Best starter equipment

PDA

wolfe
November 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
I have thought about loading handgun rounds for a while now but don't know anyone that loads to get opinions on best equipment for a newbie.. I reload shotshells now but I know there is a HUGE difference as far as complexity and time.

What type of press and dies are relieable and easy to start with..

If you enjoyed reading about "Best starter equipment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rfwobbly
November 16, 2009, 11:48 PM
Welcome aboard!

All the presses made today are wonderful. All the dies made today are wonderful. I'm not kidding. You'd have to look very hard to find any junk in this hobby anymore. Most of the "iffy" products dropped by the wayside years ago.

Just like with automobiles, the differences in the price reflects the differences in the available features. And you generally get what you pay for. You may feel lucky not to have to walk to work, that is, you'd be "tickled pink" with a basic model. Basic models turn out great ammo. Or you may feel as if you positively have reached that point in life or career where you absolutely cannot do without heated seats and in-dash GPS. Nothing wrong with that. High end models turn out great ammo.

So you need to tell us 1) how much total money you want to spend getting started, and 2) how much ammo you want per week. Having that info would narrow things down quite a lot.

Having said that, allow me to point out that there are a lot of good used presses and starter kits for sale on CraigsList and Ebay. Most experienced reloaders would agree that novices should start slowly on a "single-stage" press, even if your goal was 1000 rounds per week. Be happy with a safe-to-shoot 200 rounds per week, while you hone your skills and study the hobby. Then work up to your higher goal after you understand what's going on. Ie, walk before you run.

So why used? Because you have a good chance of finding someone who has everything who will sell the entire room full of equipment, powder, primers, library and all. Whereas, if you bought new, you'd have a choice of 4 or 5 good kits, none of which contain ALL the accessories you need to get you started.

If you decide to buy new, then be sure and save back money for manuals, calipers, and dies.... not to mention powder, primers, and bullets.

Whatever you end up with, you're going to really love this hobby.

Hope this helps!

falldowngoboom
November 17, 2009, 12:01 AM
+1 to all that

I've always found this to be a good deal:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20728-cat20847&id=0003080216577a&navCount=1&podId=0003080&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

You would also need a good reloading manual, a set of dies, and a bullet puller to have everything you need to get started.

evan price
November 17, 2009, 02:42 AM
IMHO, I tell everyone who is starting out to skip the single stage press and go right to the Lee Turret presses. You can use them like a single stage, and when you are comfortable you can set the auto index and start building some speed.

FIRST THING to buy is a good reloading manual, such as the Lee book. There's a special deal out there that if you buy the Lee book it comes with a small press, free. It's a small press, but it is often quite useful for small chores.

For a good press, I would say the Lee Classic Cast Turret press would be ideal for a beginner. It is a 4-hole turret so you can use the 4-die set if you so choose. It is strong and large enough for most rifle rounds as well as any handgun.

Get the Lee Carbide Dies in the caliber you choose, with carbide dies, no need to lube the cases. The Lee dies come with the right size shell holder for the press.

Also, buy a Turret Plate for each caliber so you can leave them setup and a caliber change will take like ten seconds.

The Lee Auto Disk Pro powder measure works with the Lee dies and is a great piece of gear. It will automatically dispense the powder as the shell is in the expander die.

You'll need a powder scale to confirm that you are throwing what you think you are throwing in terms of powder weight.

You'll need an inexpensive dial caliper (Harbor Freight for less than $10) to measure OAL and bullet/case diameters.

The Safety Prime set works on the press to install primers.

Pick up a Bullet Puller hammer so that in case there is a mistake it can be dealt with quickly and safely.

Start saving things like coffee cans, peanut butter jars, etc. because they are great to store bullets, brass cases, etc in.

A brass tumbler and a media separator is nice to have, because clean brass reloads better. Also a few 3-5 gallon buckets to keep media and stuff in is nice, too.

jfh
November 17, 2009, 07:13 AM
I prefer to follow the advice set out by evan. It seems to me there is a branch in the gear-purchase flowchart of decision making early on. I see that branch as

If one is planning to do handgun cartridge reloading then
consider / purchase a Lee Turret Press, elsereview needs for other / rifle cartridge reloading.

