElite
January 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
This score just in.
Delta Elite 1
Rotty 0

Jeeper
January 20, 2003, 03:10 PM
I think that most if not all states have a strict liability regarding animals. Basically the attacking animal is ALWAYS at fault with very few exceptions. Most states also have statutes about animals being on leashes. Check if your apartment complex has a similar rule. You should:

File a police report
Give a report to the apartment manager
File a small claims suit if you want less than $5K.

You will undoubtedly win. Very easy case with or without a lawyer.

If this person has had their dog off the leash before and the apartment manager knows it then you also have a great case against the apartment themselves. Ask the apartment manager if anyone has ever seen this dog loose before or reported it. Rottweilers are in the classification of "fierce" dogs that make it even better for your case. I would talk to the guy first and tell him what you are doing and see if he will handle it like a man.

Thad Coyne
January 20, 2003, 04:34 PM
Glad your dog is ok. It is my understanding that you are allowed to protect your animals from attack. If you had killed the Rott unlawfully, you would be civilly liable for the dollar value of the animal. I love dogs and would prefer not to kill one, but wouldn't hesitate to do so if my dogs were attacked and it was necessary. If you are able to manage it, lift the hind legs of the aggressor dog off the ground, kinda hard for them to fight that way, but you may get bitten. I have done that to my dog on a couple of occasions at the dog park when other dogs unwisely tried to pick fights with one of my Ridgebacks and were unprepared my dog's counterattack. I would not want my dog killing someone's pet, even if the other dog "started it".

DVC,

Thad Coyne
Indianapolis

Spark
January 20, 2003, 05:35 PM
Good responses so far. A couple answers to questions thus far -

1. I wasn't armed because - well, I don't have a good excuse. It was daylight, I haven't gotten around to getting my CCW, and I was just taking him down to the bushes. Talk about a lesson learned. Yes, I have pepper spray. Yes, I have an ASP. Yes, I was in Condition White exiting the front door. Mea Culpa. I'm carrying my ASP from now on.

2. There was no way I was going to go around the Rottweiler to lift it off the ground. I was more preoccupied with extracting Buddy from it's jaws and retreating back into the apartment. This incident literally lasted all of 30 seconds from start to finish.

3. Regarding small claims court, yes that is an option... however they have scuffled in the past, with a particularly amusing incident involving Buddy biting the Rott in his 4th point of contact, and hanging there suspended until I could remove him. Granted, that doesn't excuse the current attack, but it does go to previous instances.

Past getting the money back for the Vet bill, I don't want to do this guy any more damage than I have to... but if he wants to be a dick, then he's going to get what he deserves.

Here's a pic of the Bud-man for you guys - you can see how vicious he is pretty clearly.

Spark
January 20, 2003, 05:36 PM
Here's one of him while we were waiting at the vet - we most of the wounds are in the black part of his fur so they don't show up well, but you can see the blood where we wiped away most of it.

There's a lump by his right ear (look at the edge of his head at the top) where there's the biggest puncture wound. The other wounds are in the black fur around his eyes and the white fur on his nose.

Poor guy has been shaved now around the wounds - now both of us have tons of scalp showing. :D

Jeff OTMG
January 20, 2003, 11:02 PM
Well, let's see:

You are so wrong on so many levels.
**** I didn't realize I got into very many levels, but oh well.

#1: Exactly why do you think that the Apartment manager/owner/etc. automatically "has money"?
**** The manager himself will not necessarily have money, but the owner/property management company WILL have liability coverage. If not, which I cannot imagine, that would mean the the property does NOT have a lien against it. Any mortgage holder would require insurance, so if it isn't insured then the property is owned outright and has value which can be attached. That is what I think. You disagree, so please provide an explanation why I am incorrect.

#2: Exactly why is it the aforementioned manager/owner/etc. responsibility to be held responsible for their tenant’s actions?
**** The management is responsible for its' own negligence. If you own a piece of property and you do not take precaution to protect people on your property then you are liable for damages. If you leave a skateboard on your front porch and someone trips on it, you are liable. If you have a dog and it bites someone, you are liable. If you leave an 'attractive nuisance' accessible on your property and someone is injured, you are liable. It was not the action of a tenant that the property management is responsible for, it is its' own action for permitting a dangerous animal to be kept on the premises where it could present a danger to other people who also have access to the property. This is often the reason that property management does not permit firearms in high density housing developments. As much as we hate to admit, many gun owners are not careful and even some posters here have had AD's. If the management allows firearms on the premises and those guns are discharged in an unsafe manner, should someone be injured the property management could easily have some level of contributory negligence for permitting the possession of a firearm by an unqualified person. You disagree, so please provide an explanation why I am incorrect.

