Tikka and scope question......

PDA

viking499
November 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
My wife has a Tikka 243 T3 with a 4.5x14x40 Nikon Buckmaster on it. She is fairly new to hunting. She is having trouble picking out objects (acquiring) through the scope when looking. We have tried all magnifications, and of course, the lower works better, but then that defeats the purpose of increased magnification for her.

Questions is........Would a scope with a 50mm objective give a larger area to see from and give her a little help with the acquisition part? I have never looked through or used a 50 mm obj scope. What are the pros and cons of them?

Does anyone have one on a T3? Do they fit with the standard rings?

If a 50mm would help her a little, what scope do you all recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka and scope question......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
12many
November 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
What part of the aquiring of object is she having problems with? Is is just seeing object through a clear scope, or is it a problem getting good eye relief, or is the sight picture shaky, or is it hard to get centered on the scope . . . ? There is a lot going on so it is not easy to get a good sight picture.

Also, IMO a 4.5-14 is a pretty powerful scope. IMO 3x9 is most popular because it goes down to 3 power. When I would hunt, for most shots we did not even run it all the way up to 9 power. We would glass with 3 power to find game, zoom up to 9 power to investigate or look on far off slopes, and then often shoot around 3-5 power.

627PCFan
November 17, 2009, 10:30 AM
If shes truly having trouble coming on target because of the magnification (even at 3x) Im at a loss. I come ontarget @10x with my HMR by looking down the barrel at the target and then switching to glass.

If shes having trouble with eye relief, I think upgrading to a 50mm would compound the problem unless you got high quality glass with the appropriate amount of eye relief. If your running a 243, a 3x9 is more than sufficient, or a 2x7. Keep it simple.

I just did a test with my 7mm T-3 on Deadnuts stnd 1 peice base, and a 50mm will fit but I cannot get the eye relief correct without the objective touching the barrel.

WNTFW
November 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
If I understand, the problem is locating the target through the scope.

Try using both eyes open to locate, then after she is lined up she can close one eye. The off eye will help draw you to the target.

Take the bolt out for safety and practice locating objects at home if you live where that is possible.

The other thing to practice is Natural point of aim.

You can find the field of view specs on the scopes.

Fremmer
November 17, 2009, 10:51 AM
Another way to do it is to have her line up the top of the scope with the target, then look through the scope and acquire the target by slowly moving the barrel up.

Edited to add: sorry, didn't read your other question. A 50mm objective won't provide significantly more (if any) field of view. The FOV is a magnification issue. Try practicing with what she's got now, because she's still going to have to acquire the target regardless of which scope is used. But if it continues to be a problem, I'd switch her to a high quality fixed 4x scope for consistency and better FOV.

viking499
November 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
"If I understand, the problem is locating the target through the scope."

That is the problem. Was just wondering if a bigger objective would help with that any. I have been working with her to try to find objects on 4.5 power. She is doing better. Since she id fairly new to the hunting scene, I think part of it is just lack practice or experience.

Uncle Mike
November 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
It's not the gun....you should move with the gun...not the gun move and you remain still.

When that happens the gun is moving through you, or around your head, for lack of a better analogy, instead of pushing you back with the firearm.

Also, I would bet your cheekweld is...'heads up', that is your cheek is not firmly planted on the comb of the stock, this occurs when the center line of the scope is relatively high, as it would be with a scope that has a 50mm objective.

Your cheek must remain firmly on the comb of the stock while your eye is in line with the center line of the scope, if this is not the case, you may need an 'add on cheek piece' to raise your eye so that it is in line with the center of the scope.

This will allow you AND the firearm to move as one unit during recoil.

I posted this yesterday in another thread.....

Sounds like she is not getting into position behind the scope the exact same, every time. The above post was a solution to being hit with the scope during recoil, but will cure the problem of not being able to see the full field through the eyepiece also. If this is indeed your problem.

45crittergitter
November 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
A larger objective will not increase the field of view.

Too much scope, it sounds like. I'd use 1-6x up to 3-10x at most. Benefits of good scopes are more than just magnification. Even a 1x will do a lot of good sometimes.

GJgo
November 26, 2009, 12:25 AM
Also, check her for eye dominance. For example, my wife is right handed but left eyed- so she'd need a left handed rifle.
http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

Picher
November 26, 2009, 07:23 AM
Make sure the rifle stock fits her so well that she doesn't have to hold it too far out. Most women and young boys need at least 1" shorter stock than the average guy.

Next, have her mount the rifle repeatedly with her eyes closed, then open them to see where she's looking. Some people are stock crawlers, others hold normally, and when a rifle is too long for them have a head position that is way too far back.

Check to see if she is right-handed, but left-eye dominant. Just have her take an empty paper-towel or toilet paper roll in her right hand and tell her to sight through it at you with both eyes open. If it lines up with her left eye, that's the problem. She may be better off shooting left-handed.

If all of the above doesn't seem to be a problem, empty-gun mounting practice is the answer.

jmr40
November 26, 2009, 08:15 AM
The biggest problem is too much magnification. Lower powers will help, not a larger objective. One reason I have always prefered Leupold scopes is that they have a longer eye relief than any other brand.

With any scope if it is mounted too close to the eye, or too far away it is difficult to pick up the target. Set up a scope in the summer wearing a T-shirt and then try to shoot in a heavy coat and things may not work as well. With Leupold that distance is far less critical. You may have to try moving the scope forward or back slightly in the rings to fit her better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka and scope question......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!