There is no doubt all of us agree on the need for novice reloaders to learn the fundamentals one-step-at-a-time; hence the advice to work on one stage to learn the techniques for it. There are nominally seven steps or so to the metallic-cartridge reloading cycle; BUT the single-step workflow so valuable for learning does little to provide the volume of cartridges a handgunner shoots. As a shotgunner, you can appreciate that, I'm sure. As a consequence, many of us use and recommend the Lee Turret presses which can be used as a single-stage press at first, while learning the workflow, but then work as a "semi-progressive" with the auto indexing feature to boost production.

Lee products have the advantage of being cheap, compared to other brands--but not necessarily poorly made. So, it's an ideal way to start out, IMO.

Beyond that advice--most of us get tangled up in all other personal, more subjective issues, such as "quality"-"hobby"-"accurate"-"savings"-and-on-and-on. There's nothing wrong with those subjective 'influences' to the decision; they may even be more important than the press type. But, for the cheapest path into handgun reloading that will meet most needs, I'd look at the Lee Turret Press kits and the related items needed.

In addition to the Cabela's source, consider Graf & Sons or the Kempf Gun Shop--or MidSouth, or Midway, or ....there are numerous online sellers; google is your friend.

Jim H.

twice barrel
November 17, 2009, 07:51 AM
Wolfe,

All of the above posts are right on. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for anyone starting out; the Lee Classic Turret press accompanied with the Lee Safety Prime and Lee Pro Auto-Disc & riser, and the Lee 4-die set in the caliber you wish to load......is THE BEST DEAL.

Just purchased these myself because that is what I truly believe. The degree of function, quality, and price these provide is not matched by anyone else just now.

To be clear, these are not the highest quality I've seen, used, or owned but the difference isn't much and the utility is tops.

A good magnetic dampened beam scale is a long-term investment in my opinion. I prefer one with a metal base and wish I had my old RCBS 5-10 but the little Hornady I picked up used is pretty good. I haven't seen the Lee scale myself so I cannot say how it stacks up. I do know that more expensive does not always equal better.

Of the loading manuals I've used I liked the Hornady best. You don't need a bunch of them but you do need to truly read the one(s) you get and soak it all in. With your shotshell loading experience it will be a breeze.

Regards,

TB

wolfe
November 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
Saw This on Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081)

I'll check craiglist in my area.

Good info.. Sounds like Lee might be the way for me to go.

To answer a few questions. I don't have a real target to the number I want to load a week. Just interested in the activity and might shoot a little more if I didn't have to fork out the $$ for a box of 50...

I have several hands guns but don't shoot them much. Most likely start off loading 9mm

.380 Walther PPK
9mm Glock and Beretta 92FS
.357 Magnum Colt Python
.44 Magnum Colt Anaconda
S & W .500
S & W .38 special
.45 ACP Colt 1911
.45 LC Ruger Vaquero
and a S&W Model 41 that I realize I can't reload.. :)

jfh
November 17, 2009, 05:44 PM
What you linked to, wolfe, is the single-stage press kit that is much more suitable for rifle reloading, rather than handgun.

Probably the most buyer-friendly seller of the Lee Classic Turret press is Kempf's. Here (https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41) is a link to their page with that press set up in "kits."

If costs are a big issue, then look for the used gear or consider the older Lee 'standard' turret kit. I don't follow craigslist, but I understand that many lists are monitored by antigun zealots to prevent even reloading gear from being listed. e-bay, of course, has some listings, but look out for paying more than you need to in their auction as well as the shipping costs for e-bay sales. Here (http://thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50) is the link to THR's reloading sales forum.

Lest we get ahead of your questions, I will mention that of the handguns you own, the easiest cartridge to load for is the .45ACP for your 1911. In Revolvers, it would arguably be the 38 Special. The .45ACP is a low-pressure round, with a large case to handle. That alone makes it a bit easier to deal with than a 9mmP case.

Other questions, observations, just fire away--

Jim H.

ranger335v
November 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
"... opinions on best equipment for a newbie.. "

Fact is, all current equipment is very good, for both newbie or experienced and "normal" needs. The devoted enthusiest will need something that punches out a lot in a short time.

So, as suggested above, perlhaps the better question is what volume do you anticipate? Less than maybe 200 rounds a month? Single stage press. Maybe 200-500 rounds a month, get a Lee Classic Turret. More than 500 rounds a month, go for one of the progressives.