#3: Exactly why should he automatically go after the "deepest pockets" instead of the party at fault?
**** They should go after the PARTIES at fault. He should go after the property manager not only for monetary damages, but to have the persons lease terminated IMMEDIATELY thereby putting them on the street or into a position of incurring great expense and/or inconvienence. This will also make it extremely difficult for them to get a reference for another lease. As far as deep pockets, there is a chance that the dog owner is pretty worthless and Spark has incurred some expense through no fault of his own. The property management has some level of negligence here, IMO, for allowing the tenant to have a dangerous animal on the premises. Therefore they must accept some percentage of the damages incurred by Spark.

**** Now, it seems that all my responses addressing your post regard a level of negligence on the part of the property management. Where, exactly, am I wrong 'on so many levels?'

"This is the typical liberal knee jerk (with emphasis on "jerk") ....."

***** This would seem to imply that you believe me to be a 'liberal' and 'jerk'. Moi? A liberal? Not even close. As far as the 'jerk' comment, though not a moderator, I refer you to http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html Specifically:
'4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer. '

Note how I am attacking your statements, not you.

"Am I to deduce from your attitude on this topic that you think it's okay to sue gun manufacturers and tobacco companies?"

**** And what, exactly, would lead you to deduce that? Please point out where I mention gun manufacturers or tobacco companies or elude to any industry whatsoever. Any thought process would be helpful here as well to tie in negligence of a service company compared to a manufacturing company.

For the record, I do not believe that a company can be held responsible for the 3rd party MISUSE of a product, UNLESS the company has made statements or actions contrary to fact or safety which would promote misuse. In this respect gun manufacturers and tobacco companies are completely different. By suing a gun manufacturer, one is suing for the ILLEGAL misuse of a product. By suing a tobacco company, one is suing for resultant damages from the intended LEGAL use of the product. If the tobacco companies admit to health complications resulting from smoking then the smoker has made an informed decision to smoke. If he dies as a result of that, the smoker has sole liability for making a bad decision. If the tobacco company tells the smoker that there is no harm in smoking, or even that it is healthy, the company then does have some liability, IMO, for deceiving the user of the product. If a gun manufacturer claimed that the product is harmless and people shot each other thinking that no damage would occur, the manufacturer would be liable for misleading the customer and liable for the damage that information caused.

Please...I also think Spark should be able to cover his costs on this thing, but not on the back of an innocent party, just because said party has alleged "deep pockets"

**** Once again, IMO the property management company is partially responsible for allowing the tenant to keep a dangerous animal on the property without taking any precautions to protect other tenants.

I anxiously await your hopefully enlightening and lucid response with explanations.

tex_n_cal
January 20, 2003, 11:49 PM
Hmmm...it would be tough for me to shoot a Rott, as I like them so much. Mine were big babies. A child once jumped on Mauser's back, and he just turned and slurped the kid's face. The father and I started breathing again a moment later.

One deranged cocker spaniel once attacked me in my front yard. It was so focused on me it neglected to see my German Shepherd(who could pin both Rotts in the corner). She changed the spaniel's attitude with one bite.

Give the Rott's owner a letter stating that if he does not pay the vet's bills, you will take legal action. A letter usually gets more attention than talk.

Bostonterrier97
January 21, 2003, 01:09 AM
I am glad to hear that your Boston will be ok.

http://home.att.net/~Clemantine/donttouch.jpg

Dad-Gummit
January 21, 2003, 09:29 AM
Spark-please file a report with the police about this incident, and please state a concern for your own safety. It does not make you less a man or anything-your vet will assist you in the details if needed. This does not mean that you are filing charges against the rot owner, it just gives you a little back-up. If you do send the rot owner a letter-certified, return reciept. State facts only-do not make any threats-include vet bill and request reponse by x date. Please include part in cert letter that you also fear for your safety, but will be satisfied with vet bill and legal restraining of the dog.
I can tell that you really don't want this to go any further,and you request for vet bills only, is way above board on your part. I hope that the rot owner will see that you are more than willing to put this incident behind you. I had a lab that use to get out of my fence(untill the electric fence was installed) and would terrorize other dogs in my area. My first response to the owner was an apology and an offer to pay vet bills or at least to take their dog to my vet for a check up. Yes it cost me some money-but it saved me from getting sued or getting rid of my dog.
Hope this helps a little-OBTW-what city in Fl?

80fl
January 21, 2003, 11:25 AM
Jeff:

**** The manager himself will not necessarily have money, but the owner/property management company WILL have liability coverage. If not, which I cannot imagine, that would mean the the property does NOT have a lien against it. Any mortgage holder would require insurance, so if it isn't insured then the property is owned outright and has value which can be attached. That is what I think. You disagree, so please provide an explanation why I am incorrect.

