best varmit rifle for fox-coyote?

PDA

flinter4deer
November 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
My future plans are for a AR flattop,have an Oly arms lower to build on..would like something in bolt or singleshot as an extra piece...any comments? thanks;)

If you enjoyed reading about "best varmit rifle for fox-coyote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
If it doesn't have to match the AR in caliber?

A Sporter weight 22-250 Rem.

Kills coyotes like a death ray as far as you can see them.

rc

X-Rap
November 15, 2009, 06:18 PM
And makes for some sewing jobs on fox pelts. I don't hunt fox anymore but at reasonable distance the 223 is good on coyotes and not quite as explosive on fox. Bullet selection can alleviate some of the problem but sells off performance on the bigger dogs.
If in open country the 22-250 and 220 swift have no equal in.22 caliber.
If the range is shortened and damage is an issue I'd go for the .223 and maybe if starting out fresh I would pich the .204.

flinter4deer
November 15, 2009, 06:21 PM
dosn't matter with the AR as far as same .cal,sporter weight in 22-250 sounds good..is a heavy barrel gun worth the weight to carry afield?like you said as far as you can see,if your using a call they probably wouldn't be more that a few hundred yards out...

duck911
November 15, 2009, 06:29 PM
CZ 527 Kevlar in .204.

rcmodel
November 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
is a heavy barrel gun worth the weight to carry afield?NO, not in my opinion.

You can get a good light-sporter to shoot MOA or less, and thats good enough to kill coyotes at 500 yards. They are also faster & easier handling when calling in a brush blind.

The heavy barrels come into their own when firing extended strings at range targets or prairie dog towns, where a light barrel would over-heat sooner.

Coyote hunting or calling is most often a one-shot deal, with a lot of hiking between shots for the barrel to cool off!

rc

MJR007
November 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
Put a 25 wssm upper on it and match the bullets. Great deer set-up as well. I really like gray fox hunting.

Good luck.

Michael

MachIVshooter
November 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
If you're going to keep the pelts, a .243 or 6mm Rem. is perfect. I use a 6mm with 90 grain FMJ for coyotes. The rifle is a Ruger M77 22" sporter with a 4-12x44mm scope.

sarduy
November 15, 2009, 09:03 PM
Stevens-200 .223 or .308

rangerruck
November 16, 2009, 01:24 AM
if doing anything with skins, then the 204 is the only way to go. Otherwise, really anything nowadays, in a pencil bbl 223, is very nice. cost not being an object, the dude above is right on with the cz in 204, and it would be my choice in 223 as well. If not that, then a nice remmy sps , or a savage will fill the bill.

Art Eatman
November 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
No point to having a heavy barrel for fox or coyote. You won't shoot enough to heat the barrel. "Lighter totes easier."

My current pet for varmints is a Ruger 77 Mk II in .223. Light sporter. Great for prairie dogs, as well, I found. Half-MOA from the git-go, even before the Timney trigger installation.

I figure any equivalent bolt gun will do.

FWIW, I'm setting up a flat-top Colt AR with a 20" lightweight CMMG upper as a truck/coyote gun. Just a K4 at the moment, but it'll wind up with a 3x9 on top. One MOA from the benchrest, yesterday, sighting it in sorta hurriedly. Close enough for government work, for now.

X-Rap
November 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
Are the mini Mauser actions still being made? That would be a sweet thing to build up from. A buddy has one in 17 Cheetah that he had done yrs. ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "best varmit rifle for fox-coyote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!