Or, get the single stage and learn to do it right before moving on to whatever higher volume press you may choose. The single stage press will still be useful for special tasks so it would not be a waste. Perhaps the best single stage of the conventional types today is the Lee Classic Cast, it is strong enough to do any rifle loading or case reforming you may ever need do. And the price is RIGHT!

jcwit
November 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
A consideration that may mean much to some and little to others is that LEE is not only an excellent product at a fair price, but its also made right here in the U.S.A.

gearheadpyro
November 17, 2009, 07:56 PM
+1 to all above.
The best starting press for moderate volume handgun shooters is the lee turrets, classic preferred. Pick that up, some lee dies, a lee powder measure etc...
The lee safety scale will work, it is accurate. However, it is difficult to read and a pain to zero. You would do well to either start out with or plan to replace soon with a better scale.

rfwobbly
November 18, 2009, 08:20 AM
What you linked to is the single-stage press kit that is much more suitable for rifle reloading, rather than handgun. Probably the most buyer-friendly seller of the Lee Classic Turret press...

+1

The Lee Turret Press is a much better way to go for a cost conscious handgun reloader. It will speed production of ammo, still handle rifle should you need, and the accessories and dies can move with you should you decide to get another press, in say, 5 years.

RVenick
November 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
I may get blasted for this but, I started with the Lee Pro 1000. At first I only did one round thru each stage but within a day or two I was loading progressively. The Pro 1000 has its quirks but once you understand them you can turn out a lot of good ammo I average about 175-200 rounds pre hour. About 2 weeks ago I bought the Lee Breech lock kit that wolfe linked to above as I wanted to start loading 35 Remington for my 336C. I am quite please with that kit also.

Kraylon
November 18, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have a lee challanger single stage press listed on eBay right now that I used for less then a year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/used-Lee-Challanger-Breech-Lock-Press_W0QQitemZ260508340570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca781d15a#ht_500wt_948

I also have 12 lee breech locks for this press listed on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Lee-Breech-Locks-Used-but-in-great-shape_W0QQitemZ260508349109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca781f2b5#ht_500wt_948

I will gladly give you or any one on here that wins the auction of uses buy it now free shipping. Just shoot me a pm or an email letting me know what your high road user name is after the auction ends and I'll take care of the shipping.

atblis
November 18, 2009, 09:16 AM
You might consider going with a progressive from the get go. But if you're just wanting to get a taste, the Lee kit will do that.

Joemyxplyx
November 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
+1 for the Lee Classic Turret

I started with the 4 hole Classic Turret and I'm glad I did. I learned to reload on the turret. I now have a single stage press and a full fledged progressive (LnL) press.

The primary reason for starting with the turret is immediate gratification. Four pulls of the handle results in a loaded round. I can load completed rounds on the turret until I load what I need or until I get tired of reloading for the evening.

With the single stage, you have to load a batch - say 50 - for each stage of the process. It goes like this: size and prime 50, powder charge 50, seat bullets in 50. If you get tired after powder charging 35 or so, you still have to complete the process or leave a block of cases partially done - a constant source of mischief and danger. Single stage presses have their places but I don't think it is for loading 2-300 pistol rounds for shooting tomorrow. Single stage loading for a pistol is a task for the obsessively compulsive. :)

Progressive loaders are for people who have gotten good with the turret don't want to do 4 strokes for a completed round anymore. Progressives are 1 stroke = 1 round.

Since the Classic Turret is about the same price as most other single stage presses, I think the turret decision is a no-brainer.

Shoney
November 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
I've loaded for 5 decades and have 4 presses, two single stage and two progressives. If I were to start out new today, I would get the Lee Classic Turret.

Here is a good place to look at a very good price on a Kit.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

These people come highly rated by members of this and other forums.

Walkalong
November 19, 2009, 07:07 PM
I started on a single stage, went to a Lee Turret, then a full blown progressive.

The Lee Classic Cast Turret press kits are by far the best bang for the buck getting started.

RustyFN
November 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Another happy Lee classic turret press owner. I have been loading on mine for over three years. I load 9mm, 38 spcl, 45 auto and 223. It's a good beginner press. Very easy to set up and use.

jcwit
November 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
I use 2 single stage presses side by side, one the small Lee reloader "C" press the other the Lee Classic "0" Cast press. With that said I highly recommend the Lee Turret press, have 2 of them and used to use them. Went back to using single stage just because its how I like to do it, and I enjoy doing reloading this way. Been doing it this way for the last 8/10 years.

Either way is a good way to start out.

brisendines
November 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
I got the Square Deal B from Dillon- pricey, but it sure is nice! I about pooped myself when I tried to load with a single stage rock chucker.

warnerwh
November 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
I also use 2 single stage presses. You can really speed things up if you use the Lee Safety Prime and Auto powder disk. For the Safety Prime you must use a Lee Press with holes already tapped.

