A little advise on AR's

PDA

grahng
November 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
Just purchased a Bushmaster AR M4 style and have scoped it with a Millet on the carry handle. Everything has been tightened down. I don't seem to be able to stay on the paper when shooting. Advise please...

If you enjoyed reading about "A little advise on AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
November 17, 2009, 12:41 PM
Welcome to THR!

Is the carry handle removable?
what mount are you using?
what scope are you using?
did you boresight the scope?
what ammunition are you using?
what barrel twist?
at what range are you shooting?
are you shooting from a rest?

Pics?

zt77
November 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
an easier solution is swap your fixed carry handle for a flat top. just a suggestion.

grahng
November 17, 2009, 02:38 PM
Removeable handle-is tight
Leupold mark 4 base with Leupold PRW rings
Millet, 1-4x24
Did not boresight
Remington 55 grain MC
50 yards
twist 1-9
Harris Bipod 6 inches.....on the bench

highorder
November 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
Is everything tight, and sitting against the recoil shoulder? Everything should be pushed forward before tightening.

I would lose the carry handle, and mount directly to the receiver. You will need an extended mount to get proper eye relief. Most suggest the Larue SPR or SPR-E; I used a YHM extended riser.

You'll get a better cheek-weld, and have one less piece to worry about.

Boresight. Everything else sounds good.

grahng
November 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
Had thought about that but thought I'd see if there might be any other possibilities.
Appreciate you thoughts. Have a great day

grahng
November 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the advise. I'll give her a try. Have a good one

grahng
November 17, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just looking around for a flat top riser. Yankee Hill has one some that are two separate items. http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/rails.html second item down

Brownells has one that looks pretty good.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24621/Product/AR_15_M16_FLATTOP_RISER

Your thoughts?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
Better ammo

Lose the bipod and use a proper rest.

ugaarguy
November 17, 2009, 04:11 PM
Grahng, the Burris PEPR mount is one of the best options out there. It's not quite a LaRue, but it's not priced like a LaRue either.

Edit To Add: Your ammo choice is fine for getting sighted in. ARs can be difficult to bore sight because the lack of drop on the stock requires that the sight (irons or optic) sit pretty high above the bore compared to other rifles. I'd try moving the target closer until you can get some sort of group to see what adjustments need to be made to zero the scope.

highorder
November 17, 2009, 04:21 PM
The Burris PEPR mount IS good. I use the 5" YHM rail here:

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product260.html

grahng
November 17, 2009, 04:56 PM
is the YHM going to give me enough height to clear the front sight. The rings are mediums

highorder
November 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
You will see the front sight as fuzzy in the lower 1/3" of your FOV. The sight dissappears above 2x.

(above statement using a 1-4 DMS, YHM riser, and a .625" rings on a midlength with standard front sight.)

grahng
November 17, 2009, 05:10 PM
Gotcha.....thanks for all your help. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "A little advise on AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!