Mounting a silencer/suppressor on an 18" m14 type rifle

PDA

axxxel
November 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
If I buy an m14 type rifle with an 18" barrel, what do I have to think about when it comes to using a suppressor? It seems as if the gas plug/cylinder would get in the way.

Is it possible to use the iron sights while a suppressor is mounted?

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting a silencer/suppressor on an 18" m14 type rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
November 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Most of the supressors I have seen for the M-14 platform require a new muzzle device for attachment. I don't recall the last suppressed M-14 I saw that wasn't wearing optics.

RobMoore
November 16, 2009, 06:11 PM
Do you have subsonic .308 ammo that will cycle the heavy action of the M14?

Zak Smith
November 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
The standard muzzle threads on an M14 are problematic for suppressor mounting primarily because there is no shoulder behind them to tension the rear of the suppressor against. (It also doesn't help that the threads are very small and usually have a notch cut to time the front sight assembly.)

I haven't taken one apart, but it looks like even if it had a shoulder behind the threads, it would be pretty close to the gas plug.

If I were going to set up an M14 for suppressor use, I'd have a barrel cut specifically to accept the suppressor I wanted to use and/or its muzzle attachment.

A proper set up looks like this:
http://demigodllc.com/photo/TRG42AWSM/smaller/D100_4036_img.jpg (http://demigodllc.com/photo/TRG42AWSM/?small=D100_4036_img.jpg)
............... Larger version of above photo. (http://demigodllc.com/photo/TRG42AWSM/?small=D100_4036_img.jpg)

We did make a custom suppressor for an M14 collector that was similar to the old M14 Sionics suppressor (on a full length rifle) with a replica of its mount, but that is not a great solution either.

SharpsDressedMan
November 16, 2009, 07:47 PM
Subsonic ".308" (bore size) rounds are best handled by guns chambered for the .300 Whisper cartridge. This is easily accomplished by way of a dedicated upper for the AR platform rifles (much in use by our troops). I have owned and handled many .300 whispers in semi, full, and bolt configurations, and bothering to make a 7.62x51 battle rifle, or bolt gun, shoot subsonic is a waste of time. Better results come from a cartridge DESIGNED for .30 subsonic use.

Zak Smith
November 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think the O.P. was asking about subsonic rounds for the M14; however, I do agree with you.

desidog
November 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
Wait for H20Man to weigh in...it is my impression that he is well versed in this field; (far more so than me) but i would say that your best bet is to get a QD flash suppressor, like a Vortex, and you're in business. A threaded barrel has more potential to get damaged at some point.

As for the irons, it depends on the diameter of the can you're using... if you already own it that's one thing; if you're purpose buying, check the specs...that goes for the QD vs. threads too....

An M1A with a can is already running $3k+, so a good optic seems like a no-brainer addition to me to maximize your effectiveness.

Just remember that the standard stock does not do well with a scope, because you loose your cheek-weld, so a mod-stock or a cheek-pad will be on order.

axxxel
November 17, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'm thinking of getting an m14 type rifle and I'm just trying to see which version will be the most versatile for hunting. Where I live aquiring a suppressor isn't worse than getting a rifle.

My dream setup would be something like: 18" barrel, 2,5-10x trijicon with amber-mildot-reticle on a QD mount (are there any good, high quality mounts that can be removed from the receiver?) and a suppressor mounted on a QD flash hider.

By QD flash hider I mean a fh that let's you quick detach a suppressor from it, not a fh that let's you quick detach it from the rifle.

THe "direct connect" fh on this page, is that a fh of the kind mentioned above?

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html

If so, what kind of suppressor goes with it that is availible to civvies?

I'm not an anglophone by birth, excuse me if my replies get a little quirky.

Thanks

edit: If I buy this rifle I'll have access to just as much subsonic I want because I will be reloading. The silencer idea is to reduce hearing damage for me, my buddies and the hounds. And 'cuz tis wsome

highorder
November 17, 2009, 10:47 AM
If so, what kind of suppressor goes with it that is availible to civvies?

Good question. I get the impression you are not in the USA.

What are the laws and availability like in your country?

Darthbauer
November 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.surefire.com/suppressors

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting a silencer/suppressor on an 18" m14 type rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!