I'll suggest the single stage start also. You want to have some practice so you know well what is going on. If money is an object the Lee Challenger is a decent press and will do all you need.

I'd never owned Lee stuff (except dies) I but am very pleased with both the Classic Cast and a used Challenger that cost 25 bucks. I enjoy reloading this way better than years ago when I had a Dillon 650 but I got married.

lgbloader
November 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you get tired after powder charging 35 or so, you still have to complete the process or leave a block of cases partially done - a constant source of mischief and danger. Single stage presses have their places

While I agree that single stage presses have their place, here is some food for thought:

If I don't have the required amount of time or my mind set is that I have "other things on my mind", I stay the hell away from assembling finished ammo. It's that simple. I can do other things such as brass work, priming brass with the hand primer, etc. but to actually assemble finished cartridges (powder charge and seat bullets) I have to be right upstairs and have enough time.

If I were to start out new today, I would get the Lee Classic Turret.

The Lee Classic Cast Turret press kits are by far the best bang for the buck getting started.

I agree,

LGB

Walkalong
November 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
Agreed. If you don't have the time or the focus to engage in it from start to finish, don't start until you do.

Joemyxplyx
November 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
If I don't have the required amount of time or my mind set is that I have "other things on my mind", I stay the hell away from assembling finished ammo. It's that simple. I can do other things such as brass work, priming brass with the hand primer, etc. but to actually assemble finished cartridges (powder charge and seat bullets) I have to be right upstairs and have enough time.

What I meant to say was it's easier to stop reloading at any time using a turret than using a batch process.

I usually set aside more than enough time to load my goal quantity, usually 400 rounds. However, in the last few weeks I find my shoulder or hand starts hurting part way through the process. My joints are protesting Ohio winters more and more each year. With a turret or progressive, I can stop loading pretty quickly. With a single stage batch process, I would have to finish the batch before I could quit. I think leaving a block of cases where only some of them are charged is just inviting trouble.

With a press that takes a case from start to finish for each round, pausing or quitting for whatever reason is a lot simpler process than with a single stage press. And on the other hand, if I feel good - maybe in a flow state with a good rhythm going - I will load another 2-400 rounds. I find it easier to start and stop with a turret or progressive. A batch loading process makes me feel controlled by the process rather than the other way around.

OTOH, a single stage is just right for decapping and resizing rile brass. Although I'm hoping the RCBS X-Dies will let me load rifle brass on the LnL AP.

wolfe
February 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
Finally did it.. Ordered the Lee Classic Turret press from Kempf's. Got a bullet puller, caliper, electronic powder scale and Lee loading manual 2nd edition...

Going to start off with .45 apc...

Wish me luck..

Do have one question. Looking at a powder loading chart I found online and one of the specs is C.O.I? What is C.O.I..??

jmortimer
February 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
You will love your Lee Precision Classic Turret Press. I believe it is C.O.L. not "I" - "cartridge overall length."

RustyFN
February 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
Congratulations. I think you will be very happy with that press.

lgbloader
February 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wolfe,

Congradulations... Drinks all around...

Don't forget to post your pics of your new bench on this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=218720

LGB

Redhat
February 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
Congrats...but before you start, I highly recommend you read the threads here about using that press...specifically how not to break the square ratchet!!!

rfwobbly
February 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Wolfe -
45ACP is an excellent cartridge to start with. It's low pressure and has a wide margin for error.

Make sure before your start that you have an accurate way to measure the powder and the physical dimensions. Good measurements are the key to safety in this hobby. This usually means obtaining a scale and a 6" caliper if they were not included in your kit.

Secondly, stick exactly to the recipes in your reloading manual. If it says Speer bullet ABC and Hodgdon power XYZ, then get those exact components. No improvisation on your first compositions.

Thirdly, write down every load you build, and after shooting it write down the results. Never rely on your memory for load info.

Hope this helps!

wolfe
February 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
Caliper and scale were not part of the kit but I bought one of each, plus a bullet puller and the Lee reloading manual 2nd edition..

Kind of excited..

Wife not so much.... :)

Is the starline brass any good? See it gets 5 star reviews on midway.com. Also suggestions inexpensive bullets? I am only planning on loading plicking shells..

jfh
February 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
1) Starline brass is some of the best you can get. However, used brass should be just fine, generally. I have some used brass I bought twenty years ago, and I suppose some of it has been reloaded fifty times--granted, a low-pressure target load--about 820 fps with a 200 LSWC.