I am not disputing whether this particular person has wealth or insurance. I don't know and neither do you. YOU make the assumption that a person who would own an Apartment Building automatically has a higher level of wealth than the "average Joe".
This is just another example of class envy that does not address liability in this instance.

**** The management is responsible for its' own negligence. If you own a piece of property and you do not take precaution to protect people on your property then you are liable for damages. If you leave a skateboard on your front porch and someone trips on it, you are liable. [/quote]

YOU are assuming that the management not only knew there was a dog there, but further, KNEW that this dog presented an undue risk to other tenants.
I care NOT to make that assumption. Not ALL dogs are a menace.
It is NOT the apartment bldg. owners’ responsibility to "protect" the tenants, as you seem to feel: If you own a piece of property and you do not take precaution to protect people on your property
It is the owners’ responsibility to provide a reasonable level of protection within his ability. Using your argument of firearms in an apartment bldg., would YOU hold the owner responsible for a domestic dispute that ended with a neighboring tenant injured?
An example of the owners’ responsibility would be a dead tree limb that he refused to cut down. If said limb fell and injured someone, then yes, the owner WOULD be responsible.

it is its' own action for permitting a dangerous animal to be kept on the premises

Please, if you will, define what constitutes a "dangerous" animal?
Would a Jack Russell Terrier fall under your guidelines? How about a cat that is not de-clawed? Or a Hamster that could escape from a cage, thus causing a fall down the stairs of a neighbor who was startled? Or maybe a bird that flew out of a window, landing on a car hood, thus causing an accident?
Please, Jeff, tell me where the apartment building owners liability ends.

As much as we hate to admit, many gun owners are not careful and even some posters here have had AD's. If the management allows firearms on the premises and those guns are discharged in an unsafe manner, should someone be injured the property management could easily have some level of contributory negligence for permitting the possession of a firearm by an unqualified person.

As much as we hate to admit it, Jeff, many home cooks are not careful, and even some posters here have had stove top grease fires and microwave accidents. If the management allows home cooking on the premises and those kitchen appliances are used in an unsafe manner, should someone be injured the property management could easily have some level of contributory negligence for permitting the possession of kitchen appliances by an unqualified home cook. LOL I'm sorry Jeff, what was your argument again?

"This is the typical liberal knee jerk (with emphasis on "jerk") ....."

***** This would seem to imply that you believe me to be a 'liberal' and 'jerk'. Moi? A liberal? Not even close. As far as the 'jerk' comment, though not a moderator, I refer you to http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html Specifically:
'4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer. '

MODERATOR....MODERATOR....IS THERE A MODERATOR IN THE HOUSE?

Okeedokey then. What I was referring to in my "knee jerk" comment was just that. If someone acts in a "knee jerk" manner, then yes, I feel emphasis on the word "jerk" is in order. It's up to you to define your position on this one.

**** And what, exactly, would lead you to deduce that? Please point out where I mention gun manufacturers or tobacco companies or elude to any industry whatsoever.

The "industry" you are referring to is the Income Property Industry. You seem to feel, based on your initial argument as well as your rebuttal, that a person or entity that owns residential rental property has the obligation to "protect" its tenants for a very wide variety of potential problems.

For the record, I do not believe that a company can be held responsible for the 3rd party MISUSE of a product

For the record then, why do you feel the owner is responsible for THIS 3rd party misuse of a product (i.e. habitat)?

**** Once again, IMO the property management company is partially responsible for allowing the tenant to keep a dangerous animal on the property without taking any precautions to protect other tenants.

It really gets down to the definition of a "dangerous" animal, and did the owners know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that this animal was indeed "dangerous".
If you were the owner of an overweight Beagle, you would be on the board howling in complaint when the apartment owners kicked you out because their new policy is "No Dangerous Animals", including ALL DOGS. LOL

The White Flyer
January 21, 2003, 11:45 AM
Been there done that, and have the T-Shirt to prove it. The APT management company will do nothing, and have nothing for you. I'm sure it's in the lease agreement that you're on your own. You gave the guy a fair chance to take responsibility, and to date, has not taken step one. It is up to you to go through the channels. File a Police/Animal Regulation complaint. Record with photos (as you have), and ask him to cover the bill one last time. If not (and I'm assumiing he won't), this becomes a civil matter for small claims court. The down side (for him) is they could possibly take the animal away. Irresponsible owners of biting dogs will always lose. Good luck and I'm sorry to hear about Bud.

rock jock
January 21, 2003, 11:59 AM
*Sigh* It's a dog-eat-dog world.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog attacked my dog - could have been much worse." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!