My Yugo Mauser 24/47 Project!


PDA






nwilliams
November 16, 2009, 04:27 AM
So the other day I was at the gun shop and the manager there told me he had something I would probably be interested in. He knew I loved old milsurp rifles and said he was holding something for me in the back.

He went into the back of the shop and came out with a Yugo 24/47 with all matching numbers! Bolt, barrel, receiver, stock and everything else matches and he offered it to me for $199. I couldn't resist the temptation and had to bring her home, I had my project rifle.

The gun was in very good condition with no rust and a great bore and smooth action. The gun was however heavily saturated in cosmoline it took a good bit work to clean it up.

After spending a couple hours breaking the rifle down to every component and cleaning off all the cosmoline I could find I turned my attention to the stock.

I went to the grocery store and picked up five cans of heavy duty oven cleaner and some rubber gloves. When I got back home I spent the afternoon hard at work trying to get all the cosmoline out of the stock using the oven cleaner and boiling water.

Finally after letting it dry for a day the stock was bleached and I went to work with steel wool and went over all the wood to smooth it out. I then added a very light coat of linseed oil and after letting it dry I went over it once more with steel wool.

The final step was to use a single coat of wood stain. I decided to go with a color called Early American and I'm pretty happy with the results.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Yugo Mauser 24/47 Project!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nwilliams
November 16, 2009, 04:28 AM
Well here are the progress pics. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Original condition…..
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject2.jpg

After five cans of heavy duty oven cleaner and some boiling water…
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject3.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject4.jpg

Final result….
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject5.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/YugoMauserproject6.jpg

MrFox
November 16, 2009, 08:27 AM
I did that to a Turk with similar results. I used BLO and tung oil.

Nice work.

MichaelK
November 16, 2009, 12:08 PM
I used tung oil too on this Mauser. Paid 50$ years back for it. Had a friend weld the bolt for me for a case of beer. Did the recoil pad and scope mount myself.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/2005_gunsmithing_project.jpg

rocinante
November 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
I got a very nice 24/47 for 100. My stock was a little rougher than yours but the bluing and rifling was so perfect you could tell it went straight from rearsenal to the cosmoline. My stock is walnut and maybe its just the pics but yours looks like beech. I stripped it and finished it in european cherry and tung oil. Only other thing I have done is put a recoil pad on mine. Thinking about getting the bolt bent and putting a scope on it. Nice rifle IMO.

dirtyjim
November 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
looks good but i would have given it about two weeks to dry instead of just one day

If you enjoyed reading about "My Yugo Mauser 24/47 Project!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!