2) Order some lower BHN (11?) bullets--230, 200--to try them out--from Missouri Bullet. Get some 231, and large pistol primers. You'll be good to go. I assume you did get a powder measure--e.g., the Lee (Pro) Auto disk, and the related riser, swivel, and maybe an adjustable charge bar?

Jim H.

brisendines
February 21, 2010, 10:36 PM
for 45 you need large pistol primers. I use unique powder, but there are many choices. I have used oregon trail cast bullets and barrys bullets. Both worked fine, and both are relatively inexpensive.

Frankl03
February 21, 2010, 10:53 PM
Great that you went with the Lee Classic Turret! Get a case gauge for each caliber you load for. It will save you allot of headaches! The case gauge measures head space of the cartridge to make sure it will fit in the chamber.

tasco 74
February 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
way to go wolfe.... lee is a great co as far as standing behind their products too... if your wife is not so excited see if she will learn to reload with you..... put your bench together,get a cd player, some cds you both like, and have her help.................... oh and be sure to tell her how much money you are saveing by loading your own ammo...............

life is short.....

wolfe
February 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
The wife comment was more of a joke. She just rolled her eyes at me....

I did switch the dies from 45 acp to 9mm as I enjoy shooting my 9mm more..

Case gauge? OK... I'll look into it.. Thanks..

Got the stuff UPS today (ordered it saturday) :)

Only complaint I have so far is that LEE didn't include the mounting bolts so I couldn't set it up tonight.. I'll have to do it tomorrow evening after I make a trip to the hardware store. :)

Now all I need is some brass, bullets and primers.....

bison
February 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
Congrats - I'm 2 weeks into my setup, the same you got from Kempfs (nice people there). I've loaded some 9mm and 30-06 so far, took a couple hrs for the first rounds and no time for the next ones! The only real problem I had with setup was getting the Safety Prime working right, it's kind of finicky. Also the ball on the lever fell off immediately (epoxy fixed that). I've been to Cabelas twice for more stuff, including a bunch of plastic shell boxes, a Lee Perfect Powder Measure (for rifle loads), a powder trickler, lube pad, etc. Gets expensive trying to save money!

BillCh
February 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
Congratulations,
You've now stepped out onto the slippery slope.

I've only been reloading for a relatively few years and now I don't consider a trip to the range worthwhile unless I have 250 rounds of .45 ACP with me to burn - and thats just for the 45!

Good luck
and you may as well order more bullets, primers and powder now.

B

AzBuckfever
February 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
I find this is a very informative video and I have learned a lot from it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I1i8Toj8E

LMAO :banghead:

wolfe
February 25, 2010, 07:43 AM
As of today the only complaint I have is the directions for installation of the primer add on and auto disk powder are terrible. Lee desperately needs someone to write them some decent installation instructions.

RVenick
February 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
As of today the only complaint I have is the directions for installation of the primer add on and auto disk powder are terrible. Lee desperately needs someone to write them some decent installation instructions.
Lee has some videos on their website that are good. If you can't find what you need there try searching YouTube.

wolfe
March 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
Well ladies and gentlemen I FINALLY got all the components I needed. Brass and bullets were easy but those damn primers were tough to find.

Loaded 20 the other night and shot those today without incident. So I loaded a 100 tonight..

I LOVE the classic turret thanks for all the good advice. One shell done before I start another one, etc Very easy.

The hardest thing was getting the bullet seating (sp) correct. After about 10 monstorously disasterous looking cartridges I got one with .002 of the OAL in the book.

Using 9mm brass
CCI small pistol primers
124 Grain FMJ bullet
4.3 grains of 700x powder (IMR) - same stuff I use for my shot shells...

Thanks again for all the help..

Already thinking about buying a couple more dies...

bds
March 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome aboard to reloading and now you are hooked for life! :D

lgbloader
March 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
I did switch the dies from 45 acp to 9mm as I enjoy shooting my 9mm more...

Awe.... C'mon now!!!....

Just kiddin'... well, okay not completely. What can I say... I'm addicted to 1911's, chambered in 45 ACP, of course.

LGB

mcdonl
March 11, 2010, 08:18 AM
Wolfe... I got into this so I could afford to shoot. My goal was to spend the money I had saved for a 1911 on reloading gear, and then start saving again but with the dream of being able to actually shoot the 1911....

