Non Dillon dies in a Dillon 550B

PDA

Pilot
November 15, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have a Lee single stage press and a lot of Lee dies. I am thinking about going "progressive" (not politically, just for reloading). Can I use my Lee dies in a Dillon 550B or will I have to buy Dillon dies?

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Non Dillon dies in a Dillon 550B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
November 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
I use many Lee Dies in my 550B.

F_L
November 15, 2009, 01:10 PM
I use Lee dies in a Dillon 450. The dies are not long enough to engage the locking ring with the rubber O-ring in place. My solution was to take out the O-ring and flip the locking ring over. Locks just fine. I have heard of people putting the locking ring below the tool head. I din't like that as it contacted the shell plate.
Fred

Floppy_D
November 15, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yup, Lee's fine. Almost all dies today are the same size and are interchangeable. You are gonna need the shellplate, locator buttons and powder funnels for each caliber. Here's a chart (http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html) to show you which ones you need.

Pilot
November 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Guy. Great info! I am looking forward to cranking out ammo a lot faster now. The new press may be a Christmas present to myself. :evil:

Sport45
November 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Sure you can. I load several cartridges on my 550b and don't own a single Dillon die.

rfwobbly
November 15, 2009, 10:25 PM
I use Lee dies in a Dillon 450. The dies are not long enough to engage the locking ring with the rubber O-ring in place. My solution was to take out the O-ring and flip the locking ring over. Locks just fine.

Or you can buy the Dillon 1" lock nuts in batches of 10. The 550 die holder is so small that a smaller lock nut of some sort really is needed. The Hornady versions with 2 flats work well too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Non Dillon dies in a Dillon 550B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!