Copper or nickel plated pellets....are they really worth the extra money?

PDA

saturno_v
November 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
I definitely noticed less fouling up in the barrel...but the increase in penetration is really significant as the ammo packaging claim to be??
I haven't noticed any particular benefits in patterning over regular lead....another claim is that they should improve that because of less deformation...any experience or opinion on this??

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper or nickel plated pellets....are they really worth the extra money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kingcreek
November 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
I've used Fiocci Golden Pheasant nickel plated #5 for a few years. My comments are limited to my experience with this load only.
it patterns very well for me in my guns
it is lethal at longer ranges
and the best reason is it draws almost no feathers thru the meat compared to lead

ArmedBear
November 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
Plating can be pretty thick. The thin plating on a .22 bullet wouldn't make any difference, but the thick plating on a Berry's bullet sure would.

Hard shot does what they claim, also (less deformation, more penetration, better pattern). Of course, as with a rifle, penetration isn't the only thing that matters. Regular #4 seems to drop pheasants like a stone if I hit them. I'm not sure that more penetration is necessary or beneficial, unless you really can use #6 instead, and get more pattern density.

What I can't find is:

1. Any spec's on the thickness of the copper or nickel plating.
2. Any spec's on the hardness of the shot under the plating.

Since both of these factors would matter A LOT, it is hard to make any blanket statement about performance advantages over your average shell.

ArmedBear
November 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
the best reason is it draws almost no feathers thru the meat compared to lead

My guess would be that the best thing about plating is that it's smooth, so it doesn't stick to feathers.:)

SnakeLogan
November 17, 2009, 03:23 PM
Unplated 00 buck will travel 16+ inches in ballistic gel. That's more than enough penetration to stop any BG.

ArmedBear
November 17, 2009, 03:26 PM
Animals aren't made of ballistic gel.:)

Note what Kingcreek has found with pheasant feathers. The same would likely hold true for denim jackets, etc.

But like you said, that's more than enough, even accounting for some real-world differences between gel and bad guys.:)

Tim the student
November 17, 2009, 03:51 PM
and the best reason is it draws almost no feathers thru the meat compared to lead

Definitely good to know. I have no issues with lead, but maybe I'll get a box of the copper plated and see if this is true.

snooperman
November 17, 2009, 03:52 PM
It produces a better pattern and enhances penetration. I use it for deer hunting in the brush with OO buckshot at between 25-35 yards.

janobles14
November 17, 2009, 11:38 PM
i use copper plated now for turkeys and havent really noticed much difference in the patterns. only reason i changed is that remington started plating my favorite load. didnt notice much pattern change (but i didnt count pellets either).

evan price
November 18, 2009, 02:16 AM
I started using the Fiocchi Exacta nickle-plated 00 buckshot in my HD guns because it did much better at the range in terms of pattern and in shots against thin metal targets it penetrated better. So it's either that or Ranger LE reduced recoil in my HD guns.

wnycollector
November 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
I started using the Fiocchi Exacta nickle-plated 00 buckshot in my HD guns because it did much better at the range in terms of pattern

This is pretty much my experience with the fiocchi plated buck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper or nickel plated pellets....are they really worth the extra money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!