Well... no one warned me of this. I have spent (Obsessively every penny I have on reloading and casting equipment!!) :)

I guess the good thing is, I now have every mold, die, powder, primers, etc to load for every gun I own and that means one thing... I need to buy another gun so I can get more reloading stuff!!

wolfe
March 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
That is some funny stuff....

Thanks for all the help.

Now I need to know what caliber to load next.... :)

GoHerdGreg
March 12, 2010, 09:42 PM
It looks to me like you made a good choice in reloading equipment.

I went with the Lee Anniversary Kit setup, as a cost-efficient way of slooooowly becoming a competent reloader. Once you spend the time to *really* figure things out, it becomes much easier with every round you crank out.

I absolutely LOVE spending an hour or two at the bench, paying attention to nothing other than what I am doing with my hands (and my brain). Great way to escape...

What caliber to load next? Easy.

Whatever caliber the next gun is that you are wanting. See? All this reloading stuff makes it SO much easier to convince the wife ("but honey, I'm sort of recycling things by reloading. MUCH cheaper. We're saving money!")

Works every time. ;)

lgbloader
March 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
Now I need to know what caliber to load next....

after almost 20 calibers of metallic cartridge and 12 g. shot shell (not to mention all the casting, getting set up to make my own gas checks, lubes and solvents.) I still ask myself the same damn question.

6? 22-250? trapdoor? 7.62x39? 22 Hornet? Dangit.

LGB

Walkalong
March 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
22 Hornet?Yep, I think you should do .22 Hornet next lgbloader. :D

jfh
March 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
Wolfe, you have to quit farting around with that .30-06, and get back to a real handgun cartridge--e.g., the .45ACP.

You are right, of course, about the Lee instructions for the measure. A google here, in this forum, on a term like "Lee measure" or "autodisk" ought to get you to some troubleshooting info.

So, you aren't trying to run 700X in the measure(s), are you?

Jim H.

wolfe
March 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
I am not load .30-06 I am loading 9mm and I think I might go with .45 acp next.

I saw a couple of pieces on Youtube that helped..

I have not had any problem running 700x in the measure.. Measured every 10 cartridges with no more than .01 variance.

Reason I load 700x is that is what I load shotshells with and I buy it in 4 lb bottles.
Shot 20+ rounds the other day and things felt good..

howlnmad
March 13, 2010, 09:45 PM
Get the Lee progressive press and if you don't like the way it performs I'll PM you my address. ;)

wolfe
March 14, 2010, 10:32 PM
I got the classic turret. Easy, easy easy to use..

I lke having one cartridge every 4 pulls...

wolfe
April 27, 2010, 01:06 AM
Have not shot alot of the reloads yet but with the ones I have shot I have had NO issues at all. Just like using 700x because that is what I load shotshells with and loading handgun cartridges then just seems like it is free because it is like 4:1 .

Someone mentioned a case gauge? How do they work exactly?

eptreyg
April 28, 2010, 07:10 AM
I noticed the lee classic turret does .223 Rem as well - would y'all recommend it for a complete novice who wants to start on rifle rounds?

Walkalong
April 28, 2010, 07:19 AM
would y'all recommend it for a complete novice who wants to start on rifle rounds?

Sure, as long as that novice has good attention to detail and follows diections well.

Walkalong
April 28, 2010, 07:23 AM
Someone mentioned a case gauge? How do they work exactly?You drop your sized brass or loaded round in them and they check critical dimensions by how they fit, or don't fit, the gauge.

atakawow
April 28, 2010, 10:40 AM
I wish I had a mentor to steer me away from the Lee anniversary kit. I didn't know any better and made the purchase. It works, no doubt about it, but I ended up replacing half of the stuff it came with.

The press is good and is still running strong. The Lee safety Prime works really well for me. I've heard horror stories about them but mine has been going well, not perfect, but more than good enough.

I cannot say the same for the Lee scale and the Lee perfect powder measure. Again, they both work, just not well enough. The Lee scale takes ages to balance, very difficult to adjust and read, and often times it would not move at all. The perfect powder measure is a piece of junk. It dispenses powder, but it is very very inaccurate. Basically it would not dispense the amount of powder set, I had to release the gauge to twice the amount listed just to get half the amount of powder. It's like a cat and mouse game. But once I figured out the right charge, it was good.

Yea, If I knew better, I would have purchased the items separately.

ATK

If you enjoyed reading about "Best starter equipment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!